Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid spinning out

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i

How to avoid spinning out

So I have an auto m3 and I like to get the back end loose every once in awhile, usually only when there are no cars around and ithe road is a bit wet while turning left at a stop light. Usually I do it no problem, but yesterday I spun out twice. I have no idea why. I got close to hitting curbs twice but thankfully I didn't. Each time I went in perfectly but then instead of straightening out, it started spinning the opposite direction and made me do a 180. Tried again this morning and I didn't spin. My question is what did I do wrong yesterday and how can I avoid doing it again

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Lol really? Take a video if you want us to comment, otherwise we can't do anything.

Learn how to do it in a controlled environment, not on a street. Start by doing donuts and feeding in opposite lock to understand how to balance throttle and steering. Learn how to sit, how to hold the steering wheel, how to position your body...so many fundamentals that are crucial to car control.
    -Chris

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Also sounds like you did a tank slapper. That means you didn't unwind the wheel enough on exit and you probably.lifted abruptly causing the rear end to snap the other way. The fact that you don't know what happened means you should be in a parking lot

The hardest part IMO.of a drift is not initiating or maintaining it, its exiting smoothly
    -Chris

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Thanks for the pointers! I'm pretty new to all this, so hopefully with more experience (here's hoping I don't wreck trying to get experience) I'll get the hang of it

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by AsifLicious View Post
    Thanks for the pointers! I'm pretty new to all this, so hopefully with more experience (here's hoping I don't wreck trying to get experience) I'll get the hang of it
    Look you're an idiot if you're trying to learn on the street. Been there done that, and have crashed doing it, luckily not injuring anyone else. You cant get quality practice time in and youre putting other peoples lives at risk. Listen to someone who's been there before and either find a big parking lot and practice there in the rain or go to a drift day.

Find a copy of the drift bible or something like that and it'll walk you through exercises to start with.
    Last edited by ThreeD; 01-04-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Empty parking lot with 4" snow is what you're looking for.

My Cars
    destiny
    You need to try some donuts first to feel out how the back of the car comes out, but you are working with a autotragic :rollseyes:
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    As long as you make certain it isn't full of wheel stops! Light poles can be a pain, too.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    '95 M3, '72 911
    OP, please go away, sell your M3 and buy a Nissan 240SX. The drift crowd has already ruined many E30's; I pray that it doesn't take over the E36 chassis as well.

Oh, and go to a driving school ASAP. It will teach you not to drive like a douche on the street.

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jim89325is View Post
    OP, please go away, sell your M3 and buy a Nissan 240SX. The drift crowd has already ruined many E30's; I pray that it doesn't take over the E36 chassis as well.

Oh, and go to a driving school ASAP. It will teach you not to drive like a douche on the street.
    Lol, shove off. A driver without appreciation for the various disciplines of driving is a one-way-only driver, or in other words a bad driver
    -Chris

My Cars
    destiny
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    Lol, shove off. A driver without appreciation for the various disciplines of driving is a one-way-only driver, or in other words a bad driver
    Word.. Sliding on the street is the most fun, especially after a few drift days and you get a better feel for how to initiate rather than just flicking fhe car into a corner and learning how to exit. I love on ramps
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniSpeC View Post
    Word.. Sliding on the street is the most fun, especially after a few drift days and you get a better feel for how to initiate rather than just flicking fhe car into a corner and learning how to exit. I love on ramps
    Whether or not it's fun and whether or not you are a professional driver who totally knows what he is doing, PLEASE stop doing crap like this on the street. You never know when a deer will run out of nowhere or there will be a piece of retread in the road, etc.

I've had too many people I know hurt and/or almost killed due to people driving like idiots on the road. I know you THINK you know what you are doing and it can't hurt anyone... but the road just isn't the place to be doing stupid stuff. Too many unknowns.

As for OP- having an automatic is going to make things REALLY difficult because you can't really control the throttle completely. Even with your foot off the gas, there's still some power going to the rear wheels. Sure, it's possible, but it's going to steepen your learning curve for sure.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    Whether or not it's fun and whether or not you are a professional driver who totally knows what he is doing, PLEASE stop doing crap like this on the street. You never know when a deer will run out of nowhere or there will be a piece of retread in the road, etc.

I've had too many people I know hurt and/or almost killed due to people driving like idiots on the road. I know you THINK you know what you are doing and it can't hurt anyone... but the road just isn't the place to be doing stupid stuff. Too many unknowns.

As for OP- having an automatic is going to make things REALLY difficult because you can't really control the throttle completely. Even with your foot off the gas, there's still some power going to the rear wheels. Sure, it's possible, but it's going to steepen your learning curve for sure.
    +1. While it can be fun to slide around on the streets, please drift and do donuts in a controlled environment. Mistakes are costly... for the owner-driver and for potential victims - lightpoles or other people and their cars. Also think about how your insurance will increase (if you report it) if you total your car. If you don't report it and you damage other people's cars, think about how much you will have to compensate the victim for - to fix their cars, pay for diminished value, not to mention if they get hurt in the accident. You will be looking at a LAW$$$$$UIT.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Lol really? Take a video if you want us to comment, otherwise we can't do anything.

Learn how to do it in a controlled environment, not on a street. Start by doing donuts and feeding in opposite lock to understand how to balance throttle and steering. Learn how to sit, how to hold the steering wheel, how to position your body...so many fundamentals that are crucial to car control.
    Good god... THIS^^^!!

I wont preach about never doing stupid crap like this on the streets, as I occasionally do it myself. Especially when making u-turns.. Gotta have some fun But at least learn how to do it in a parking lot. If you mess up on a street you may be screwed big time. If you lose control in a parking lot, well, oh well!

And know your damn limits! I consider myself to be pretty skilled, but I am not a professional and I know that. Before you pull something stupid like this, consider what would happen if you DID lose control. Would you hit a curb? Lamp post? End up in a ditch? Hit a parked car? If the answer to any of those is even MAYBE... Don't do it! If the answer is absolutely not, go ahead.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Definitely a great way to learn and it is in an environment that is relatively safe for you and others.

My Cars
    destiny
    Chill guys, u turn clutch dumps are an easy way to embarass yourself, the car comes around really quick sometimes.
    Current
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    The advice you are getting is good. I used to do a good bit of autocrosing, track days, and chump car racing. The more I raced, the slower I drove on the street. I felt safer on the race track than I do on the interstate.

Want to learn car skills? Go to schools/autox or move to the country, get an old pickup, and find some dirt roads!

My Cars
    destiny
    5 speed swap
    Current
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    OP is trying to drift and is confused when he spins out.

OP, why are you doing this on the streets when you are obviously inexperienced?

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by KnudsonsM3 View Post
    OP is trying to drift and is confused when he spins out.

OP, why are you doing this on the streets when you are obviously inexperienced?
    OP watched too many Chris Harris videos and thinks he can do the same.
    -Chris

My Cars
    destiny
    OP watched too many Chris Harris videos and thinks he can do the same.
    OP watched too many of my YouTube videos and thinks the E36 can make even the worst of drivers into Ken Block LOL
    Current
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by TriniSpeC View Post
    OP watched too many of my YouTube videos and thinks the E36 can make even the worst of drivers into Ken Block LOL
    Op needs a fiesta.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by dohcdoh View Post
    Op needs a fiesta.
    OP needs a Fiesta ST

My Cars
    1999 M3,
    Op, how old are you?

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by btheo View Post
    Op, how old are you?
    Well based on his info, I'd say 17.

From Oregon, 95, auto and a 10/14 join date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast