Thread: How to Repair BMW Radio Pioneer KE83ZBM

My Cars
    1990 BMW 735i

How to Repair BMW Radio Pioneer KE83ZBM

This will fix radio ejection issues and fast forward, rewind, play issues. Some radios are different, but this should work on most late 80s early 90s radios. The CM5908 ALPINE (touch control) units have a different cassette module, and this walkthrough will not work. This radio is a Pioneer Model KE83ZBM.

Here is the radio

Disassembly
    First thing is to remove this screw

Next pry cover off. Start from the back and work forward.

The center object is the cassette module. It is only held in by 4 screws and the circuit board connector. You have to remove the two screws holding the cd changer connector cover, and remove cover, to remove cassette module.

This is the two screws for the cd changer connector. Remove and pry metal cover off.

Here is the circuit board connector. This is how the Cassette module communicate with the radio. It pulls right up.

Just pry on the side with a screwdriver and it should come right out.

Then pull the cassette module out of the radio. It should look just like this.

Ejection issues

This next part is for ejection issues. If you do not have ejection issues and having play back issues skip down to the next part.

First flip your cassette module over to access the bottom. And remove the two screws. The panel should then lift right off.

This belt is what breaks causing tapes to not eject. Most of the radios I have taken apart just have black goo on the spools instead of a belt. They are bad about melting. If you have a black mess instead of a belt. Alcohol works great for cleaning it up. This picture is with a new belt. Notice how the belt is installed.( I do not remember belt size. I went to mcmelectronics.com and ordered a VCR belt repair set. It came with a lot of various sizes. It had the perfect size in it.)

That sums up ejection issues. Re assembly is reverse of disassembly.

Play back, fast forward, rewind issues

If your radio doesn’t like to play tapes. This is gonna be the fix for you. You are gonna have a harder time . Start by removing the two screws on the cassette module.

Then remove the one screw holding circuit board connector on.

Then flip the top cover over to reveal the two belts. You have to pop the worm gears out of the housing notice the red lines. (these belts are new ones I put on)

Now you are ready to put new belts on. Well guess what I can’t find a belt small enough to fit!! I believe the size of the belt is 12mm x .5 mm. (if you can find a source for these belts let me know!!!) Well if you do not take defeat easily and are somewhat crafty, you can make some. I took some O rings with an ID size of 12mm. They are too fat and rub, but if you take a dremel to them you cant cut them down to size.

Here is a before and after

Now install the worm gears with the new belts on. (my custom belts are a little wide but still work)

Pop the gears back into place

Put the belts back on the motors

Now to reassemble. You have to pay close attention to make sure the worm gears engage the red gears all the way

Check for proper engagement here

And when the cover/worm gear housing goes back on make to reconnect cassette tray arm back in this slot. (picture is kinda fuzzy)

Now install the two screws that holds it in place and you are ready to reassemble the cassette module back in to the radio. (Note when you completely assemble the radio. I leave the very top cover of the radio off when I hook it up to the car. I do this to test the function. You can see the cassette module very well to make sure everything works. A problem I ran into was my custom belts were to big and they rubbed. This caused tape to not play. With the top cover off you can see the problem and correct it.

added comment by logle 07/29/2018
    I found the correct belts for the head mechanism. I actually wound up using O rings also but did not have to grind them down. I got them at the O-Ring store. They are 1mm x 12mm Metric Buna-N 70 and cost 9 cents each. Fit perfectly!
    Last edited by shogun; 07-28-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added comment by logle

My Cars
    02 M5 and 94 325ic
    I found the correct belts for the head mechanism. I actually wound up using O rings also but did not have to grind them down. I got them at the O-Ring store. They are 1mm x 12mm Metric Buna-N 70 and cost 9 cents each. Fit perfectly!

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    Thanks for this nice write-up.

My car has a Pioneer KE-81 and it had the same problem. I was able to find all the belts in a large electronics store. Here is a write-up about the KE-81. It's author found the belts on eBay.

One thing that took me a bit to understand was that the bolts that lock the radio in place do not have hexagonal Allen sockets. They are pentagons. You can find keys for them on eBay.

My Cars
    09/87 E32 750iL
    Thanks for this nice write-up.

My car has a Pioneer KE-81 and it had the same problem. I was able to find all the belts in a large electronics store. Here is a write-up about the KE-81. It's author found the belts on eBay.

One thing that took me a bit to understand was that the bolts that lock the radio in place do not have hexagonal Allen sockets. They are pentagons. You can find keys for them on eBay.