Page 92 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4267828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2722

Thread: NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

My Cars
    01 740 S- 08 X5-95 325ic
    so did you have to code the nbt?

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCACincinnati View Post
    If you're directing that to me, this is just regular NBT. HW07. I don't have an EVO to test with.

Edit, as promised:

Plz ignore the end guys, he got excited.
    Very cool!
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Initially, to boot it? No. Matter of fact, everything has worked without any FSC bits or emulators(including nav). Thats probably unique to my unit though. This is literally the first stab either of us have taken with NBT at all. Haven't tried connected drive or anything like that yet, and we're still waiting on the 5m display cable, gps antenna, and Bluetooth antennas. We got volume working just via can commands from the Pi's terminal tonight as well. We just used steering wheel commands from an e60 dump we have.

We made our own extension for an Ethernet jack so far. I coded a few things last night like the M splash screen, RR sound set, no legal disclaimers, etc.

Lots more work to do but it's coming along nicely!

Garage Queen: Biarritz Blue 540i6
    Daily Driver: Burger Tuned Titan Silver 535xiT
    Sold: RHD Steel Blue E46 328i
    Sold: 2006 Black Sapphire M5

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    If you're directing that to me, this is just regular NBT. HW07. I don't have an EVO to test with.

Edit, as promised:

Plz ignore the end guys, he got excited.
    hahaha Awesome Video. So you got it working with the pi?

EURO 04 M3
    Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach ARB's, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, Z8 Starter Button, BBS CHs, Lamin-X, STORM SMG Paddles, RE RTABs/RCAs, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, M3 CSL HP DME, TTFS Tune, STOPTECH ST40's, FXR 3.0 Projectors, SS Stepped headers + Catless S Pipes + Res X-Pipe + Sport Muffler, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL Steering.

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by ejaz3739 View Post
    hahaha Awesome Video. So you got it working with the pi?
    We did! That black box you see there on top of NBT in the background is the Pi. We're using this hat: http://copperhilltech.com/pican2-duo...2-3-with-smps/

My friend(who's the brains behind the code/app dev and a lot of the wiring and connector construction) will inevitably show up here at some point under the name "hotgarbagellc"(can be found on IG via said handle) for more videos/pics of various projects. I had the link posted here for awhile but he ended up getting a metric ****ton of follow requests from rando bot accounts.

I don't see much further progress being made until the antennas show up that way I can get everything positioned/wired properly in the 540...and my lady friends W211 Benz is marooned in my garage right now and she's driving the 540 -_-

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    We did! That black box you see there on top of NBT in the background is the Pi. We're using this hat: http://copperhilltech.com/pican2-duo...2-3-with-smps/

My friend(who's the brains behind the code/app dev and a lot of the wiring and connector construction) will inevitably show up here at some point under the name "hotgarbagellc"(can be found on IG via said handle) for more videos/pics of various projects. I had the link posted here for awhile but he ended up getting a metric ****ton of follow requests from rando bot accounts.

I don't see much further progress being made until the antennas show up that way I can get everything positioned/wired properly in the 540...and my lady friends W211 Benz is marooned in my garage right now and she's driving the 540 -_-
    That’s awesome! Nice work. I would definitely buy this over the car systems box if your friend can do a diy thread. Would love to install an NBT system in my e46 m3. Thank you for posting the updates.

EURO 04 M3
    Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach ARB's, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, Z8 Starter Button, BBS CHs, Lamin-X, STORM SMG Paddles, RE RTABs/RCAs, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, M3 CSL HP DME, TTFS Tune, STOPTECH ST40's, FXR 3.0 Projectors, SS Stepped headers + Catless S Pipes + Res X-Pipe + Sport Muffler, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL Steering.

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    That’s awesome! Nice work. I would definitely buy this over the car systems box if your friend can do a diy thread. Would love to install an NBT system in my e46 m3. Thank you for posting the updates.
    Thank you! We'll end up putting a thread together once we have a finished product for sure. At this point it's just a matter of time. The e46 will be essentially identical for most of the main bits...and seeing that we've got all the CAN commands for E6x cars too, eventually, I'll have this in my E61.

Just to give everyone an idea of what we've got into this so far, here's a rough parts/price list:

NBT HU HW7/iDrive Controller(it came with an F10 climate/radio faceplate too)- $250 eBay
    Raspberry Pi
    3- $29.99
    F15 X5 CID- $100 eBay
    5m CID Cable- $46 eBay
    PiCAN2 Duo CAN-Bus Board- $95ish

GPS Antenna- $12 eBay
    Bluetooth Antenna- $16 eBay
    Various Blade Connectors/Pins/Tools- $50ish?
    1/8th" thick black ABS Plastic Sheet(crafting the iDrive controller bezel from it) $6 Amazon
    I'll be dremeling/sanding/painting the cars OEM MK2 Nav bezel to mount the CID in the dash- $Free
    Countless man hours in R&D over the years it's taken to come to this point? Priceless.

All said and done I'll probably have less than $600 in this project. YMMV.

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    Thank you! We'll end up putting a thread together once we have a finished product for sure. At this point it's just a matter of time. The e46 will be essentially identical for most of the main bits...and seeing that we've got all the CAN commands for E6x cars too, eventually, I'll have this in my E61.

Just to give everyone an idea of what we've got into this so far, here's a rough parts/price list:

NBT HU HW7/iDrive Controller(it came with an F10 climate/radio faceplate too)- $250 eBay
    Raspberry Pi
    3- $29.99
    F15 X5 CID- $100 eBay
    5m CID Cable- $46 eBay

GPS Antenna- $12 eBay
    1/8th" thick black ABS Plastic Sheet(crafting the iDrive controller bezel from it) $6 Amazon
    I'll be dremeling/sanding/painting the cars OEM MK2 Nav bezel to mount the CID in the dash- $Free
    Countless man hours in R&D over the years it's taken to come to this point? Priceless.

All said and done I'll probably have less than $600 in this project. YMMV.
    Perfect. That would be awesome. Thank you.

EURO 04 M3

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    There's one thing we need assistance with so far guys, what's the story on the backup camera? I get that the emulator box "handles" it, but we're sorta stuck on that bit. I'd like to get the pins squared away before we mount it in the car

EDIT

Figured it out.
    Last edited by BMWCACincinnati; 03-02-2018 at 07:35 PM.

My Cars
    01 740 S- 08 X5-95 325ic
    to fashion my idrive controller i bought a f10 console frame off ebay and cut out the idrive controller section,placed it in my e38 console.all brackets in tact. for most of the main bits...and seeing that we've got all the CAN commands for E6x cars too, eventually, I'll have this in my E61.

Raspberry Pi
    3- $29.99
    F15 X5 CID- $100 eBay
    5m CID Cable- $46 eBay

GPS Antenna- $12 eBay

All said and done I'll probably have less than $600 in this project. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    If this doesn't work out using the E39's OEM storage tray with the "garage door" looking lid/this ABS plastic sheet I picked up from amazon, I may go that route. We've modified the console surround(the bottom part of the cubby just unclips from the console trim) and I'll be using the OEM iDrive trim ring to stencil on the ABS sheet so it'll look as factory as possible. We'll mount the plastic sheeting over the OEM cubby, snap the trim ring onto the controller, and it'll fit firmly inside the ABS plastic piece.

We're going to bevel the edge of the amazon ABS plastic so it'll be a smooth edge, then we'll sand it, prime it, and paint it matte black to match the rest of the black plastic on the console. Attached are the latest progress pics I have for the controller/cubby. The idea is to have it look as similar as possible to Germanik's solution. Given that I don't have a Germanik's one on hand though, so it's just trial and error.

iDriveBeta1.jpgiDriveBeta2.jpg

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I really like that you've gone to the roots of this thread I started 2 years ago and have reimagined how to do some of the things that were designed so long ago, but done them better. I'm watching your progress with great interest as I'd like to see how you tackle the screen bezel. It's something I still haven't done on either of my e39s and until theshafro finishes his design, I'm still curious to see how others solve it.

I would also love to see the adapter you guys are designing work more reliably for our cars. The Carsystems adapter works for the most part, but still seems to cause glitches and costs a fortune. Would be great to see a more affordable option be available with an open source aspect that will allow customization.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E39 M5
    I bought a used center console to play around with. Here's my current thinking for mounting. I havent fitted in the car, but i'm slightly worried about the bottom of the iDrive controller hitting the console brace thingie (where the screw below the hazard button mounts).

IMG_20180307_093147971.jpg

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    I really like that you've gone to the roots of this thread I started 2 years ago and have reimagined how to do some of the things that were designed so long ago, but done them better. I'm watching your progress with great interest as I'd like to see how you tackle the screen bezel. It's something I still haven't done on either of my e39s and until theshafro finishes his design, I'm still curious to see how others solve it.

I would also love to see the adapter you guys are designing work more reliably for our cars. The Carsystems adapter works for the most part, but still seems to cause glitches and costs a fortune. Would be great to see a more affordable option be available with an open source aspect that will allow customization.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I've been on here reading about all of this since early 2015(back when I still had my E60 M5), and even now I'm absolutely enthralled with the idea of NBT or better in these cars. It's just such a perfect solution. You guys have done a LOT for this community and efforts from people like you and other longtime members certainly haven't gone un-noticed. It's motivated people like us to take things on like this and simply not take no for an answer. It's one thing when a person tells you "no", but we simply don't stand for a car or computer telling us "no." As hotgarbagellc says from time to time, "I'll will it into existence."

I've got some things on order via Prime that should make this bezel a lot easier to work with. As it stands, the hollowed out MK2 bezel opening is considerably wider than the 10.25" CID. It's also not plastic, but metal so it's been interesting to work with. I just absolutely refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for a couple of pieces of plastic. I won't go too far into it until I start piecing it together but I'll be using:

Epoxy Putty(It's workable like play-doh, dries like steel, and it's sandable so it'll be very easy to manipulate it into a workable shape...plus it'll bond well to the existing bezel.
    Etching primer
    VHT Satin Black paint-This emulates the other black plastic in the car very well. We'll also be using it to paint the iDrive controller mount.
    Various types of sandpaper and a couple of other bits.

The Raspberry Pi has had a place in one or both of our E39's for a couple of years now. It's pretty well developed and continues to gain functionality. There's a lot hotgarbagellc has been able to pull off with the Pi just via iBus manipulation. Functions including but not limited to:

-iBus/CanBus emulation(duh)
    -Auto Door Unlock on Key Out
    -Cluster text like song title, artist info, coolant temp, etc(instead of having to go into the service menu)
    -A2DP, even on cars with DSP.
    -Steering wheel controls, controlling bluetooth audio coming from the Pi. Back, Next, Pause, and Mute are all working.
    -Welcome lights upon unlock
    -Auto Headlights(cars pre 2003). It takes data from the internet each evening like sunrise/sunset time, cloud cover, etc. to determine day to day when the auto lights are activated. Only issue with this is tunnels so it's not fool proof. Considered adding a daylight sensor but since it's just us two using it, it's not really an inconvenience.
    -Comfort/Highway/Lane Change Turn Signal. Currently set to 5 flashes but it is configurable.
    -The iDrive controller is working both with his setup(no NBT but KODI running on the Pi, and NBT). Currently he's even able to use the touchpad to control volume on the Pi.

We're working on a few key features that will allow some of the F Chassis cars user configurable convenience bits(selectable in NBT) to work in the E39, this I'm very excited about. I won't divulge that yet as it's always a game of wait and see. We've both got fairly demanding day jobs that consume a lot of our time so when we're working on this we're usually burning the midnight oil and ignoring other day to day responsibilities. It will be 100% open source but at this point until we know everything is working as it should it will not be released.

I'm glad this is garnering some interest. It'll definitely take some elbow grease and fairly specialized knowledge to replicate what we're doing here but I think a lot of people here will be able to put it to good use.

Here's a couple of links that may be of interest as well. I'm not sure if his instagram is private, but mine definitely is. Don't be afraid to follow either one if you'd like to check out various projects done over the past few years. Keep in mind these are our personal instagrams so, it's not *JUST* car stuff. The GITHUB link is where you'll find the really technical bits, source code, etc. Keep in mind this is all 100% use at own risk.

https://www.instagram.com/hotgarbagellc/
    https://www.instagram.com/_itcouldbeworse/
    https://github.com/kmalinich

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    I bought a used center console to play around with. Here's my current thinking for mounting. I havent fitted in the car, but i'm slightly worried about the bottom of the iDrive controller hitting the console brace thingie (where the screw below the hazard button mounts).

IMG_20180307_093147971.jpg
    I've considered this too, and frankly I like this solution better than the one we're using now, ours was just the path of least resistance. I've got a spare console laying around too that I'll eventually have a go at once it's in the car functioning. The cubby mounted controller setup we have will suffice for now. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

EDIT:

This is the unpainted, but otherwise mostly finished product. Currently the top is just double sided taped to the cars original cubby chassis. Once it's epoxy'd there will be hardly any lip at all.

IMG_20180307_164251_01.jpg
    IMG_20180307_164230_01.jpg
    Last edited by BMWCACincinnati; 03-07-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Pictures

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi

NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

I've been on here reading about all of this since early 2015(back when I still had my E60 M5), and even now I'm absolutely enthralled with the idea of NBT or better in these cars. It's just such a perfect solution. You guys have done a LOT for this community and efforts from people like you and other longtime members certainly haven't gone un-noticed. It's motivated people like us to take things on like this and simply not take no for an answer. It's one thing when a person tells you "no", but we simply don't stand for a car or computer telling us "no." As hotgarbagellc says from time to time, "I'll will it into existence."

I've got some things on order via Prime that should make this bezel a lot easier to work with. As it stands, the hollowed out MK2 bezel opening is considerably wider than the 10.25" CID. It's also not plastic, but metal so it's been interesting to work with. I just absolutely refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for a couple of pieces of plastic. I won't go too far into it until I start piecing it together but I'll be using:

Epoxy Putty(It's workable like play-doh, dries like steel, and it's sandable so it'll be very easy to manipulate it into a workable shape...plus it'll bond well to the existing bezel.
    Etching primer
    VHT Satin Black paint-This emulates the other black plastic in the car very well. We'll also be using it to paint the iDrive controller mount.
    Various types of sandpaper and a couple of other bits.

The Raspberry Pi has had a place in one or both of our E39's for a couple of years now. It's pretty well developed and continues to gain functionality. There's a lot hotgarbagellc has been able to pull off with the Pi just via iBus manipulation. Functions including but not limited to:

-iBus/CanBus emulation(duh)
    -Auto Door Unlock on Key Out
    -Cluster text like song title, artist info, coolant temp, etc(instead of having to go into the service menu)
    -Steering wheel controls, controlling bluetooth audio coming from the Pi. Back, Next, Pause, and Mute are all working.
    -Auto Headlights(cars pre 2003). It takes data from the internet each evening like sunrise/sunset time, cloud cover, etc. to determine day to day when the auto lights are activated. Only issue with this is tunnels so it's not fool proof. Considered adding a daylight sensor but since it's just us two using it, it's not really an inconvenience.
    -Comfort/Highway/Lane Change Turn Signal. Currently set to 5 flashes but it is configurable.
    -The iDrive controller is working both with his setup(no NBT but KODI running on the Pi, and NBT). Currently he's even able to use the touchpad to control volume on the Pi.

We're working on a few key features that will allow some of the F Chassis cars user configurable convenience bits(selectable in NBT) to work in the E39, this I'm very excited about. I won't divulge that yet as it's always a game of wait and see. We've both got fairly demanding day jobs that consume a lot of our time so when we're working on this we're usually burning the midnight oil and ignoring other day to day responsibilities. It will be 100% open source but at this point until we know everything is working as it should it will not be released.

I'm glad this is garnering some interest. It'll definitely take some elbow grease and fairly specialized knowledge to replicate what we're doing here but I think a lot of people here will be able to put it to good use.

Here's a couple of links that may be of interest as well. I'm not sure if his instagram is private, but mine definitely is. Don't be afraid to follow either one if you'd like to check out various projects done over the past few years. Keep in mind these are our personal instagrams so, it's not *JUST* car stuff. The GITHUB link is where you'll find the really technical bits, source code, etc. Keep in mind this is all 100% use at own risk.

https://www.instagram.com/hotgarbagellc/
    https://www.instagram.com/_itcouldbeworse/
    https://github.com/kmalinich

I've considered this too, and frankly I like this solution better than the one we're using now, ours was just the path of least resistance. I've got a spare console laying around too that I'll eventually have a go at once it's in the car functioning. The cubby mounted controller setup we have will suffice for now. Keep us posted on how it turns out.
    So looking forward to this. Please don’t forget us E46 M3 Guys. I’m willing to be a guinea pig or my car is actually lol

EURO 04 M3

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW

Wow. If you put together a kit+code that enabled the just those features, I'd happily spend like $200. Add in a way to read an SD card for music and display/navigate it on the factory nav screen... Man, shut up and take my money!

I, personally, won't be doing an NBT retrofit any time soon, but it's so cool to see this stuff done.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 M5
    Hi there fam, I'm the guy that BMWCACincinnati was talking about, I'm the one that wrote the code for the app.

Very long time lurker, huuuge fan of blackknight530i, TerraPhantm, the whole DME tuning/hacking band of brothers. I've done a few SAI deletes, put the oil temp in 540i clusters, and of course kept a few BMWs of my own running with the community's help, hopefully I'll find a way give back.

It'll definitely still be a little bit before I can publish a DIY guide thread - just to set some expectations. Once we've got NBT in the car (just waiting on a quadlock I think) we can take more/better pictures and actually put together a real parts list a guide on how to do NBT retrofit on the cheap.

Also, the app is currently written in Node.js. That may change/require porting to a different language as I continue investigating more embedded solutions.

It is MIT-licensed free and open source, and the code will forever stay that way.

I'd like to essentially offer two paths:
    • A turn-key 'black box' of sorts
      • Something that rivals the existing Germaniks or Carsystems adapters (hi carsystems!)
      • Something that you'd pay for, but would require 6 wire splices and you're good to go

• A list of software installation instructions and parts list
      • As it sits now, this (mostly) requires:
        • At least 1 Raspberry Pi 3 or equivalent (hell, you could run a whole desktop PC in the car if you wanted to)
        • Some sort of socketcan-compatible CANBUS interface for the Pi (needs to present as can0 can1 etc)
        • At least 1 Rolf Resler-style USB IBUS/KBUS adapter or equivalent (needs to present as /dev/ttyUSB*)
        • Enough linux knowledge to (roughly):
          • Set up your desired Linux distro on the Pi
          • Get the data bus interfaces set up and working
          • Install nodejs 9.x
          • git clone the interface daemon and client-side daemon (i'm working on a better naming convention, I promise) and npm install the dependencies
          • Set up the config files with your desired options (it will populate and save as config.json after the first run)
          • Set up the linux systemd services
          • Enable and start the services

For someone who's looking to run Kodi in their car (I do) as a free NBT replacement, obviously there is merit to running an entire Linux machine in the car - however, just for NBT retrofit or other niceties (auto lights/welcome lights/comfort turn/etc) it would make more sense to have a more embedded platform. Time will tell as the project grows and matures..

Or someone can just rifle through the repo, grab all the documented CANBUS/IBUS/KBUS codes and make something themselves. Who knows

I'm sure at some point here soon this little project of mine will have it's own thread. I certainly didn't mean to intentionally keep it underground for the last couple years (although it has been available on my GitHub for about that long) - I just wanted it to be nice before I showed up on the forum(s) - I hold the folks here in very high esteem.

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by kmalinich View Post
    Hi there fam, I'm the guy that BMWCACincinnati was talking about, I'm the one that wrote the code for the app.

Very long time lurker, huuuge fan of blackknight530i, TerraPhantm, the whole DME tuning/hacking band of brothers. I've done a few SAI deletes, put the oil temp in 540i clusters, and of course kept a few BMWs of my own running with the community's help, hopefully I'll find a way give back.

It'll definitely still be a little bit before I can publish a DIY guide thread - just to set some expectations. Once we've got NBT in the car (just waiting on a quadlock I think) we can take more/better pictures and actually put together a real parts list a guide on how to do NBT retrofit on the cheap.

Also, the app is currently written in Node.js. That may change/require porting to a different language as I continue investigating more embedded solutions.

It is MIT-licensed free and open source, and the code will forever stay that way.

I'd like to essentially offer two paths:
    • A turn-key 'black box' of sorts
      • Something that rivals the existing Germaniks or Carsystems adapters (hi carsystems!)
      • Something that you'd pay for, but would require 6 wire splices and you're good to go

• A list of software installation instructions and parts list
      • As it sits now, this (mostly) requires:
        • At least 1 Raspberry Pi 3 or equivalent (hell, you could run a whole desktop PC in the car if you wanted to)
        • Some sort of socketcan-compatible CANBUS interface for the Pi (needs to present as can0 can1 etc)
        • At least 1 Rolf Resler-style USB IBUS/KBUS adapter or equivalent (needs to present as /dev/ttyUSB*)
        • Enough linux knowledge to (roughly):
          • Set up your desired Linux distro on the Pi
          • Get the data bus interfaces set up and working
          • Install nodejs 9.x
          • git clone the interface daemon and client-side daemon (i'm working on a better naming convention, I promise) and npm install the dependencies
          • Set up the config files with your desired options (it will populate and save as config.json after the first run)
          • Set up the linux systemd services
          • Enable and start the services

For someone who's looking to run Kodi in their car (I do) as a free NBT replacement, obviously there is merit to running an entire Linux machine in the car - however, just for NBT retrofit or other niceties (auto lights/welcome lights/comfort turn/etc) it would make more sense to have a more embedded platform. Time will tell as the project grows and matures..

Or someone can just rifle through the repo, grab all the documented CANBUS/IBUS/KBUS codes and make something themselves. Who knows

I'm sure at some point here soon this little project of mine will have it's own thread. I certainly didn't mean to intentionally keep it underground for the last couple years (although it has been available on my GitHub for about that long) - I just wanted it to be nice before I showed up on the forum(s) - I hold the folks here in very high esteem.
    Have you thought of being able to embed/plug in a sim card and enable OTA/IoT functionality?

A USB 'dongle' or wifi hotspot in the car and "app" functionality would definitely put it over the edge and push me to start thinking more seriously about getting in to this.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 M5
    It does already have a websocket dashboard webUI for viewing CANBUS data (RPM, wheel speed sensors, temperatures, steering angle+velocity, DSC intervention amount, etc), it's been on my list to add functionality to that to manipulate the config.

If I find a way to use an embedded device and release hardware for sale, it'd probably be easier to offer people a USB update via laptop or from a USB flash drive or something, rather than force people to provide a data-enabled SIM card. If such a device had WiFi support of course there would need to be a way to enter their WiFi credentials, which is a whole hurdle in itself.. these are on a very long list of issues related to releasing hardware like this, which is why it's currently a Node.js application on a Raspberry Pi - updating is as simple as any other update, and can be automated, etc

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    So looking forward to this. Please don’t forget us E46 M3 Guys. I’m willing to be a guinea pig or my car is actually lol
    This should work great for the E46 as well, since for the most part cars of this generation speak the same language. There are some caveats but I'll leave those details for kmalinich to fill in, since like I said previously, the hardware/software side of this is 100% his brain-child. For the most part I've been the guy watching and throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I turn wrenches, he kills it with the electrical, software, and putting the plan into action lol.

Very excited for this. As of today, finally have both of the antennas I need. Gotta get to work on the bezel this weekend for the screen, and we'll hopefully get something going in the car this weekend.

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    This should work great for the E46 as well, since for the most part cars of this generation speak the same language. There are some caveats but I'll leave those details for kmalinich to fill in, since like I said previously, the hardware/software side of this is 100% his brain-child. For the most part I've been the guy watching and throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I turn wrenches, he kills it with the electrical, software, and putting the plan into action lol.

Very excited for this. As of today, finally have both of the antennas I need. Gotta get to work on the bezel this weekend for the screen, and we'll hopefully get something going in the car this weekend.
    That sounds great bud! Thank you

EURO 04 M3

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Want to reserve this post number to reference anyone contacting me about a wiring kit using a CarSystems adapter, here's the breakdown and images to explain. You can PM me for pricing if interested.

Main wiring harness only:
    https://i.imgur.com/SgSKvl3.jpg

Full wiring kit:
    https://i.imgur.com/Y5jxisV.jpg

Option: AUX port+wiring:
    https://i.imgur.com/QjiFzYI.jpg

Option: Coding cable:
    https://i.imgur.com/1ciKK5S.jpg
    Last edited by theshafro; 03-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    2000 540i6, 2008 535xiT
    Hi all. Finished most of the install last night. I'll let kmalinich chime in with the details but here's a little teaser. Just have to finish the bezel and Aux/USB wiring.IMG_20180311_085328_461.jpg
    20180311_053708.jpg

Got a little creative with mounting an OEM USB port there in the aftermarket cup holder.

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    Hi all. Finished most of the install last night. I'll let kmalinich chime in with the details but here's a little teaser. Just have to finish the bezel and Aux/USB wiring.IMG_20180311_085328_461.jpg
    20180311_053708.jpg

Got a little creative with mounting an OEM USB port there in the aftermarket cup holder.
    looks great

EURO 04 M3

Page 92 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4267828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast