Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Attention 2003 540iT MSport Owners.... Trying to start a Registry!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    It’s a little more than that Danny, the true M Sport 540’s, true, a ton of it is the black upper interior bits, but a true M Sport also comes with the M tech ll suspension, regular sports are M tech l, spring rates, valving in the struts are stiffer for M tech ll. Torsion bars are same as on the M5. My 01 540 is a true M Sport, it came from Canada. Side by side with my brothers regular ‘01 540 Sport, huge difference in ride stiffness, both cars are completely as they came from the factory. If going custom aftermarket on the suspension, then it really doesn’t matter. The ride in my 540 resembles my buddy’s M5 to tell you the truth. I’m thinking the springs and valving on the shocks are identical, but maybe I’m wrong, have not bothered to checked part numbers.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 02-14-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Jeezuz, just noticed all the mistakes posted from my stupid phone
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    It’s a little more than that Danny, the true M Sport 540’s, true, a ton of it is the black upper interior bits, but a true M Sport also comes with the M tech ll suspension, regular sports are M tech l, spring rates, halving in the struts are stiffer for M tech ll. Torsion bars are same as on the M5. My 01 540 is a true M Sport, it came from Canada. Side by side with my brothers regular ‘01 540 Sport, huge difference in ride stiffness, both cars are completely as they came from the factory. If going custom aftermarket on the suspension, then it really doesn’t mater. The ride in my 540 resembles my buddy’s M5 to tell you the truth. I’m thinking the springs and calving on the shocks are identical, but maybe I’m wrong, have not bothered to checked part numbers.
    I guess if you're trying to keep everything original then it might make more sense, but given the average age and mileage of most M-Sports, the suspensions are due for replacing anyways.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E89, E39, E38
    I swear there was a silver 2003 540i Touring M-Sport for sale in Texas for $19k or so on Craigslist and CarGurus, but I can't find the listing. Must've sold. Is that car in your registry?
    10/12 E89 Z4 sDrive35i: Alpine White/Coral Red, 6MT, ZMP
    12/01 E39 M5: TiAg/full black leather, Supersprint mufflers + x-pipe, SSK
    04/95 E38 750iL: Jet Black/black, M Parallels, Shadowline, x-pipe and muffler delete

My Cars
    04' 330xi

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by member george View Post
    Good god that is way too much money. 105k miles isn't low enough to get that low mileage price bonus, and it's obviously got some issues with it like a tear in the driver's seat, a DSC error, and missing pixels on the MID (just from a cursory glance). For $19k it better be pristine with sub-100k miles.

My Cars
    04' 330xi
    eh, keep the prices going up, i don't mind

My Cars
    E89, E39, E38
    yup, that's the one
    10/12 E89 Z4 sDrive35i: Alpine White/Coral Red, 6MT, ZMP
    12/01 E39 M5: TiAg/full black leather, Supersprint mufflers + x-pipe, SSK
    04/95 E38 750iL: Jet Black/black, M Parallels, Shadowline, x-pipe and muffler delete

My Cars
    2008 BMW M3
    Recently listed on CL Los Angeles...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...514240959.html

Good price bad price? I think it's a little low...

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Parking View Post
    Recently listed on CL Los Angeles...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...514240959.html

Good price bad price? I think it's a little low...
    I pity the fool that pays that price... those seats look super dry and the passenger seat is starting to come apart, plus it's right at that mileage where everything starts to fail on a 540it— cooling system, suspension, subframe bushings, air struts, and eventually the chain guides. Honestly it's better to buy a 540it with higher miles that's had all that stuff already addressed.

My Cars
    04' 330xi
    lots of M tech haters on here

My Cars
    2008 BMW M3
    Agreed...Being as there are so few 2003 M Sport 540it's, I wouldn't be afraid to dive in and restore the car over time. I'd rather have a lower mileage car and own something different. I missed out on a super low mileage (63,000 miles) '03 540it M Sport in January in the Bay Area. I don't think the seller knew what he had, but the new owner certainly did. It needed a few things, but don't most used vehicles? Really nice condition, it was on SF CL for three days, then gone.
    Last edited by Free Parking; 03-01-2018 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    lots of M tech haters on here
    I don't hate on it necessarily, just the ridiculous markup on it. There's nothing inherently special about it aside from it being a limited production variant. But the only people who care about that are people who own them— it's not like some Barrett Jackson gem. You can easily build an 01-02 540it to be way nicer than any M-Sport for a lot less money.

I've got an M5 bumper on my 2000 540it, and I have a full black interior from an 01 540it ready to go in. That combined with a manual swap and a custom alcantara headliner will make my 204k mile 540it nicer than any 20k mile M-Sport Touring, guaranteed.

My Cars
    04' 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I've got an M5 bumper on my 2000 540it, and I have a full black interior from an 01 540it ready to go in. That combined with a manual swap and a custom alcantara headliner will make my 204k mile 540it nicer than any 20k mile M-Sport Touring, guaranteed.
    thanks for my daily forum laugh

My Cars
    e39
    There is something unique about having a low production vehicle from the factory and this is mainly enjoyed by purist-enthusiasts and especially automobile collectors but in the case of the M Sport E39 T it is really easy to replicate since it is just bolt-on parts and not that many of them at that. Once the parts are swapped the vehicles are LITERALLY identical minus the VIN but that is just a badge, just like the badge on the trunk. Which to me means nothing, I debadge all my cars, it doesn't mean anything to me (and I like the cleaner look), I don't feel the urge to tell people what I drive, it might be a clean base E39, it might be an M5, it might have 550whp and blow the doors off your GTR.

For me it's about the experience the vehicle gives you; the sounds, sensations, emotions, and (ideally) downright enjoyment.

That being said if people are not handy wrenching on their cars then swapping components may not be a feasible option for them so these factory built vehicles are very appealing and knowing the quantity and quality available is helpful. To be honest it is helpful for me too since it helps establish and cultivate value with how unique they are, which helps all E39 T owners.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Bold statement but I get where you are coming from. on my E61 it had 120,000 miles but the suspension only has 40k, most of the interior was replaced with lower mileage items, engine and turbos were <30,000 miles, trans and drivetrain had 60k, new headlights, low mileage M5 brakes, F/R bumpers and F fenders were all replaced etc. etc. The only major element of the car which still has 120,000 on it is the chassis and main body and given there is zero rust the mileage on those items is almost irrelevant, the wear items are all 1/2 that mileage if not less.

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Some people like originals, some people like copies...only cars that come close to original(s) pricing are cars that are in above immaculate condition, in all aspects of the build has to be quality across all boards. Look at all auctions any make of vehicle, only ones selling above or close to the original(s) prices the builds are incredibly well done, and no expense spared. You can have a 1000 copies but only one, or very few original(s)...and the more the original is changed, makes the remaining few more rare...Ive never seen a car that is one of few not bring a premium over its counter part a clone, unless it is one of the immaculate builds in quality...either preferring an original or a copy, both fit depending on what the buyer likes...no right or wrong just different choices...and that car is an easy $11K+ all day long...
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 03-07-2018 at 05:06 AM.

My Cars
    04' 330xi
    My wagon has 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rears... Someone just told me the tourings came 17x8 all around? Anyone have any insight? Thanks

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    My wagon has 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rears... Someone just told me the tourings came 17x8 all around? Anyone have any insight? Thanks
    Yep, all tourings came with square wheels all around. The 2000-2002 540i tourings came with square style 32's, while the 2003 540i M-Sport tourings came with square style 66's. BMW claimed that the staggered approach didn't work as well on the tourings due to the SLS, which I kinda understand— when one of my air struts failed, the car became pretty much undrivable due to my 9.5" wheels in the back that rubbed really bad with the rear end fully lowered. Whereas if I had 8" wheels in the back, the factory bump stops would have kept it somewhat drivable.

So if you see any touring with staggered wheels, it's definitely not the original setup.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Screw the airbags, glad mine didn’t come with them.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I finally got mine replaced (airbag) at the dealership my car first got purchased by a private party. Took the opportunity to close that loop in the car's history.
    Speaking of values: ya suppose I hurt my auction block number by throwing a 4.6 in mine? Never selling it but RVAE34's LS touring was clearly the exception.

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E53
    Updated the Registry with SCRSUVS, CHUCKANUT, QTHEGENIUS, KATEANDERNIE. HEY808 was already on the registry. Congrats on the new Touring acquistions!

Sorry guys, I have been a little behind updating the Registry while I was moving with Dinan from California to Alabama. Yes .... Dinan is now located in Alabama!

Ive also added a 6 speed swapped Topaz Blue/Beige car, GN92639 that Steve Snow has in PA. Hopefully I can work it out with him to purchase my second 540iT Msport. My Alpine car GN92398 is currently awaiting its new sheet metal(firewall, shocktowers, wheel tubs, and frame rails) and will be on the frame jig shortly. Once that is done I will be sourcing an E39 M5 parts car and doing the swap like CHUCKANUTS and a few other guys have done.

I am trying to be more active on the forums and mainly on this thread. Lots of cars out there that have yet to be registered!

Anyone else 6 spd or S62 swapping their Msport Touring?
    2001 330ci Sport 5MT, 2003 540iT MSport - M5 Project, 2003 540iT Msport 6MT Instagram: NorcalBrandon

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    I can tell you that GN92478 (Sterling/Black) is still in Los Angeles, still happily trucking along with its 6-speed swap. This is the car I sold a few years back, but I just recently heard from the current owner.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by 707BimmerBum View Post
    Updated the Registry with SCRSUVS, CHUCKANUT, QTHEGENIUS, KATEANDERNIE. HEY808 was already on the registry. Congrats on the new Touring acquistions!

Sorry guys, I have been a little behind updating the Registry while I was moving with Dinan from California to Alabama. Yes .... Dinan is now located in Alabama!

Ive also added a 6 speed swapped Topaz Blue/Beige car, GN92639 that Steve Snow has in PA. Hopefully I can work it out with him to purchase my second 540iT Msport. My Alpine car GN92398 is currently awaiting its new sheet metal(firewall, shocktowers, wheel tubs, and frame rails) and will be on the frame jig shortly. Once that is done I will be sourcing an E39 M5 parts car and doing the swap like CHUCKANUTS and a few other guys have done.

I am trying to be more active on the forums and mainly on this thread. Lots of cars out there that have yet to be registered!

Anyone else 6 spd or S62 swapping their Msport Touring?
    Thanks for adding, thought maybe you fell in a deep well...curious what is the total # of cars found to date? California to Alabama? Talk about culture shock...

My Cars
    E36, E39, E46, E53
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I can tell you that GN92478 (Sterling/Black) is still in Los Angeles, still happily trucking along with its 6-speed swap. This is the car I sold a few years back, but I just recently heard from the current owner.
    So damn cool to hear! I am assuming the owner is not on the forums? Name and location? And again... thank you for compiling the data!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCRSUVS View Post
    Thanks for adding, thought maybe you fell in a deep well...curious what is the total # of cars found to date? California to Alabama? Talk about culture shock...
    You were correct! The well is really deep at DINAN! Not too much culture shock.... Im from Northern California and I grew up hunting and fishing. I really like it out here. Just not a ton of Bimmer guys to kick it with like in the bay area.

I am about 47-48 cars in my searches/travels. From time to time, check the bottom of the Registry Post for the latest update. Registered roughly 42 cars so far. I see these cars everywhere and sometimes I don't get time to talk to the owners. For example: Last summer, there was a slate green on gray car in Palo Alto, CA on the freeway. Im sure the lady was wondering why some guys in a white E34 M5 comes strolling up next to her taking pictures and giving her old wagon the thumbs up. I saw the Silver car that was for sale mentioned above at Golden Gate park in April last year, but I did not get to meet Rich, just his car. Used to pass KATEANDERNIE's 540iT everyday when I was commuting to Dinan everyday from Santa Rosa. Funny story, I tracked down her husband Ernie at the 4wheelsupply when I saw the car parked there, walked in the store and asked loudly "Hey, who has the 5 series wagon?" I will be heading up to PA to grab this Topaz car here soon, will stop by Passport and BS with the shop foreman there that has the twin to my Alpine car.

I love talking to everyone about these cars. Most have no idea there were less than 350 ever made. Therefore there are some good deals to be had out there and some not so good deals. Some of these cars have been driven like every other 5-series e39.... into the ground. But it really is always cool to meet other Touring and BMW enthusiasts that have these rare cars. We are a unique breed that is for sure.
    2001 330ci Sport 5MT, 2003 540iT MSport - M5 Project, 2003 540iT Msport 6MT Instagram: NorcalBrandon

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by 707BimmerBum View Post
    So damn cool to hear! I am assuming the owner is not on the forums? Name and location? And again... thank you for compiling the data!!
    It was my pleasure.

I'm not comfortable sharing the name of someone else on the internet. But he & the car live in Los Angeles, and he's a journalist for a major media outlet down there.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    2003 540iT
    Cool thread! I've got GN92555 silver/gray in Raleigh NC.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast