Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E46 Drift Build turbo 5.3 lots of goodies

My Cars
    00 323i, 00se mazda mx5
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysfab View Post
    Welded on the brackets for the dual rear calipers. Started building the Trans tunnel out of aluminum sheet. Nobody cares but I'll still post updates for my self to read later
    I like this steering column of yours, one day I will get around to making one.

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    I was planning on going with 330i calipers and rotors but now I'm thinking about just going huge with 745li rotors and making caliper adapters.
    Thanks ron. It's just the stock steering shaft with all the shit taken off

My Cars
    00 323i, 00se mazda mx5
    Awesome, I didn't know it stripped down so well. I have been told that the bushing/bearing/ guibo....whatever the hell they call it, in the steering shaft, is a theorized cause for the memory steer that these cars experience. So I wanted to at some point go with am all new steering shaft, once I got final seat position worked out.

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2014 wrx
    dang thats some crazyness going on!

Any more update's? has it been finished?

My Cars
    BMW E30

Moon

hii.. this is neel smith and i read your thread and i decide that please cunsult the expert thank you![url]

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    I've completely forgot to post updates to here. Don't know what the last update I posted was but I got m parallels, Air Lift digital kit, borg warner s366, and a few little things. Did a boser hood because I was bored.

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    wait...did i miss where you decided to drift on air suspension?
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    98 323
    apparently this is becoming a thing. rapper dan (who's pro1 or pro2 or something, bah i don't follow forumla d) posted on facebook a few weeks ago about some sort of airbag coilovers that he really wanted (or has?) for his formula d car
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Just cuz he says he likes it, doesn't mean he's gonna run it.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    Don't know how I feel about the air ride but it'll be pretty badass either way.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Don't know how I missed this thread, looks like we are doing pretty similar builds, only yours is boosted! Looks killer so far. What are you using the car for? Fun, pro-am, etc? Unless I misunderstood the FD rulebook you aren't allowed to tie the rear subframe in to the cage ( I was going to do that too). I also opted to go with the remote water pump from Meziere. What are your plans for getting water from the engine bay to the trunk?
    Last edited by Novablue454; 11-23-2015 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    I might not have announced it on this forum but I got a sponsorship deal from Air Lift Performance. They're fairly common in grip racing but not popular in drifting yet. It'll allow me to control spring rates and therefore handling with the touch of a button. There's not real difference between air and metal springs.
    And there's nothing in the fd rules that are against tying into the rear subframe. I will be using this car for pro-am competitions.
    For getting water to the rear I am just going to use the factory water pump. I've heard it's plenty efficient to get the water back there

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    From the 2015 rulebook

"The original OEM floorpan, frame and or unibody must remain unmodified between the horizontal planes createdby the original floorpan at the lowest horizontal plane to the roof at its highest horizontal plane. With theexception of transmission tunnel and firewall dimensions listed below and Fuel cell rule.

Items in the unmodified zone that are allowed to be removed can include original rear window parcel shelf, tabsor mounts for unused OEM steering columns, unused OEM windshield wiper mounts, and the exterior roof panelcan be replaced with a composite panel.

Rear suspension tower cross-members located at the top of the rear suspension towers may be removed from theunibody interior only if a suitable replacement structure of equivalent strength is installed.

No part of the engine casing may cross the vertical threshold of the original firewall into the transmission tunnel.

No other modifications may be made to the vehicle chassis, frame, or unibody."

I take that as saying that you can't, as did the shop installing my cage, as well as someone else in this thread:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-clarification

I could be totally misunderstanding that though, it wouldn't be the first thing in that rulebook that is worded unclear.

I mean what are you using as lines to the rear? Aluminum tubing underneath the car, AN hose the whole way, etc?

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    Money gang Steve is competing in fd Canada with similar rear subframe reinforcements and I believe Chelsea denofa has the same. The rulebook is very unclear in a lot of things and it seems like they're laid back about it somewhat. I'm planning on running aluminum tubing inside the car to the rear covered as per fd rules

My Cars
    98 323
    +1, since the subframe issue is so commonly known i think most sanctioning bodies tend to make exceptions for us
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Ah, ok. I was planning on doing something similar (as you could see in that other thread) but the wording of the rulebook scared me out of it. I tried to find pics of Alex's car to see what he did, but there are none to be found I don't think.

ah, ok. That is my plan too. Some people say to run it underneath the car, but that worries me.

My Cars
    98 323
    if you're worried about running the pipe underneath the car, you could always use steel instead of aluminum for the piping. granted, you'd be looking at (roughly) a 14lb weight penalty, but the steel tube is gonna be significantly more puncture/dent/whatever resistant than the aluminum. and as long as you're not running straight water, the rust inhibitors in coolant will keep the piping fairly rust free for years

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...83&top_cat=197

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...=71&top_cat=60

PS - my local metal supply company typically gives me quotes that are almost half that of onlinemetals.com, so you should probably try to find somewhere local to get a quote first
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    1985 bmw 318i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysfab View Post

What is that thing in the background? Camaro wheels, frame, solid frear axle, but s13 front fenders?

My Cars
    00 323i, 00se mazda mx5
    Laid* them*

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    That's a bagged s10 frame. I have a 48 plymouth 2 door sedan body for it. The s13 fenders are just hanging out on there

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    Got the hotside piping all tacked together. I made both sides roughly the same length to help scavenging. Still need to order 2 v bands to go from the manifolds to the rest of the piping.

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    Painted my roll cage a pretty color. And forgot to post the picture of the exhaust I made a while back. 3" off the turbo to 4" to dual 3" shooting behind the rear tires. I'm thinking it'll make burnouts look really cool.
    On Monday I should be getting bosch 1000cc injectors, mishimoto radiator and a water pump!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    not a lot of guys going with the z33 trans in BMWs these days.
    i was going to for my daily, but i worry that the shifter is gonna be damn near behind me without relocating the driver's seat, steering wheel, pedals, etc back.
    i've been looking for pics of where your shifter is going to come up thru the tunnel, but nothing yet.
    or are you converting it to a toploader? i haven't found any way yet to accomplish such a thing.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i
    I guess I haven't posted a pic of the trans tunnel I've started building. I will be relocating the pedals, seat, and steering wheel back to help weight distribution.
    I've also seen people make a relocation bracket to as far forward as front of the black rectangular removable cover

My Cars
    99 BMW 325i

Building a giant 72" custom wing and made the wing stands in solidworks and had them cnc'd

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast