Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9598499100101102103104105106107108109
Results 2,701 to 2,722 of 2722

Thread: NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    Hey! Yes, the FEM (Front Electronic Module) is "the gateway." Off hand, it manages the front of the car lighting, interior lighting, anything related to authenticating start, intercommunication between different buses and tons of other things. It does a lot of the heavy lifting in the F2x, F3x cars. The architecture is slightly different with 5 and 6 series - the FEM is an evolution of that design, with the goal of decreasing the overall modules in the car. It gets a massive 4GA wire directly to it. It works in tandom with the REM (rear electronic module). I have heard I may need the cluster to wake it up.

The FEM is undeniably getting power (still under the assumption is fully functioning), but is clearly looking for some other dependency to wake up and go into key position 0. I'm not sure what it is looking for. Like I think it has some internal checklist of things it wants to see before it starts behaving as normal, but what that is is not documented. Along with iDrive, I want to retrofit comfort access, so I need to fire up this FEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakeem530i View Post
    Not really familiar with the modules in the newer cars. What's FEM? Does it wake up with canbus signals?
    Edit: someone ripped the BMWTIS on the FEM here: https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-front-electronic-module-fem/

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech566 View Post
    Here is a rough pic of the setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this is the thread you're referencing. Had to do a quick search to try to remember. If it's not powering on with the key and setup you have then maybe the key or connection is bad.

Are you able to send can signals to test it out? Should power on with the key IGN can signals.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    Hey! Yes, the FEM (Front Electronic Module) is "the gateway." Off hand, it manages the front of the car lighting, interior lighting, anything related to authenticating start, intercommunication between different buses and tons of other things. It does a lot of the heavy lifting in the F2x, F3x cars. The architecture is slightly different with 5 and 6 series - the FEM is an evolution of that design, with the goal of decreasing the overall modules in the car. It gets a massive 4GA wire directly to it. It works in tandom with the REM (rear electronic module). I have heard I may need the cluster to wake it up.

The FEM is undeniably getting power (still under the assumption is fully functioning), but is clearly looking for some other dependency to wake up and go into key position 0. I'm not sure what it is looking for. Like I think it has some internal checklist of things it wants to see before it starts behaving as normal, but what that is is not documented. Along with iDrive, I want to retrofit comfort access, so I need to fire up this FEM.

Edit: someone ripped the BMWTIS on the FEM here: https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-front-electronic-module-fem/
    It's pretty common to need a cluster to power up additional components as it is typically the gateway for all the different busses in the car. I'd actually be surprised if you didn't need a cluster to power all that stuff up.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    I did notice that while looking at Ted's Bluebus code so that I could correct a display cut-out issue on v1.3. In an E39 at least, the IKE seems to be the overall coordinator; responsible for broadcasts about the ign status etc. Must be designed to boot up fast. Actually, after analyzing Ted's code, I'm amazed that our cars start reliably when you turn the key lol...

My Cars
    06 330Ci ZHP
    I have a space F30 cluster lying about. Let me get it pinned in tomorrow and I'll report back!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    YoitsTmac, are you still working on making a replacement adapter for NBT in Exx cars with Ibus? Carsystems is no longer making them for our cars, so I'm hoping there are still some alternatives out there. My adapter I've been using in my 2005 Range Rover died due to water damage and I may be able to fix it, but I would love for an alternative that might allow for some additional features. One thing that would be great is the ability to connect the NBT to the Range Rover's MOST bus amp directly without needing to convert from the analog outputs to MOST using the Avin adapter. It does work well using the AudioControl LC1 line out converter, but unfortunately, since I don't have control of the full MOST amp, I can't enable the entire 14 speakers, so it's not using the center channel or the rear surround speakers in the D pillars. Would be nice if I could get those to work, but it does sound pretty good anyways.

In any case, it would be nice to just have additional options for an adapter.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    Hey there. I am indeed working on this. Got distracted with dating and work and the like. This is a product I fully intend to finish over the next 12 months, if not sooner.

However, I am also trying to start a new business and because there is a broader market for it, that’s getting priority. But this will be on the Built For Redline channel soon

My Cars
    04 E46 M3 JB/Kiwi
    Hey there. I am indeed working on this. Got distracted with dating and work and the like. This is a product I fully intend to finish over the next 12 months, if not sooner.

However, I am also trying to start a new business and because there is a broader market for it, that’s getting priority. But this will be on the Built For Redline channel soon
    Great news! Can’t wait!

EURO 04 M3
    Current Mods: GC DA's, Eibach ARB's, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, Z8 Starter Button, BBS CHs, Lamin-X, STORM SMG Paddles, RE RTABs/RCAs, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, M3 CSL HP DME, TTFS Tune, STOPTECH ST40's, FXR 3.0 Projectors, SS Stepped headers + Catless S Pipes + Res X-Pipe + Sport Muffler, OEM CSL Roof, OEM CSL Steering.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Hey YoitsTmac, just wanted to touch base with you and see if there was any new progress on your emulator. I was unable to fix my Range Rover's emulator and I've been having to swap the one from my M5 back and forth when driving each car, which sucks, LOL. I know, 1st world problems.

Also, if there's anyone in this thread that decided to buy an emulator and decided against installing the NBT in their car and still has their emulator, please reach out to me if you're interested in selling it. Would really like to have one working again.

-Paul

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci

NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

I have a guy who said he can get me one to reverse engineer, but he’s hard to reach.

I just bought a trim piece today and unwound my 430i body harness last night. I am also designing a button panel for the 1-8 buttons, forward and next. So I am trying to make an all inclusive solution but will make a translator separately.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I have a guy who said he can get me one to reverse engineer, but he’s hard to reach.

I just bought a trim piece today and unwound my 430i body harness last night. I am also designing a button panel for the 1-8 buttons, forward and next. So I am trying to make an all inclusive solution but will make a translator separately.
    Is it Shady? He mentioned that he was going to send his spare one off for reverse engineering. I can reach out to him again if you want. He's in this thread as well, but hasn't posted in a while.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Is it Shady? He mentioned that he was going to send his spare one off for reverse engineering. I can reach out to him again if you want. He's in this thread as well, but hasn't posted in a while.

It is not,no. If you have his contact, you can definitely send him my way. I have can bus sniffing tools. I also have a test car IE owner is willing to be a test car. But reverse engineering an existing solution will drastically speed things up.

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    It is not,no. If you have his contact, you can definitely send him my way. I have can bus sniffing tools. I also have a test car IE owner is willing to be a test car. But reverse engineering an existing solution will drastically speed things up.
    Send me an email; info@speedhavenracing.com. I have a spare or two here that I'm reserving for myself

You should also contact Hakeem530i, he did a bunch of sniffing (CAN and cocaine) when working on his raspberry pi setup. Replicating the adapter would be great, modifying it to fix bugs and other features would be even better.
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci

NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

Been working hard trying to build a harness. I bought a body harness from a 2017 430i and have been slowly stripping that harness between entertainment, audio, safety, convenience (locking, windows) and drivetrain.

My cat misses her living room

Edit: huge thanks to thefrasho for the bits he sent. Need to re-link up with him tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by YoitsTmac; 09-18-2023 at 01:09 PM.

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5
    Anyone know what happened to Bimmer Retrofit? Their website is gone, can't find an Instagram, emails bounce or no reply, and FB page not active. Are we out of luck for any options for the adapters?
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    I am full speed now on this project. Stand by

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I am full speed now on this project. Stand by
    Woot! Glad to hear it!

-Paul

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    Anyone have a 3D scanner to make a custom dash enclosure for new entrants? Can pay postage both ways.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Anyone have a 3D scanner to make a custom dash enclosure for new entrants? Can pay postage both ways.
    Enclosure for what?

I just got a 3d scanner for Christmas and haven't played with it much yet, but I could scan some stuff for you.

-Paul

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328Ci
    I have to mount the screen to the dash and my enclosure will have 1-6 favorite buttons

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I have to mount the screen to the dash and my enclosure will have 1-6 favorite buttons

Theshafro made a mount for the screen already. Maybe he can work with you to modify it.

-Paul

My Cars
    2002 E39 M5

If you run the 10.25" screen, there's no space to add any buttons really. Unless you mean in one of the other panels below, like the HVAC or the seat heater section
    '02 TiAg/Blk E39 ///M5
    '08
    JZB/FR E92 ///M3

Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9598499100101102103104105106107108109