Thread: TPMS issue

My Cars
    01 M5, 08 135, 11 328ix

TPMS issue

The guy I bought my 135 from gave me the BMW winter tire package... I dont drive the 135 in the winter so I decided to slap the set on my 328i. I know the tires/rims have the tpms sensors but for whatever reason refuse to register with the 328 (after multiple resets). I get the flat tire symbol with INACTIVE on the display.

The winter tires haven't been used for 2-3 years - do tmps sensors go bad if not used for extended periods of time? Thanks

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    Do the valve stems look the same between your winter tires and summer tires?

I've never had the need for a second set of wheels/tires for winter driving, so this may be completely invalid, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the individual TPMS wheel sensors need to be registered to the vehicle, and there's a limit of how many that can be registered at one time.

I have no idea if that's true, or how you might go about doing the registration.

I do know that my 2009 Tacoma pickup manual states that as a necessary procedure, and states it's a "dealership" function, so I may be getting the 2 makes confused.

I'm curious to see the "fix" for your issue...

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    My 2006 325xi Sport Wagon does not use a tpms sensor mounted in the wheel. But the car still looks for a soft tire, by using the wheel speed sensors. A soft tire wants to rotate slower than one that is fully inflated, so the car senses it and notifies the driver. My valve stems therefore look different than a wheel that has a tpms sensor in the wheel. That is why I posed the question about his winter wheel valve stems and his summer wheel valve stems.

My Cars
    01 M5, 08 135, 11 328ix
    This has been helpful and gave me some new ideas for searching - i came across something that says the communication frequency for the BMW tpms changed in 2010. The winter package was on an 08 and my 328 is an 11...

I think it might be that the tmps sensors in the tires are out of date for my car... Argh - i can get the right sensor (oem) off eBay for about 100 bucks for 4, but I question my resolve to make the indicator light go away for this season.

I think I'd make a call to a dealership and ask a few questions before making any purchasing decisions...

My Cars
    01 M5, 08 135, 11 328ix
    I got a note from shoptpms that generally confirms my earlier findings... the protocol for communication changed between 08 and 11 - need to get modern tpms sensors!