Thread: Is a 7 Series (E65) more expensive to maintain than a 3 Series (E46)? How much more?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323 Wagon

Is a 7 Series (E65) more expensive to maintain than a 3 Series (E46)? How much more?

The title says it all, just about. I currently have a 2000 BMW 323i Wagon. It's great and I'm comfortable with the maintenance costs. I'd like to upgrade to an E65 7 series--probably a 2002 or 2003 745i. They're just so cheap! I'm seeing them for under $6k with around 120k miles on craigslist. I've bought a couple BMWs with mileage around there and been pleased, but the main concern is the possible increase in maintenance cost. And the seeming impossibility of getting a legit AUX input (but that's another thread).
    Sincerely serving the God of truth, grace, peace, hope, love, justice, and mercy...and driving my bimmer

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I can't vouch for the specifics on actual maintenance cost, but the e65 745i has the reputation of being the least reliable BMW built in their entire history. There is a reason why they are so cheap.

I would strongly suggest that you seek the answer to this question in the e65 subforum here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/fo...-%28E65-E66%29

I wish you the best of luck, I can tell you right now that the overwhelming response to this question will be that the 745i will be much more expensive to own compared to the 323i.

If you are ok with the older chassis, the 2001 e38 7 series is really a much better buy. It will be a big upgrade in luxury and power from the 323i, even though the technology available in it isn't far ahead of your 3 series.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Replacement costs for parts will be high... especially since they are considerable more limited in availability.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    At least you may want to consider the 750i/li as they are better than the 745i not only in power but also in terms of reliability.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Yes, the e65 had some issues. People are truly afraid of that car and that's why you can pick them up for next to nothing. The e46 overall is a much better car in my opinion.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323 Wagon
    THANK YOU guys. I think you saved me a lot of trouble. I'm convinced not to buy one. But what should I buy? Is the '07-08ish 328i a reliable car? My dream car is the 2010 535xi wagon, but I'm not sure how reliable those are either (nor can I afford one right now).
    Sincerely serving the God of truth, grace, peace, hope, love, justice, and mercy...and driving my bimmer

My Cars
    z3
    I'm one of the few people here not terrified of the E65 as I owned one for awhile. While their unreliability is overhyped the E46 is one of the more reliabile BMWs out there and there is no contest between those two regarding reliability.

328i's aren't terribly unreliable and may prove a decent upgrade for you

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Honda civic
    What does anybody think about purchasing a 2002 bmw 745i for $800-$1000? My friend is selling it and says he just wants it gone. I test drove it, and the transmission shifting is a bit off. Would this be worth it for a fun car for a couple months, or would it even run that long?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Are you an advanced DIYer who can find another trans and swap it in yourself?

My Cars
    BMW
    Find a clean E38 7 series. They're actually reliable.

My Cars
    There's a reason it's so cheap. Because it's a giant piece of garbage. If you pay $800 for it, and get at least two months out of it, well then you basically rented it for $400 a month. Anything more than that and I guess you came out on top. It just depends on if it will make it a few months without putting any additional money into it.

Does the audio system work? Check engine lights? Will it pass emissions or inspection, as it sits right now? Any other warning lamps or malfunctions?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician