Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 745 Out from 15 year hibernation...Help Please

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

They are not silly questions. You should have seen mine when I first found a website for these cars, Scottie's old one. My first 745i was a bomb left for dead at a Euro shop at worked at part time. Resprayed single stage blue, gold flakes, and a carriage top. No, I did NOT do that. But the car was basically free, just could never secure the title for it and I junked it. Too bad, it was Alpine White w Nutria Buff.

Don up in San Fran helped me out a ton so did Vern years ago. I give credit where credit is due. I took all the info and help they gave me and just pass it on.

It is quite difficult to install that pulse generator on a wireset to me that is already built. Kingborne can make a fresh wireset for you and install that sensor. Be sure to have them made with 7mm wiring for ease of install. Last I saw they were about $80-90 only.

Your hardest part will be acquiring that sensor. BMW had them listed as NLA for a while, but that was when they were really anti importing parts. Now, we have figured out how. I need to ping Blunttech about some keys anyway, so I will ask them about that sensor for you.

Install fresh NGK plugs 'BP5ES' while in there. Highly consider those fiberglass protective boots for the ends of the wires too. They are about $10/pair when I have purchased in the past.

The pulse generator will not keep the vehicle from running and driving normally. You just have no knock protection.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    I have a #1 plug wire w/ the sensor on it from my 85 745i parts car, PM me if you end up needing it. It's a known good wire and sensor.
    Steve H.

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hitman: your first 745 sounded like a unique car! Its amazing how much is different on these from a normal m30. It is definitely a learning process for me , this car has been sitting for so long .

I have been seriously itching to get it to where I can use it regularly. No shop on island really wants to mess with it, even BMW shops.

If I have no knock protection what bad things can happen?

Let me know what blunttech has to say, thanks for asking for me.

Bondospecial: pm on it's way. Sounds good to me

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Quote Originally Posted by BONDOSPECIAL View Post
    I have a #1 plug wire w/ the sensor on it from my 85 745i parts car, PM me if you end up needing it. It's a known good wire and sensor.
    Bondo is like the dealer for the group. Whatever you need he has it. All jokes aside he is a first class seller and ought to work for fedex. His stuff is exactly as he represent It, shipped on the moment, and is well packaged.

Just my public service announcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Espoe: awesome !thank you for the heads up. All you guys seem like great people! I am sure if we all met at a car show we could all talk for hours!

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I took a brave pill and removed and corrected the wiring from the Johnson box. This really made a big difference , car now seemed to be running normal. No more hot start issues. I was able to complete a journey with no problem.

However today I decided it would be good to put the dme back to its proper place. This apparently was not a good idea, once I managed to squeeze the box into it's hole I go and try to start the car and it just cranks.

I am looking at all the wires and nothing seems damaged , any ideas? I am going to test for spark here soon.

Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the car?

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

YES! Excellent progress.

There is a flat, three prong connector in there. White, black, and green wires. If this is unplugged the car will not start. Black pulses the negative side of the coil, green is switched 12V, white is just that stupid fuel rate monitor under the tach.

Start with verifying spark. Make sure AFM plugged in. There are two tests on the crank sensors, resistance and an AC test during cranking. Bypass the main relay too.

Of course someone has a wiring diagram for it. Me. Email me and I will send you the schematics, brush up on your German. I am too lazy to translate it all, but it is easy to follow. There are about 27 wires for the engine plug. Most are power and grounds. Two injector banks. CTS. Coil output. Crank sensors. Etc
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hitman: will send you over a email right away. I am at the car now looking over everything again. Thanks a bunch for your input will let you know how it goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123