Thread: Reverse lens / cover fell off. What are my options?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i

Reverse lens / cover fell off. What are my options?

Today I closed the trunk and the right reverse lens/cover simply fell off.

(Larger version here)

There are no cracks or anything. What are my options?

1. How hard would it be for me to glue this back on? (I'm not very handy at all.)

2. How hard would it be for me to install a brand new one? Any good sources to buy one?

Are there any good youtube/howto guide on either of these? (lots of links on replacing the bulb, not the lens)

Thanks.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Replacing the lens is a matter of removing a few plastic rivets holding on the trunk panel and then removing the nuts holding the lens. About a 2, on a difficulty scale of 1-10.

You might be able to run a bead of adhesive around the edge and stick it back on, but it'll probably leak and eventually rust out the sockets and fail. But it'd probably be ok for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    If you want a temporary fix till you can replace it, just use a good bead of clear silicone around the rim and press and hold (tape) it in place to get a good water tight seal. However I would replace it.

As mentioned above, super easy to swap out and replacement parts are everywhere on ebay for dirt cheap. You can find videos on youtube that will show how its done. Just look up e46 tail light removal/swap.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    I'd probably glue it back on with silicone, then after it's dry, do a second round of silicone around the edge to help improve watertightness.

If you're replacing it, know that there are at least four different versions of taillights: The body changed in 2002-2004 (the "facelift"), and the coupe is different than the sedan. If you have a 2000 323i, make sure you get the one for the early sedan.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    Thanks. I will look into this.

I was able to remove mine this morning - it was pretty easy. If I get a replacement, will it come with the black rubbery seal in the back? (Or do I need to buy that separately?)

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I'm pretty sure that the black seal that is visible from the rear comes with the lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    Thanks so much!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325ci

Gluing Tailgate lenses E46, 2001 325ci

My lenses detached as well. They were more than 60% detached and the only way to clean out the mildew was to pull them off. I assume it was due to water being trapped and feezing and thawing.

Carefully sanded the perimeter strip where glue is needed on both the housing and the polycarbonate lense with 180 sand paper. Used the acute angle edge of a sanding bit and X-Acto hobby knife to scratch the polycarbonate where sand paper was less effective. The sanding and etching of the surfaces to receive glue is essential for the glue to take hold.

Krylon metallic paint (primer and paint in one) to closely restore mirror paint that had peeled off on exterior face. Did not paint inside the reflector surfaces as these were still good enough. Used PC Super Epoxy carefully applied, small bead. Clamped all the lenses around 12 hours to allow the epoxy to fully cure.

I don't see how to attache a photo from my computer.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by FernGreen View Post
    .... I don't see how to attache a photo from my computer.
    If you wish to display images in your forum message, you have a couple of options to do so from the desktop.

While you are putting together your forum message or editing it, click on the INSERT IMAGE icon and select either FROM COMPUTER or FROM URL.

If you opt for the FROM URL, consider using DropBox.Com, Google Photos, Free Image Hosting(.net) to host your photos. Avoid using Photo Bucket or ImgUr as both make it difficult to link to forums.

I hope that helps!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI