Thread: 2008 M6 buy ?- Tell me why I shouldnt stay a 911 guy

My Cars
    2008 CL 600, 2004 911C4S

2008 M6 buy ?- Tell me why I shouldnt stay a 911 guy

I have a 2004 C4S Cab and a 2009 CL 600 and sub 50,000 mile perfect 1991 928.

im considering but not completely sold on moving to the 2008 M6 Cab but after first drive I'm confused by the identity of the car. I thought it would be a blend of my two current cars but it's not. Not as precise as my Porsche and not even close on the "assertive" power/luxury quotient of the CL meaning lots of power but not lots of smoothness and the Mercedes does have 510 HP. Maybe I'm just not getting what I should be expecting.

its a beautiful car to me. Silverstone Metallic with evey option but carbon fiber and only 27,000 well documented miles. Obviously a great engine but seems really small inside for such a big car. Its not really trackable but also doesn't appear to be very coddling for long interstate runs which it would be making plus grinding it out in gruesome Atlanta traffic. I'm set for a PPI if I decide to move forward.

I had one other BMW a 1998 540i sport that I loved until it went nuts at almost exactly 80,000 miles. I just didn't get that same vibe getting into the M6 but maybe I'm old and jaded now.

i drive a lot of miles so both the M6 and the CL will get driven equally. My CL is more of my kid hauler for me 9 and 5 year old.

i want to be sold on the M6 but I'm struggling. My fall back position is just going to a newer 911 but I don't track and I'm getting old so a bit more luxury with my performance is my preferred choice but always two doors.

My Cars
    e46 m3 / turbo brick
    The m6 would be fantastic if it didn't weight as much as a train

There are no bad questions, just impatient people with answers

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The M6 is a fast GT car... no a 911.

I see plenty of M6s at track days.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Keep p-car dump cl for amg version skip m6

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by attrack View Post
    The m6 would be fantastic if it didn't weight as much as a train
    That is a pretty light train! I take it you have never owned or driven an M6 of this era? They are extremely light on their feet, BMW used aluminum throughout the car's construction to keep it's weight down. The numbers also don't reflect the weight distribution, on the M6 the weight is designed to be between the axles as much as possible to improve handling even further.
    2008 BMW E63 M6 weight: 3770 lbs
    2010 BMW E92 M3 weight: 3704 lbs

Have you driven one OP, or just comparing on paper? I think an M3 or older M5 may be better suited for your purposes based on what you are saying. The M6, while a very capable all-around car - track, road or roadtrips - it doesn't neccessarily excel at any of these in particular. It is ultimately a GT car, look at what a non-M 6 series is used for. Commuters and individuals who take long trips regularly. The M6 is just that, with a bigger engine and a better suspension. But the M division can not make the chassis into something it's not.

Not to kid but the E39 M5 would be my choice here. Cheaper entry price gives you some room for some fun mods, you said you liked the E39 and are moving more towards luxury - the E39 is a timeless design, particularly a "Luxury" interior with the full leather, hard to go wrong. It can do the same duties as the M6 I listed above, but its just a much more simple car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    e39's
    the top gear m6 porsche and some brittish pos comparo was pretty weak, c4s in the rain trounced the m6, really wanted to see the s85 stretch the little boxter out
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.

My Cars
    1995 525i
    Stick w the porsche. After owning one myself its hard to go back. They're so precise. I describe it as going fast in a suit. Bimmers are a diff beast. Just stick w the porsche. The jump between cars is too diff. A small fast porsche vs a big heavy fast bmw. Idk up tp you but imo porsche for sure.

My Cars
    e39's
    996 to e63 m6 is not fair, the 996 seems ancient in comparison
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.