Thread: Transmission Fault

My Cars
    750i

Transmission Fault

Have an 07 750i and just had the transmission fault go on. Gears blinking and car is stuck in P. I got that error message though as soon as I stepped in to the car before I even switched on the ignition. Does this sound more like a battery issue? Been reading up on other threads about this but no one has mentioned WHEN the error shows up.

My Cars
    '04 BMW 730D Sport
    What mileage does the car have on it ?
    Battery issues usually show up with electrical gremlins and errors on the iDrive.

My Cars
    750i
    It has 76k on it.

I pulled the manual Neutral pull under the steering wheel. As soon as I did that, the error message went away, check engine light went away and the car is driving like normal... FOR NOW.

Any ideas? Will probably pick up a handheld scanner for when it happens again.

My Cars
    '04 BMW 730D Sport
    Were you parked on a slope by any chance ?

Love these posts that dissappear before anything is discovered...my e65 is having the dang trans failsafe curse and I have searched everywhere for an actual complete story of issue, steps taken, results of those steps, and actual resolution.
    since there doesn't appear to be anything, I'm going to start a thread and walk everyone through my journey.
    (And I thought my biggest project this year was going to be replacing my valve stem seals...yeah right!)

My Cars
    '04 BMW 730D Sport
    there aren't many regular contributors...
    What mileage does your car have and what symptoms are you experiencing ?

my Alternator broke down and it started popping up all kinds of error messages on it. Engine, transmission and etc...
    After replacing the alternator, the transmission is having an issue. It drives fine on the freeway, but it doesn't like first gears. Is there any reset or programming that needs to be done after the new alternator?
    I had the transmission fixed at 60,000 miles and it has 113000 miles now.
    Appreciate all the help.

My Cars
    2005 E66 745Li
    Have you fully recharged & checked for sufficient batt voltage since the alt was replaced ?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 750Li
    I have a 2008 750Li with 95,000 miles and I am having a similar problem. I don't know if one thing could be related to the other but I'll list all my problems. Today for the first time I had a "slip" when accelerating. I was taking off from a red light and trying to get going kind of quick, about 3 seconds after taking off it felt like the car went into neutral and the engine revved from me pressing the gas. I quickly let off the pedal and it was fine. I was going to have my Logic7 amp looked at and as I went to leave the place the "transmission fault" came up and I could not put the car in drive, it kept putting it back in park. I shut the car off several times and the light went off as well as the check engine light. The slipping problem is still there. I noticed when it slips the P,N,R,D lights flash out. I know that I have to replace the Universal Joint but I don't think that would cause slipping but more of a jerking when shifting. I have had different systems slowly start to go on the car, the amp went out, the trunk button on the trunk no longer works, and now this slipping problem. I also have to replace the belt tensioner. Could this be a software problem? A mechanical problem? or electrical because of the amp not working suddenly? And finally as this is all happening I notice my iDrive screen getting like "static" lines on it. Thank you for any input you can give, and sorry for the scattered way I wrote this.

My Cars
    2006 750i

transmission fault & drive moderately shows up on my 2006 750i

I have a 2008 750Li with 95,000 miles and I am having a similar problem. I don't know if one thing could be related to the other but I'll list all my problems. Today for the first time I had a "slip" when accelerating. I was taking off from a red light and trying to get going kind of quick, about 3 seconds after taking off it felt like the car went into neutral and the engine revved from me pressing the gas. I quickly let off the pedal and it was fine. I was going to have my Logic7 amp looked at and as I went to leave the place the "transmission fault" came up and I could not put the car in drive, it kept putting it back in park. I shut the car off several times and the light went off as well as the check engine light. The slipping problem is still there. I noticed when it slips the P,N,R,D lights flash out. I know that I have to replace the Universal Joint but I don't think that would cause slipping but more of a jerking when shifting. I have had different systems slowly start to go on the car, the amp went out, the trunk button on the trunk no longer works, and now this slipping problem. I also have to replace the belt tensioner. Could this be a software problem? A mechanical problem? or electrical because of the amp not working suddenly? And finally as this is all happening I notice my iDrive screen getting like "static" lines on it. Thank you for any input you can give, and sorry for the scattered way I wrote this.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

My 2006 750i is doing the sane thing. It drives hard

My Cars
    2003 745li
    Is this what you are going through?

I am having a problem with my 2003 e65 transmission, maybe you can help. The problem started one day when I put the car in park and left it running for a minute. When I got back in the car I shifted into reverse. The "R" lit up for a second then jumped back to "N" the dash said "Transmission not in range N only" I shut the car off removed the key and restarted. The car shifted fine for a week or so, then the problem came back. I was able to shut the car off and restart for a while. Today while driving I stopped at a traffic signal and when I began to accelerate I got an error "Transmission failsafe mode Drive moderately."The car limped into the BMW dealer They just said replace the trans for $9000. I am hoping there is something I can try first. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    I have an 07 750Li and had similar issues with the trans faults and limp mode. I found a thread on this forum posted by iKob that was very helpful. He suggested to change the Integrated Supply Module also called IVM. The part cost $125 and takes less than an hour to install. I had my vehicle at the dealer a few times and they never mentioned this as a possible fix. I took it to an independent mechanic and he said that replacing the IVM would be the cheapest start but could not guarantee it would fix the issue. After replacing it, I haven't had any problems with trans faults or limp mode since....$172 parts & labor. Part can be found on EBay

My Cars
    2008 750Li BMW
    I have a 2008 750Li with 140,000 miles the transmission fault; drive moderately light is on. It takes high RPM to engage to the transmission. What is the remedy to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance

Derrick

My Cars
    2008 550i, 2006 750li
    Any remedy? I know this is an old post but I am having the same issue. New battery and oem alternator.