Thread: e30 M50 swap HELP!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325e

e30 M50 swap HELP!!!!!!!

So I have done countless amounts of research on this swap and have learned a lot of stuff. I basically know what I need to do but I want somebody who has done this swap to clear me in about exactly everything I need to do and the best way to go about it. Also keep in mind that I will be boosting this engine, so also if you can help me with this as well. THANKS!!!

• I know I can use the stock tranny that is in the e30 but it will be turned 10 degrees or so to the right and I will need a custom bracket or can order one.
    • About the brake booster situation... I can either cut out of the firewall and move the stock booster 1/4in. Use a Porsche 944 brake booster and shorten the shaft.
    • I will need the stock ecu that goes with the M50. I can use my stock harness from the e30 and use the m50 harness but ordering the adapter.
    • I won't be able to run a stock m50 fan/clutch because it will hit the radiator. So a electric fan will be the best option?
    • I will need a custom exhaust and manifold but I will be getting all of that done myself. I will be using a top mounting manifold for turbo.

I know there is plenty of things I am forgetting. But at the moment this is all that I can think of in my head. Please don't bash... I have been a mechanic for 5 years now and have a two year degree, so I know what I am doing... and along with that I have been a BMW tech for 3 years now, but only on the new vehicles coming off of the assembly line at the US Plant in Spartanburg, SC. I have not messed around with any bmw older then 97. This is also not my only swap I have ever done, this will be my third swap I have done but will be my first BMW swap. So PLEASE inform me on any helpful info and even give me links if you have them. THANKS A LOT!!!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Research clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and slave cylinder combos. I'm using an E30 Trans in my E36 with E36 clutch and flywheel with E30 throw out and slave. I had to extend the rod on the salve cylinder as the throw out bearing would rattle unless you put a tiny bit of pressure on the clutch pedal. If you use all the M20 parts it may work fine. Good luck with the swap!

My Cars
    1991 318is
    I just got done doing my m50 turbo swap on my 318is. Just pm me for questions

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Well I have done several E30 M/S5x swaps and So far you have chosen all the budget or ghetto options not the best for a reliable daily.

Do NOT slot your firewall or use the stock booster, its pointless. You can either use a 325ix booster ( or e32 740i same thing) with a 325ix clevis and it will work great. Or an Audi A4 bbooster with a e34 master. Last thing you want is a failure in the brake system while your dippin in the swap car.
    Do NOT use a e21 booster, its not a real working solution no assist hardly at all....

As for wiring you can biuld your own harness and save on the AKG or Treehouse adapter, its really easy my first swap I used an adapter but after that its a lot cleaner not having all those X20 & C101's all crammed by the booster. You wil also want a red label ecu as it doesnt have the EWS security written to it.

Please don't use an E30 trans, the E36 trans is proper for the M50 family engines, all bolts go in not just the big 4, no starter drama, no clutch combo/TO/slave drama. It all works great and you get the big disc and press plate for most grip/surface area.

You will have to fab up custom exhaust, if you want headers or are intalling a turbo manifold do it now and check your clearance on the exhaust side to your subframe and LCAB.

As for the boost, if this is a non vanos engine I would buy a set of arp head studs and maid and rod bolts and start laying the boost on. NO MLS, 12-15lbs should be lots of fun.

Oh and invest in a 3.46LSD from an M roadster, you can thank me later.

- - - Updated - - -

First swap

After learning lol

My Cars
    1884 BMW 318i E30
    What Model Year was that 325ix booster off of??

My Cars
    1991 318is
    I moved my booster 1/2 to the left and shaved off the manifold fins. fits just right.