Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 745 Out from 15 year hibernation...Help Please

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Anything can fail at any time, even if you are the original owner and maintained everything to spec. A stock boost level car with a bigger turbo will do nearly the same wheel horsepower as a stock turbo car at 1bar area. BUT the air charge is that much cooler and it lights so much faster with a modern wheel, plus a turbocharger upgrade costs more than a modified wastegate. Most people start with more boost, then upgrade other systems accordingly. A diff swap will make a world of difference.

Stock HG is a composite material, it will hold 15psi fine... IF you have the fuel to back up the extra fuel and it is not already on the edge of failure.

I say turn it up, enjoy the car. Difference from 0.4 bar to 0.7 is significant, car should have been delivered at that level. IF the HG pops, replace it accordingly. Stock Elring with ARPs holds up great, the Cometic takes a bit more effort to seal correctly due to specifically required surface finished. Be aware, most of the vehicles will need new camshafts and rockers due to neglect over the years. Not saying yours does, but many do. Lack of valves being set to spec, incorrect oil, and loose camshaft oil spray bars.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    E23 745 Executive 1984
    Quote Originally Posted by zdmcman View Post

The buffalo Hyde is in good shape however has lost most of its original color. There was a box sitting on the back seat for years and that is the colored spot on the back seat

Based on other photos online and my own experience as well, the dark area on the seat might be oil that has escaped from the SLS unit in the trunk and has made its way into the leather. Have a look under the carpets on the driver side of the trunk and see if there is any oil or oily residue visible on the trunk bottom. I'm in the process of restoring a 1984 745i and at the moment trying to lure the oil out of the leather. After many hours of work I am starting to see some results, but it's a real pain in the rear to do.

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hitman : you do have a good point ! When I had the fuel rail off I changed the valve cover gasket, I cleaned and loctited the spray bar bolts.

They were both finger loose but thankfully had not completely come out. Once I get the cluster back in your Johnson box info will be put to use! If things fail once I start using it more I will not be surprised. I fear that once I start turning up the boost, I will turn into some crazy boost monster!

8991xj : i really want to take it easy on the car for now, I know I will start to get the more boost itch soon but there are more pressing matters before that. The water i drained out of it was rusty and brown, who knows what that did to the head gasket! The valve train looks very clean under the valve cover.

Ingmarp: funny you say this , my SLS pump is leaking slowly in the trunk, I would have to say your onto something there . I need to fix the leal before i go broke buying that febi fluid at 16 bucks a bottle lol

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

One of the members here offers reman SLS pumps. Jay Straton maybe? He has a red E24.

Rust and crap in cooling system? Go ahead and start to ready yourself for a rotted head gasket. It can and will leak externally from just the water jacket area around No 1/No 2 cylinders on the exhaust side. Been there! I would drain it all, flush with a garden hose. Then fill with distilled water, run it. Drain again, dump in some Evaporust and top off with distilled. Run it for 30-60min, drain again. Distilled again. Run then drain, finally fill with coolant/distilled. I like Zerex G05, but OE BMW stuff works well too.

Chances are this will have eaten up your heater core also. I would highly consider having your radiator rebuilt, All Rad Supply sells new end tanks. Their passenger tank is not good, but the driver works nice! That is the side prone to failure anyway as it is hot. I spent $120 to have my rodded, boiled, rebuilt.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Just another late update guys, put together the gauge cluster and managed to get the all gauges working. Car does not overheat and stays just a tad below middle on the temp gauge which is a relief.

I have not purchased the aem air fuel gauge yet but it seems that's where the next step is. The car is running very rich, so rich it fouled all the plugs to where it would not start after a short drive.

That being said car does pull pretty good and feels nice, this is a project that has been on the back burner but I am still itching to get it running like a normal car. At the moment I can't trust it to go somewhere and come back !

I am going to remove the Johnson box today and hook up a fuel pressure gauge to see what's going on. I think previous owner really messed with afm spring and screw. I managed to bend the spring lock arm back to where it holds properly .

Does anyone know what proper fuel pressure should be on this car? I have replaced fuel rail and had injectors flow tested and ultrasonically cleaned but one thing I did overlook was the cold start injector.

I am wondering if the cold start injector can also be cleaned? The amount of rust and sediment in the fuel system has some how messed up the cold start injector.

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    I think fuel pressure should be around 40 but I'm sure hitman will correct me if I'm wrong.

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hey everyone, another quick update on the car, I tested the fuel pressure today and it is just a hair below 40 psi which would be good ?

Sicstang: you must be right !

It should be noted that someone may have already disconnected the Johnson box. I will take some photos for you all because wiring is not my strongest attribute.

From a cold start car will require a bit of of slight revving for it to settle into a nice idle, as mentioned earlier car runs pretty well but it refuses to start back up after a drive. I will need to wait a hour or so.

Today I disconnected the afm plug and boom, starts right up and settles into a nice idle. I am assuming that the afm is completely out of adjustment or is just dead. Is it possible to get it rebuilt ?

Does anyone have a spare afm they could part with?

Thanks again guys

My Cars
    e23 e36 e46
    I’ll dig around and see if I can find a spare afm. I’m guessing you are right in that it is out of wack. I had similar issues and had to adjust the spring on mine since it had been messed with by a P.O. as well

My Cars
    '84 733i, 01 X5 00 750iL
    You can get a rebuilt AFM that is the correct part # for the 0280203022 745i application and is in stock on the shelf - I bought one earlier this year. The source is AutoECMS. They are surprisingly affordable -- the $395 price includes a $100 core charge, so it's $295 once they get your core back. You can barely find a junk used 745i AFM for this price.

https://www.autoecmstore.com/products/280203022
    Steve H.

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Sicstang:That would be great! I will also try to mess with it more as well.

Bondospecial:Thanks for that link, probably the smartest route to go down at that price!

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hey all , I am just curious as to why the car will start up and hold a good idle. Run fine but when I turn it off it won't restart.

Once afm unplugged it will catch, startup and run after warm. If afm is plugged back in it will die.

Is afm truly the culprit here or could it be something else I am overlooking?

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Idle AFR should be 14:1 +/- 0.2 on your wideband...this is direct out of the Motronic 745i manual. 1.5% CO is what BMW specified. The car will lean cruise (mid 15s, depends on load and road speed), this is normal and do not be alarmed. FPR is a 2.5 bar...about 36psi with the vac line unplugged.

A properly sorted car will not run with the AFM unplugged.

Service the injectors yet? Buy a wideband, without this it will be impossible to tell you how the vehicle is running.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hitman: I will purchase and install wideband asap!

I have had injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested, fuel pressure is just below 40 psi at idle.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Verify you have a 2.5 bar on there. I could not get my cruise AFRs correct when I tried the 3.0 on my car. Idle could be put into spec, but throttle tip in induced knock as the AFR was just a hair too lean (basically AFM spring too tight). 3.0 does about 45psi, with vacuum a bit different.

You do not want the 3.0 on the car, the 013 ECU and 022 AFM was designed to go with the 2.5 to the 1.5% CO spec. The 3.0 will make the car run too lean at cruise or pig rich at idle, to the point where it can hurt the cylinder walls. Neither of which you want. Your goal is 100% performance bone stock, then worry about dicking with it via more power. Set the base AFM setting on the 5mm allen, screw it all the way down and then three full turns out. Leave it there, this is the fine adjustment. Next set the spring to get the AFR as close to the factory spec as possible. Then tweak it to the OEM spec via the 5mm.

Cleaned all of your grounds yet? If not, make them shiny as can be.

Check your CTS. These cars at times had a resistor installed on the circuit, it runs to Pin 13 on the ECU. Red/brown wire...the Johnson Box also was tapped into this to manipulate the AFR.

Did you remove that bullshit Johnson Box?

Do you have a boost/vacuum gauge on the vehicle?
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

All I have found are -

Battery to engine mount
    AFM to valve cover
    Valve cover to firewall
    Battery to fuse box stud

Probably forgetting one.

Your open plug is the 'impulse generator' for the KLR box aka knock box. This tells that computer when the No 1 cylinder fires and best I figure it compares the commanded spark timing versus valvetrain noise and predetonation (knock) to trim the timing curve to prevent blowing the engine apart. The part number is '12121286148' Foolish techs toss it when they install a fresh wireset on the car as they do not know it is a critical item to the engine electronics.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0102

How much boost are you seeing? Stock is 0.4 bar, right about 6psi. It will not hold it at redline.

My guess you have a previous CA car, probably full of nonsense emission crap. Shoot us lots of pics. Does it have a Bureau of Automotive Resources (BAR) tag on the driver door?
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Just a quick update, looked deeper into the connections of the Johnston box, wiring is still connected to the harness. It was just unplugged so will remove that today. Hopefully I don't mess up

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Box has five wires from what I recall, at least the one I have seen -

Red - Switched 12V
    Black - Ground
    White - Oxygen sensor
    Yellow - Pin 13 intercept
    Orange - Pin 13 intercept

I cannot recall which (orange or yellow) goes to which side of the circuit. One end goes to the ECU side, the other to the CTS. It really is irrelevant as you need to restore the wiring on that circuit....basically hook it back together again per factory design. It is brown/red. I am surprised the car runs and drives with an open CTS circuit.

The design is very interesting and neat how it worked, but was just a bandaid for pushing the car through emissions.

PS - we need more pictures.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    79' 320i 84' 733i
    Great looking car, I like the way those ARE's look on there. I have a set of the same wheels that I will eventually refinish for my 733i. I would love to see some more photos when you get a chance!

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hey guys sorry been slammed at work and by the end of the of the day it's too dark to take photos if everything. I am off tomorrow so will update with photos.

Steven:thank you very much! Will post more photos of the car soon

Hitman: I still need to correct wiring, will use your directions while I am in there. Many thanks. Pics coming fellas

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

My wiring is from a set of notes for one box that was removed on the 11/84 car. I cannot say for sure if it will be the same as yours. A few companies made these, Johnson is the most common and I think Neutronics was the other. Either way, when you get there post up pictures. We can walk you through the removal. Basically if the wiring looks like a hack installed it...they probably did.

Like that charcoal canister under your hood on passenger side, obviously not OEM. Just pull it and toss in the circular file.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Ok guys here are some photos, hopefully it's enough to see what's going on. The wiring where the Johnson box connects to harness looks really shoddy. Looks likes wires were cut and just tied together.

It should be noted the box has been unplugged this entire time but wiring looks to be left as it was. Sorry for the delay I had a tough time uploading photos from my phone.

I also photographed the mystery plug by the distributor. Let me know what else you guys want to see and I will get it uploaded in a timely fashion , I found a easy to use hosting site.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

[img101626.jpg[/img]

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I see it is a 10/84 or earlier car. Toss that charcoal canister in the garbage, not stock.

Is that some sort of athletic sports tape wrapped on the wires???

'Mystery' plug was outlined six posts up. Hit up Steve at Blunttech and see if you can order one.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hitman: no idea what's going on with the tape.

Any idea where the other end of the plug goes?

Do you need more photos of the wiring . I can try to take better photos

I do not have a bar sticker on the car

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=12_0102

The plug on the valve cover is for a missing sensor. Part 14. It is called an pulse generator. One end goes to that plug, that plug runs to the knock ECU (003 unit in glove box by ABS module). Other end goes around No 1 spark plug wire. Car has no knock protection with out the unit.

Removal of that Johnson box is easy. Just remove the non factory wires, reconnect the factory wiring as needed. The only splice should be on Pin 13 wire, the brown/red. This runs to the CTS. The yellow and orange from the Johnson are what are hacked into the OEM brown/red.

It is much easier than you think it is to remove.

I would consider liquid electrical tape to reseal the wiring correctly. It smells bad, be careful.
    I make E23 parts.
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i

My Cars
    Euro Cars
    Hitman: thank you very very much for your encouragement and knowledge. Please excuse my silly questions.

Ok so I will now tackle the box and order a new sensor and with some luck I will see improvement with the way this thing runs. I will keep the pictures coming once repairs are done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast