Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NBT/CIC/CCC retrofit in E39/E38/E53

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
    The screen needs to be integrated better. It really does.
    ForumRunner_20150307_212728.png
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    Those two are nice! Who sells the frames?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Looks like the F56 Mini Cooper Idrive controller might fit next to shifter. Seems skinnier than the BMW version. I bought the $10 cover piece to see.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    E38
    This seems really cool, but I'm really unsure how to feel about it! It's as if it sticks out like a sore thumb in these cars.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    It's funny, I have this system in my F01 and I'm not sure it's worth going through the trouble to retrofit it in my E38. In fact, I rarely even use the one in my F01, I find my phone has faster nav guidance, voice input, etc.

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
    It's funny, I have this system in my F01 and I'm not sure it's worth going through the trouble to retrofit it in my E38. In fact, I rarely even use the one in my F01, I find my phone has faster nav guidance, voice input, etc.
    I was thinking the same thing... I have the same system in my F02 as well and I feel that for some reason, you're not really missing out on anything. It's basically a fancy looking radio and lackluster guidance

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Quote Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing... I have the same system in my F02 as well and I feel that for some reason, you're not really missing out on anything. It's basically a fancy looking radio and lackluster guidance
    +1

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Personally, I am tired of using my phone for nav. I don't like having to hold it to check where I am going and the phone cradles look like crap. Mine seems to like to re-route me when I stop at the lights some times, which does not happen with the nav in my E60. Maybe just a phone issue being in LA? I do like the updated look of the newer system and if the Idrive is integrated into the console well, it can look like it belonged there.

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipdrive2006 View Post
    Personally, I am tired of using my phone for nav. I don't like having to hold it to check where I am going and the phone cradles look like crap. Mine seems to like to re-route me when I stop at the lights some times, which does not happen with the nav in my E60. Maybe just a phone issue being in LA? I do like the updated look of the newer system and if the Idrive is integrated into the console well, it can look like it belonged there.

I feel same the way. But I want to do this retro more for the Bluetooth, hard drive and music capabilities. To get the stock e38 system to do what I want will cost me more then this retro and it still will have multiple limitations.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    Quote Originally Posted by 740il97g View Post
    I feel same the way. But I want to do this retro more for the Bluetooth, hard drive and music capabilities. To get the stock e38 system to do what I want will cost me more then this retro and it still will have multiple limitations.
    What's going to be the approx. cost for ALL the parts required?

MODS:

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    My guess is 1200 to 1500 in hardware may be a little more. And you are going to have to either fab or have fabed (more dollars) various brackets or covers. But, a project like this is similar to wheels. I personally would not put on 20" wheels on my cars, they weigh too much and the tire cost is much more than same OD and tread width in an 18" tire or way more than a 16" most of these cars came with. There is no performance difference in the lateral direction with the 20s over the 18s like there is with the 16 vs 18 due to the shrinkage of the side walls (OD and treadwidth the same). Tires material and construction dominates that variable. But in acceleration and deceleration, the wheel / tire combo with the least moment of inertia will win and that is going to be towards the smallest / lightest rim in general.

so, some people will spend a few grand on wheels and tires. Some may spend a few grand on some other part or sub-system. All just personal taste.

Mr. Doom, any news on the Mini Idrive being smaller than the others?

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipdrive2006 View Post
    Dedicated nav like a garmin unit crushes phone nav. So many times people with iphones at my job were unable to go directly to certain addresses that my Garmin nailed every time.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Why are people hung up on Nav being the main reason for this? Yeah, the nav is nice, but the main reasons are for connectivity, retaining the OBC, and modernizing the Infotainment system in our cars. Of course, any nav with updated traffic information and alternate routes is better than the MkIV or previous. That means that most of us have been relying on our phones due to the internet connectivity. The NBT uses radio waves to transmit traffic information or possibly using internet connectivity in the newer ones with BMW Assist. On top of that, NBT has voice controls for inputing destinations and controlling the system. A garmin doesn't add a proper Ipod connection or USB audio, quality bluetooth connectivity, Sirius, DVD, etc. Yes, Garmin may do a good job at nav, but that's about it, and not all do traffic-suggested alternate routes, which is the main reason for using my phone. Also, I'm pretty sure with BMW Connected Drive that you can send destinations from your phone to the NBT, so that you don't have to use the idrive controller to input it. That's even easier than the Garmin. I like the wheel reference, some people spend $4-5k on wheels and tires, others put it into their infotainment. To each their own, but I for one want this system bad. It just would have been nice if I didn't already spend over $2k in wheels and tires

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E38
    Legitimate question: do people actually have issues with their e38's navigation? I constantly use and trust mine to get me around and it hasn't failed me yet. As a matter of fact, it's the best navigation system I've dealt with, including my phone. I don't understand everyone's difficulty! She takes me the best way, reroutes nicely, is accurate, and is integrated to the car to make it much easier to follow.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Legitimate question: do people actually have issues with their e38's navigation? I constantly use and trust mine to get me around and it hasn't failed me yet. As a matter of fact, it's the best navigation system I've dealt with, including my phone. I don't understand everyone's difficulty! She takes me the best way, reroutes nicely, is accurate, and is integrated to the car to make it much easier to follow.
    My problem is searching for destinations. I have to do it on my phone first, then get the address to then input into the e38 nav. Just a bunch of steps. Then, if there is bad traffic, it doesn't tell me that and I have to guess at an alternate route or use my phone to look one up, and by then I should have just used my phone in the first place. Also, I'm still trying to figure out why my nav doesn't have any voice output. That's a different story though.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Also, another problem with the phone is that it only works where you have good Internet access. I actually have Igo Primo for offline nav and it does have traffic, but it's still not the greatest.

-Paul

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Zipdrive I order the Mini Cooper idrive controller cover piece to test fit. Won't know untill about 2 weeks tho, its coming from Germany. I plan to fit the bmw controller in the center armrest.
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    Not everyone's e38 came with the latest navigation software and hardware.

Newer Mk go for around 500 dollars. Then in my case. I would want the 16.9 inch screen another 3 to 400 dollars. To add bluetooth would be around another 200 dollars. Mp3 capability with dice. Another 200 dollars.

So let's say 1300 total. Bimmernav sells the whole system with harness for around 2000 dollars.

Then you have the nbt option. Integrates everything. For around 1700. I've seen the nbt with screen and idrive controller go for 500 dollars. The functionality alone with its ability to keep all factory options working. Out value the original system. The biggest hurtle is coming up with a bazel that keeps a clean factory look and then deciding on the Idrive controller location.
    Last edited by 740il97g; 03-18-2015 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    1999 E38, 2001 E430t
    Hello! I´m new hear, and joined just because of this mod I was in contact with adrian, and I will be starting this mod on my e38 next month I have seen the new 2014 NBT in a friends m550d and it is way better then my MK4 with 2014 High maps. If I can get all the other goodies working too - Aux Heat, BC and such, that is reason enough for me to shell out the cash, to transfer my E38 into the Media Future. My Stance on this is like zipdrives - I love my 16" wheels, because they drive sooo much better on long distances, the mpgs are higher, and the tires are cheaper. Win Win all around. I did spend 9000€ on overhauling the engine/drivetrain at 510 000 km, and have also spent tons of money on alpine audio equipment in the car. This mod is right up there, and I´d just love to get going.

Are you guys all going 10" route, or 8.8? Adrian wrote me that 8.8 is easier to fit?

For the controller location. I wil be ripping out my telefon, and will go for a sled based design. I will try to add the controller to a small protrudence infront of the sled / incorperated into the sled, so if you dangle your hand in the natural position, you can grab the controller. Not quite sure if feasible, but worth a try. Maybe something for a friends 3d printer

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    MJ suspended?

We need to keep this thread alive until he gets back!
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    MJ suspended?

Suspended? For what?

-Paul

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Suspended? For what?
    I have no idea. There's a couple of people on suspension that I'd like to know why, but I'm afraid to ask.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    For one, it's awkward/cumbersome to navigate compared to modern touchscreen systems or those that can take voice commands. This is especially useful when you're on the go. If there is an easier way to input destinations and manipulate the features then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    MJ suspended?

+1. I was shocked when I saw that too.
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    2010 750li & 2008 X5 4.8
    Wow MJ suspended. That's my Chi-Town buddy. Seems nice so it's hard to figure how what he could have done to get suspended.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast