Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

My Cars
    01 E39 530i,05 E53 4.8IS
    Thanks Blacknight & BMWPlanetDude!

Will be ripping out soon my cluttered Centrafuse based Zotac Ion carpc.

And start fresh with BMW NBT infotainment.
    01 E39 530i - SOLD !
    05 E53 4.8is

Pics of Bianca (E39) and Betsy (E53)

My Cars
    With wheels
    NBT EVO is out so for those who do not fancy relocating their radio loom all the way to the trunk, there is hope. Should fit on the front. The new NBT is 1.5 DIN with even better features such as gesture recognition, touch screen etc.

Last edited by BMWPlanetDude; 01-29-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPlanetDude View Post
    NBT EVO is out so for those who do not fancy relocating their radio loom all the way to the trunk, there is hop. The new NBT is 1.5 DIN with even better features such as gesture recognition, touch screen etc.

Where could that be placed in an e39?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Where could that be placed in an e39?
    What do you mean? In the dash of course. As opposed to the trunk. That was the point of my post.
    Radio does not need to be straight, you don't really need access to the CD drive itself. USB port supports lossless music, AVI files etc. Built-in BT supports lossless music streaming too. So even if the NBT is 100% hidden behind a panel, it does not matter. You only need access to the USB plug itself.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    What do you mean? In the dash of course. As opposed to the trunk. That was the point of my post.
    Radio does not need to be straight, you don't really need access to the CD drive itself. USB port supports lossless music, AVI files etc. Built-in BT supports lossless music streaming too. So even if the NBT is 100% hidden behind a panel, it does not matter. You only need access to the USB plug itself.
    The spot where the radio goes is already too shallow for most units to fit, and you're suggesting putting the display in front of it. I didn't think that would work. I have a double-din unit in my e39 right now and I modified the ducting and it just barely fits flush.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    With wheels
    The spot where the radio goes is already too shallow for most units to fit, and you're suggesting putting the display in front of it. I didn't think that would work. I have a double-din unit in my e39 right now and I modified the ducting and it just barely fits flush.
    Yeah I think it would fit with the screen in front of it. If not just install the radio to a 45' angle and screen on the front, should definitely fit.

Going out to my car right now to try the NBT, I made the loom last night plug and play, I need to see this running in my e39 now.
    Will keep you posted in a 1h or so.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yeah I think it would fit with the screen in front of it. If not just install the radio to a 45' angle and screen on the front, should definitely fit.

Going out to my car right now to try the NBT, I made the loom last night plug and play, I need to see this running in my e39 now.
    Will keep you posted in a 1h or so.
    Sweet! I look forward to seeing that.

-Paul

My Cars
    01 E39 530i,05 E53 4.8IS
    I need to see this running in my e39 now.
    That'll be awesome!

Kindly share and document your install please!
    cheers!
    01 E39 530i - SOLD !
    05 E53 4.8is

My Cars
    With wheels
    There you go, first start in the e39, so far so good. My wiring was good. Plug and play. Wiring is messy of course, I am just experimenting and testing at this stage.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    There you go, first start in the e39, so far so good. My wiring was good. Plug and play. Wiring is messy of course, I am just experimenting and testing at this stage.

Awesome! Sound was already working as well? Do you have DSP? Are you using the Ibus to NBT adapter?

-Paul

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Uh..... holy s***. I was lurking this thread and I was like pfffft this will never ever work. Just a pipe dream. Seeing it working.... wow I need this. Shamefully this is one of the reasons I wanted an e60... I love my media. (Also want that 535i turbo charged 6... hnnnng.)
    This is definitely my next mod when I can afford it haha. Has anyone looked at mounting the screen above the vents? I might look into drawing up a bracket in cad and 3d printing it out to support it sitting up there.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-20-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Profanity

My Cars
    With wheels
    Awesome! Sound was already working as well? Do you have DSP? Are you using the Ibus to NBT adapter?
    Yes sure without the emulator, the radio does not even come on. Providing 12v to it is not enough, it only wakes up with emulated CAN messages. That's what the emulator does. I don't have DSP and my radio is an Alpine at the moment, so I have RCA running all the way to my amp on the trunk. That means I won't have sound until I run new audio wires ;-(

- - - Updated - - -

Small video too

Last edited by BMWPlanetDude; 01-29-2015 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    So does the obc work?

My Cars
    With wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Toushi View Post
    So does the obc work?
    I think it does normally but my OBC module was removed a while back, I could not be bothered having it alongside with my alpine radio. So if I plug it back I think it is supposed to work

My Cars
    01 E39 530i,05 E53 4.8IS
    Wow!

Thoughts/ideas on where you planning to mount your I-drive controller?
    01 E39 530i - SOLD !
    05 E53 4.8is

My Cars
    2002 530i
    So I spent some time in my car mapping out where stuff would go... I think the display would fit perfecting right above the vents.... if anyone is delving under the dash anytime soon I would like some measurements to make a mounting piece in CAD. I may be doing it soonish to replace my HVAC fan. Joy.
    I plan on putting the idrive right next to my gear lever, there seems to be enough room. I'll take a pick and mock it up in photoshop to show off my ideas. This is getting me so pumped right now, you guys don't even know.

Now it looks like you can but the NBT EVO where the current radio is with some cleverness. I'll probably have some kind of leather/plastic panel custom made to fit over it, and have the wood trip still be in place. Now to source the parts...

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Very cool. Any technical reason this wouldn't work on an E46? And how integrated is it -- would you be able to use steering controls to control the radio and trigger voice commands for example?
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-29-2015 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Very cool. Any technical reason this wouldn't work on an E46?
    Should be the same.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I think it does normally but my OBC module was removed a while back, I could not be bothered having it alongside with my alpine radio. So if I plug it back I think it is supposed to work
    The OBC is not reliant on the MID you took out, it's part of the General Module and cluster, so if your IBUS to NBT adapter is correctly wired up, it should work properly without the MID being plugged in. Think of the MID like the Monitor and CIC controller combined. It doesn't contain any of the brains, just the controls and display.

- - - Updated - - -

Who did you get your emulator/IBUS adapter from? Is it just an emulator, or is it the full IBUS adapter as seen here: http://carsystems.com.ua/bmw-product...fit-adapter-en?

-Paul

My Cars
    With wheels
    The OBC is not reliant on the MID you took out, it's part of the General Module and cluster, so if your IBUS to NBT adapter is correctly wired up, it should work properly without the MID being plugged in. Think of the MID like the Monitor and CIC controller combined. It doesn't contain any of the brains, just the controls and display.

- - - Updated - - -

Who did you get your emulator/IBUS adapter from? Is it just an emulator, or is it the full IBUS adapter as seen here: http://carsystems.com.ua/bmw-product...fit-adapter-en?
    No, without the OBC module everything is set to 0, MPG to 99, range not working etc, I can not reset using the BC stalk.
    My MPG has not moved from 99 since I removed the OBC module. If I plug it back it is going to start processing again and my fuel consumption etc will roll again to actual values

I am a reseller/installer, look up for that Irish/British distributor on their site, this is me.

Cheers
    Last edited by BMWPlanetDude; 01-30-2015 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Ok, it's because you have the "low" general module. The "high" obc works without the MID, though I can only view the values on the Ike and switch between them on the stalk. They do calculate mpg, range, etc without the MID though, because I just plug mine in whenever I need to reset them, then unplug the MID.

-Paul

My Cars
    With wheels
    Ok, it's because you have the "low" general module. The "high" obc works without the MID, though I can only view the values on the Ike and switch between them on the stalk. They do calculate mpg, range, etc without the MID though, because I just plug mine in whenever I need to reset them, then unplug the MID.
    Yep ok

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I am a reseller/installer, look up for that Irish/British distributor on their site, this is me.
    I am guessing your are Mick then. You're the one I spoke to about getting these to the USA. Glad you're posting in here and I get to watch your progress. I can't wait to see how you handle the mounting of the NBT and monitor.

-Paul

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    . Its on. Going in the 750 this spring.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-18-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Implied profanity
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    . Its on. Going in the 750 this spring.
    Sweet! Document it.
    Last edited by JimLev; 03-18-2015 at 06:57 PM.

-Paul

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast