Thread: Some pics/vid of the new ST Suspension XTA Kit from ECS Tuning on my M3

My Cars
    1991 318is

Some pics/vid of the new ST Suspension XTA Kit from ECS Tuning on my M3

So a couple months ago after getting rid of the M5, Miata and finding my M3, I decided I was going to replace the Bilstein/H&R springs with a coilover kit. On my previous cars, I had Ground Control, BC, H&R, FK and the original ST Suspension. This time around, I was considering just going with another set of Ground Controls, but because the car may only get limited high performance driving use and will mainly be commuter car, I figured I would see what the other options were. I wanted a couple things:

- Decent Quality (not china)
    - Under 1500 Bucks
    - Dampening Adjustment
    - Camber Plates
    - Good ride quality at a slightly lowered height

With this in mind, I made some calls to ECS and after some back and forth with them, I settled on the new XTA kit and had it in the mail.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-...ers/ES2800200/

These are currently $1427 with a $75 gift card promo. I would recommend buying spacers with your gift card if you have OEM wheels.

They are height and dampening adjustable, feature galvanized bodies, include camber plates and new swap bar endlinks. They also have a 5 year warranty from KW/ST.

Some pics out of the box:

Getting ready for the install:

Install in progress:

After the install, I noticed that the OEM wheels would NOT fit without spacers. Bummer!

Called up ECS, and they overnighted me a set of 10mm Spacers for the front with extended lugs.

Rears going on:

Picture of a properly installed AKG RSM. Note the use of the OEM washers and hardware. I was pretty disappointed that AKG did not include ANY instructions with these as it would be easy to assume that you would not need the OEM hardware.

After letting them settle for a week and some short trips to and from work, I got it aligned and took some pics. The camber plates work great and provided the shop with enough adjustment to dial out the negative camber induced by lowering the car.

So yeah, after everything I am very happy with my purchase. Here are my early (3 weeks in) impressions:

- These coilovers are stiff even on full soft. If you expect to have a stock like ride even raised up, it's not going to happen. I love them that way. On full soft, they are at the perfect setting to be able to daily drive the car and commute without it being overly harsh, but at the same time you feel the difference.

- These are designed to go low. I have them spun up about 2/3 to the top (20 threads). This compresses the helper spring and may contribute to a stiffer ride. Since I plan to run more aggressive wheels in the future, and be lower, this should work out perfectly.

- I feel like this kit is the perfect medium between many of the cheap non adjustable coilover kits on the market without camber plates and full race/track setups. One thing I have noted in the past is that GC and other kits use spherical bearings in their mounts and camber plates which can lead to a lot of noise when turning the wheel and driving a low speeds. This is all great, but for your average user who is not building a full track car, it can be a nuisance.

- The price is very reasonable on this kit at ~1400 bucks for what you get considering that KW V2s are another 400 and DO NOT include camber plates. Now that said, KW V2s have the stainless steel bodies which I would consider if I lived in a harsher climate than South Florida...

Last, I want to thank Nathan at ECS for helping me pick these out and for his great support when I needed spacers. As a matter of fact, when I called about whether or not I would need spacers, he personally called ST Suspension and found someone who owned this kit. I really can't stress enough that if you are in the market for suspension (or anything for that matter) for your car that you call them or check out their site. They are one of the few parts retailers that "get it." They treat there customers great, have reasonable prices and have an awesome website that makes it easy to shop. I have been ordering from them for the last 8 years and have never had an issue that wasn't solved on the first email or phone call even if it was my fault.
    Last edited by Grant318is; 01-12-2015 at 10:29 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    Very nice. High quality parts = high quality car.

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    I like how these are basically KW V2's at a great low budget price.

My Cars
    98 M3
    So whats your opinion on the stiffness? I'm looking at upgrading from my FK coils, and was considering these. I need some dampening adjustment and camber plates in my life.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    1971 2002
    I'm sure that AKG kind of expects you to know how to turn a wrench. Its like including instructions with how to heat and eat your ramen.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    So whats your opinion on the stiffness? I'm looking at upgrading from my FK coils, and was considering these. I need some dampening adjustment and camber plates in my life.
    Updated the post with ride quality/impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFree View Post
    I'm sure that AKG kind of expects you to know how to turn a wrench. Its like including instructions with how to heat and eat your ramen.
    That's not really an excuse. Obviously I know how to work on my car. Anyone could assume that when you buy their shock mounts that everything is included. Instead, it is a guessing game as to which factory parts to keep and which to throw away.

My Cars
    BMW
    Looking good! Glad you're loving your new XTAs!

-James

My Cars
    BMW's
    great write up and review, we are glad to see KW/ST start catering to different markets, looks like the nailed it with this setup.

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey so the question I have is the ride bouncy? you are not too low so that may be a factor but I has Status Gruppe coils on my 99' M3 and it was stiff yes there is performance but the ride can be bouncy if your are not on a glass flat road. I however was pretty low.

A friend of mine with a similar coil also has a bouncy ride (sorry I forgot the name will edit later)

My Status Gruppe, friends, and original St's however were in the $1k category, wondering if these more expensive (assuming more quality) coils have eliminated the bounce?
    Current
    1995 Boston Green M3 on Champaign
    Bilstein struts
    AFE intake
    Drilled rotors
    18" AC Schnitzer Type II

Past
    95 M3 Cosmos on black (Raquel)
    99 M3 Hellrot on Sand/Beige (Shannon)
    90 Shwarz 535i
    99 528i
    07 Dodge Ram (Karen)
    01 Audi A4 1.8t (Monica)

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by poncho1015 View Post
    Hey so the question I have is the ride bouncy? you are not too low so that may be a factor but I has Status Gruppe coils on my 99' M3 and it was stiff yes there is performance but the ride can be bouncy if your are not on a glass flat road. I however was pretty low.

A friend of mine with a similar coil also has a bouncy ride (sorry I forgot the name will edit later)

My Status Gruppe, friends, and original St's however were in the $1k category, wondering if these more expensive (assuming more quality) coils have eliminated the bounce?
    These have zero bounce. They are very flat in the corners even with some bumps. KW does a great job matching the dampers to the spring rates.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I now it's an older thread, but would love to actually see the pics if you're able to update the Photo Bucket account.

GREAT thread, thanks for the info!!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe