Thread: GC coilovers: what spring rate with 7" springs?

My Cars
    e30 325i, e36 m3 sedan

GC coilovers: what spring rate with 7" springs?

I have done numerous searches and have gathered a lot of information about this topic but i still have questions. i plan on ordering coilovers soon but if i get GC coilovers i dont know what spring rates will be proper for my driving. i use my car as a daily driver mostly for street and maybe a little auto-x or something in the future, but generally almost all on the street. ive found out that a 7" spring is best as opposed to the 6" which can coilbind. ive looked on m3motorwerks.com which seems to have pretty good prices on the street kit, and they offer two options: 375/450 7" or 450/525 6". it says that the 375/450 is for street & light autocross/track duty, and the 450/525 for for street & medium autocross/track duty. it then recommends the 450/525 for most cases. i know i dont want the 6" but some people have said that the 375/450 is too soft? is this true even if its mostly for the streets? if so what would be a better spring rate for mostly street driving but that will allow me to auto-x it or even take it on the track if i ever decide to?
    e30 1989 325i coupe, Alpine White

My Cars
    E46M3 SWC, E90325 GAC, E36 ITS, 04 2500HD
    There is more to picking a spring rate and length than you will find in just a few threads. Give me a call tomorrow and I'll walk you though each setup and it's intended usage. We are a GC Master Distributor and have the same pricing as M3motorwerks or any other authorized GC dealer.
    Rob Birkhead | Principal

My Cars
    1999 M3
    They should both work fine. You either get a softer spring rate with more travel or a stiffer spring rate with less travel if you want it.

I have the 375/450 set up and it's awesome for a mainly street car.

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlantan
    They should both work fine. You either get a softer spring rate with more travel or a stiffer spring rate with less travel if you want it.

I have the 375/450 set up and it's awesome for a mainly street car.
    I have ridden in Tim's car and that thing is planted!
    Steve

My Cars
    '95 E36
    I have the 450 rate and im happy with it. The shocks are adjustable too, so if its to rough just tone the shock down. Definitely talk to someone before buying the kit. The guy at m3motorwerks has an e36, we bought the same kit on the same day.