Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention 2003 540iT MSport Owners.... Trying to start a Registry!

My Cars
    03 540iT M-Sport Wagon

Craigslist ads

Here are PDF files of the three E39s mentioned in post #22. I'm adding them here so they are still part of the thread after the ads are gone.

Regards,
    2014 i3 BEV, 2016 X5 xDrive40e
    Myrtle Beach SC

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by 707BimmerBum View Post
    Smart running square. Prolly is just a stem. Americas woulda had me in and out within 30 minutes. For free! I love doing business with them.

My 540iT is gonna be on square Style 65s. Lots of grip all the way around. I'll tag you in about 10 seconds on IG.

2003 was the only year you could get an e39 sedan or touring with the MSport package that included the Mtech Aero Package just like your M5. Of course there were other features such as Black Shadowline Trim and Black Headliners(no matter what the interior color)that were 2003 only. 2001 facelift and 2002 MSport Package equipped cars had the same Msport interior trim upgrades available: Steering Wheel and Sill Badges. Suspension was identical to the Sport. Wheels were an option that most dealers had: Style 32's or Style 37s. But in 2003: 1,300 or so 540i Msport Package equipped cars made it hear to North America. 184 of those cars were Tourings. The last hoorah for the e39 Mtech that looked like your car. Minus the Style 65s of course. The tourings were stuck with Style 66 wheels because BMW figured it would ruin the ride putting 18" wheels on the car that people don't care what the wheels look like in the first place. That type of customer usually buy the tourings for comfort. So Style 66 17's??? Ugh. Not me.

The 2003 540iT Msport was the closet thing you could get to buying the e39 M5 Touring... The car they only made one of from factory.

Idea of rarity: 10k or so e39 M5's B Versus 184 imported 2003 540iT MSports.(331 cars worldwide)

e36 M3 Lightweight and e46 M3 CSL only modern BMW's with this low of production numbers.

Got an idea of why there needs to be a Registration?! Haha.

My car that I'm rebuilding and repairing: Alpine White with Beige Interior is 1 of 11 cars imported. 15 cars in total for Alpine White. Only 7 color options. Two Blacks, Titanium, Sterling Silver, Alpine, Slate Green and Topaz Blue. Between the blue and green cars: only 12 ever imported. Most rare color being topaz Blue: Only 4 cars imported.
    Thanks for the information!

Have you seen this thread before? http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...thread-48.html

It's very long, but I assure you it's a good read!

Funny thing is I have an Oxford Green M5 registry over on M5board too since mine is 1 of 21: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post5646105
    Last edited by jdauria; 03-01-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Norman (NLu), I just noticed you snag the M-Sport I was looking at last year! http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=766924

Previous owner lived right near me
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD

My Cars
    318i, 540iT, Z3M
    Hey Jon!
    Actually George was 2 owners ago.
    He sold to a guy across the river, and I picked it up last fall. Made a nice little road trip with the family driving back to Michigan.

Very clean and well kept, not a spot of rust.... Which I'm appreciating as I'm replacing the suspension

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    wait, why isnt this stickied?

also, its only a true "msport" touring if you put the vin number into a build-sheet checker like bmwvin.com or bmwarchive.org, on the build sheet you'll be looking for "M aerodynamics package" and "anthracite headliner" options. they didnt come with any kind of special suspension from the factory aside from the usually sport touring suspension ( the shorter sport SLS airbags and sport struts )

also, i found one at a dealer, and the previous owner did maintain it (called the shop that serviced it, as found on the carfax), but he put several things off

-CV joint on driveshaft
    -rear ball joints, probably endlinks too
    -front trust and control arms
    -"top engine reseal" (valve cover gaskets, left and right upper timing cover gaskets)
    -starter
    -ambient temp sensor and wiring
    -oxygen sensor
    -might be still on mostly stock cooling system, since there are no service records between 50k and 110k miles, and the shop only did the expansion tank
    -certainly on stock timing chains and vanos

is the msport worth all this hassle? or are most of these pretty easy weekend jobs that i'm blowing out of proportion
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    So how many cars on this registry now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    wait, why isnt this stickied?

also, its only a true "msport" touring if you put the vin number into a build-sheet checker like bmwvin.com or bmwarchive.org, on the build sheet you'll be looking for "M aerodynamics package" and "anthracite headliner" options. they didnt come with any kind of special suspension from the factory aside from the usually sport touring suspension ( the shorter sport SLS airbags and sport struts )

also, i found one at a dealer, and the previous owner did maintain it (called the shop that serviced it, as found on the carfax), but he put several things off

-CV joint on driveshaft
    -rear ball joints, probably endlinks too
    -front trust and control arms
    -"top engine reseal" (valve cover gaskets, left and right upper timing cover gaskets)
    -starter
    -ambient temp sensor and wiring
    -oxygen sensor
    -might be still on mostly stock cooling system, since there are no service records between 50k and 110k miles, and the shop only did the expansion tank
    -certainly on stock timing chains and vanos

is the msport worth all this hassle? or are most of these pretty easy weekend jobs that i'm blowing out of proportion
    Joe, if the car is in otherwise good condition, these jobs aren't terrible. I just got done doing most of them on my 84K mile touring. They take time, but in the end you have a car that feels "like new." Might as well throw in an M5 steering box and wire up servotronic if you do these, so you can get the better steering ratio and feel. Surprised the CV joint is already bad - you can probably find a used one to throw in. The upper engine stuff isn't bad, and the suspension isn't that big of a deal either if you have the right tools.
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    01 540i6, 03 X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    So how many cars on this registry now?

- - - Updated - - -

Joe, if the car is in otherwise good condition, these jobs aren't terrible. I just got done doing most of them on my 84K mile touring. They take time, but in the end you have a car that feels "like new." Might as well throw in an M5 steering box and wire up servotronic if you do these, so you can get the better steering ratio and feel. Surprised the CV joint is already bad - you can probably find a used one to throw in. The upper engine stuff isn't bad, and the suspension isn't that big of a deal either if you have the right tools.
    Most likely even a non M-Sport will need those also, unless you find one that has been enthusiast maintained. Might as well have something nicer when it's done.
    2001 BMW 540i6 Anthracite/Sand

1997 BMW 328i - Sold

My Cars
    -
    I love seeing these sweet Touring posts above! I love these cars and the people that drive them. Keep up the work on these amazing machines.

On another Note: GN92493(white/beige) just resurfaced in Washington DC at another dealership. Thank the lord it's one of the best dealerships in the country. Passport BMW. Refreshing to see another BMW dealership run by Enthusiasts! And it's NOT For Sale! Their Shop Foreman has bought it and is now in Love!! More details to come. Go follow them on Instagram to see GN92493!!

I did update the running registry!! 16 confirmed cars ... With a few others pending sale!

Still a Silver/Black 6speed swap For Sale here in California!!
    Any details on the 6 speed for sale? I realize I'm a bit late to the party... If it's still available, I'm interested!

Thanks,
    Chris

My Cars
    '99 528iTA Sport
    With all of the things being brought up as far as suspension, it's really making me feel that my car's in horrible shape. I've had it since 99,000 miles, now it's at 140,000, and I don't think any suspension work had been done before I bought it, and I know for sure I haven't done any. I know it needs struts and a rack, but I'm sure it all needs to be rebuilt just because of wear. The suspension feels way too soft for what the car is.

On the other hand, how's the registry coming along?
    1999 528iT Sport- 2/1999 Alpine White/Sandbeige
    2003 X5 3.0i Stahlgrau/Gray
    2001 330Ci Topazblau/Black
    1984 318i Balticblau/Black
    1995 525i Hellrot/Beige (brother's)
    2007 335i/6 Titansilber/Black (brother's)
    2004 X3 2.5i Titansilber/Gray M54B30 swapped (dad's) (Sold)
    2006 330i Alpine White/Black (Sold)
    ...and some Volvos and other stuff

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdubya1198 View Post
    With all of the things being brought up as far as suspension, it's really making me feel that my car's in horrible shape. I've had it since 99,000 miles, now it's at 140,000, and I don't think any suspension work had been done before I bought it, and I know for sure I haven't done any. I know it needs struts and a rack, but I'm sure it all needs to be rebuilt just because of wear. The suspension feels way too soft for what the car is.

On the other hand, how's the registry coming along?
    if you do any suspension work, two things;
    replace any bushing you take out with a polyurethane bushing (look up the powerflex "black" series), they're FAR more durable and way tighter, and if you properly apply gobs of copper anti-sieze on installation, no need to worry about squeaking. the OEM bushings are comfy but they basically fall to pieces within 40k miles.

you could probably swing it by an indie mechanic and he could give you a list of what needs replacing by taking a look and a drive
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

My Cars
    03 540IT 6-Speed, 17 M2
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrossman View Post
    Any details on the 6 speed for sale? I realize I'm a bit late to the party... If it's still available, I'm interested!

Thanks,
    Chris
    Yes still available PM for more details, picts are around somewhere just search my posts

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by JAX S38 View Post
    Yes still available PM for more details, picts are around somewhere just search my posts
    you could just
    you know
    make a listing....

GN92489

My Cars
    '99 528iTA Sport
    if you do any suspension work, two things;
    replace any bushing you take out with a polyurethane bushing (look up the powerflex "black" series), they're FAR more durable and way tighter, and if you properly apply gobs of copper anti-sieze on installation, no need to worry about squeaking. the OEM bushings are comfy but they basically fall to pieces within 40k miles.

you could probably swing it by an indie mechanic and he could give you a list of what needs replacing by taking a look and a drive
    Good to know, thanks for that!
    1999 528iT Sport- 2/1999 Alpine White/Sandbeige
    2003 X5 3.0i Stahlgrau/Gray
    2001 330Ci Topazblau/Black
    1984 318i Balticblau/Black
    1995 525i Hellrot/Beige (brother's)
    2007 335i/6 Titansilber/Black (brother's)
    2004 X3 2.5i Titansilber/Gray M54B30 swapped (dad's) (Sold)
    2006 330i Alpine White/Black (Sold)
    ...and some Volvos and other stuff

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdubya1198 View Post
    Good to know, thanks for that!
    to sweeten the pot, as it were, i don't believe there has ever been a documented case of a powerflex bushing (or any polyurethane bushing) becoming fatigued enough to replace. and powerflex has been around for like a decade at this point, and they make bushings for EVERYTHING.
    it's pretty safe to say they're indestructible and immortal. the fact they tighten the handling noticeably is just a bonus

GN92489

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    My wife (buffywillstakeu) and I have GN92492 on your list -- silver/black from VA. Currently 45,000 mi and looking great. Only mod is M5 mirrors. Will love to hear about the registry site when it's up and running. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell944 View Post
    My wife (buffywillstakeu) and I have GN92492 on your list -- silver/black from VA. Currently 45,000 mi and looking great. Only mod is M5 mirrors. Will love to hear about the registry site when it's up and running. Thanks!
    Where in VA are you?
    Totaled
    2009///M3

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by tinius View Post
    Here are PDF files of the three E39s mentioned in post #22. I'm adding them here so they are still part of the thread after the ads are gone.

Regards,
    err, the only one on that list thats an msport is the middle one from grand rapids (which sold right before i saw it on autotrader, sadly)
    if its not 2003, it cant be an msport
    and even then, its only an msport if you put the vin number into bmwvin.com and you see "M aerodynamics package" and "anthracite headliner" on the options list

GN92489

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Last edited by MrFlam; 04-20-2015 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlam View Post
    wait is that the 11 grand silver one in california?

GN92489

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    No it's a different one. I did see the one in California for close to 11K. The one i was talking about is less than 10,000.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    No it's a different one. I did see the one in California for close to 11K. The one i was talking about is less than 10,000.
    err, is it the silver/black one up on toronto? for 9,900?
    cuz these are the ones ive seen so far while looking at 540i tourings.
    WBADR63443GN92441, silver on black, in toronto

WBADR63423GN92650, silver on grey in san luis obispo CA

the black on black one in grand rapids sold a while ago but apparently the listing is bugged so the owner cant take it down

GN92489

My Cars
    '03 540iT M Sport
    That Silver one for sale in San Luis Obispo (where I live) was owned by an older guy. I don't know him, but used to see him driving it around. It's funny because this town is kinda small and at one point, there were 3 M Sport wagons in town. My white wagon, this silver wagon, and a sterling grey wagon.

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Try this link:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...98275142&Log=0

Looks like it needs a little TLC: Front bumper has a nice scuff on the lower passenger side, needs a new steering wheel, seats need some conditioning, headlight restoration, etc. Definitely not the most desirably color combination, but nevertheless it's an M-Sport!
    Last edited by jdauria; 04-22-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    Totaled
    2009///M3

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E53
    Damn! With all those eyes out there, this registry will be up and running in no-time. I'm waiting for another 5-6 owner submitted Tourings and I'll get the website up and running. Ive got some really cool plans.

For now I have just updated the running Registry. 21 cars total! But a few of those are still out there to be found again. I look at the bright side with those cars. At least we know they are still on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

err, is it the silver/black one up on toronto? for 9,900?
    cuz these are the ones ive seen so far while looking at 540i tourings.
    WBADR63443GN92441, silver on black, in toronto

WBADR63423GN92650, silver on grey in san luis obispo CA

the black on black one in grand rapids sold a while ago but apparently the listing is bugged so the owner cant take it down
    Joekitch,

I want to officially welcome you to the registry! I'm sure I will be inputting your information into the registry here shortly. I'd highly recommend looking at the JAX's 6spd swap. It worth it. Even though I hate to see that car leave California. And this Silver/Gray would be a clean car as well! We are just spoiled out here with rust free/garage kept cars. But take advantage of that. Rust can be a pain. Especially on these Tourings! We will find you a clean one. They're out there!
    2001 330ci Sport 5MT, 2003 540iT MSport - M5 Project, 2003 540iT Msport 6MT Instagram: NorcalBrandon

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    I'd highly recommend looking at the JAX's 6spd swap. It worth it. Even though I hate to see that car leave California. And this Silver/Gray would be a clean car as well! We are just spoiled out here with rust free/garage kept cars. But take advantage of that. Rust can be a pain. Especially on these Tourings! We will find you a clean one. They're out there!
    wait what? does this jax fellow have a listing somewhere..?

GN92489

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast