Thread: Vader -remove leather for repair?

My Cars
    99 M3

Vader -remove leather for repair?

99 M3 Cosmos Black. 113,000 miles.

Hi all.
    The drivers seat back has a small area where the stitching is starting to separate. Other than that, the seats are in great shape. Well, the leather is, but the heater doesn't work.

My question is, have you ever removed the leather covering on your vaders and how difficult is it?

I would like to re-sew this section from the inside so the repair is proper and not visible. I suppose I would also replace the non-working heating element too.

How difficult is this?

Thanks.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Uness you have hog ring pliers and know how to use them, get a good upholstery shop to do it.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Pretty much. It's tricky business, especially getting the leather back on so it looks perfect. I know I'll be paying a shop to do it right when I finally decide to replace my front seat covers. That way they can bolster up the foam at the same time.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3, 2008 E90 M3
    I dunno, I did it and I didn't think it was that bad. There is even a write up somewhere on this forum that I used. There wasn't any hog rings at all, but the leather has holes punched into it, that is stretched over these little metal tabs. You have to pull the leather off of the tabs to remove, and old ass leather can be brittle and break.

Heres the write up.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ir-Disassembly

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    I've replaced both my front seat leathers top and bottom and if all you're having to do is one of the backs then you can do this pretty easily yourself. Pull the headrest straight up to remove it then just remove the couple screws holding the backing plate on then just unhook the leather around the seat back. what I did was use needle nose pliers to spread each hog ring apart just enough to get them off. once all the hog rings are removed the leather back will just come off. to re-install it's easiest with some small angled hog ring plier. I was able to just borrow some from my local shop , but you could buy them online or in a supply store somewhere. HF has some cheap ones but they were really too big and not angled so it was easier for me to just use some angled small little crimping pliers to reapply the rings. you can do this pretty easily man.
    Last edited by ben4bama; 05-22-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    99 M3

Vader -remove leather for repair?

The early seats do not have a removeable back, the cover slips in between the frame and the decorative rear panel. Later seat have removeable back panel.

Due to the way the bottom cushion attaches (and shrunk leather), I have accomplished a cheesy stitch repair to drivers seat base. Also re stitched side bolster, and I think I partially removed the seat back to access the bolster seam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-22-2017 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4bama View Post
    I've replaced both my front seat leathers top and bottom and if all you're having to do is one of the backs then you can do this pretty easily yourself. Pull the headrest straight up to remove it then just remove the couple screws holding the backing plate on then just unhook the leather around the seat back. what I did was use needle nose pliers to spread each hog ring apart just enough to get them off. once all the hog rings are removed the leather back will just come off. to re-install it's easiest with some small angled hog ring plier. I was able to just borrow some from my local shop , but you could buy them online or in a supply store somewhere. HF has some cheap ones but they were really too big and not angled so it was easier for me to just use some angled small little crimping pliers to reapply the rings. you can do this pretty easily man.
    now that I think about it since it's just the side bolster you need stitched just remove and carry the cushion still hogringed to get it stitched, no need to fool with the hog rings
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I used pliars to remove the hog rings and it hurt my hands....get some hog ring pliars that may make it easier to remove.....once you see how it works, it isn't too bad.. I used zip ties to reinstall and it was easy! Make sure you take the opportunity to fix the foam too if it needs it
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    99 M3
    Just wanted to follow up and thank all of you for your replies to my question and posting the DIY thread.

It worked out pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty nice and way better than seeing yellow foam...

I was able to re-sew the left side bolster which had separated.

The removal of the seat back wan't too bad. I did not remove the entire seat. The biggest problem was the wire for the heated seat. I couldn't find a plug, so I was forced to cut it. Didn't work anyway. Then I was able to get the seat back into my house and work on it (in the a/c ! ).

I happened to have a pair of hog nose ring pliers that helped a lot. They weren't difficult too remove. Actually, I didn't have to remove every one of them. I only removed what I needed to to be able to fold over the the area (left bolster) that needed to be re-sewn. I had originally planed to remove the entire cover and take it to a leather shop for repair. That would have taken way too much time and not really necessary.

Re-attaching the the rings was a real PITA though. I manged to get them all back in place except for two... nobody will ever notice...

Overall, it was an easy repair.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Awesome fix and posts, now I want to fix mine!