Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damn...new oil thread. Rotella T6 full synthetic NOT for use in automobiles per Shell

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Any manufacturer recommended oil is just a business deal. Sure, it meets the specs and it's usually high quality but any perception that somehow if you use equivalent quality and specs somehow your engine is slowly starting to wear faster is absurd.
    I've picked one company 10+ years ago and I'm sticking with it with great results. Just about every single fluid in all of my 3 cars comes from them:
    http://www.liqui-moly.us/

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Still waiting to see some oil analysis'.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    There is one here from a couple years ago: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...otella-T6-5W40
    This was on T6 that was in the car for 12,500 miles. The car had 213,000 miles on the odo.

My Cars
    1998 MZ3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Old, but still relevant thread. Here is my S52 oil analysis using Rotella T6, 6,000 miles over two years.

Attached below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hubjeep; 01-22-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    1998 MZ3.

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Is rotella fine if you yank the cats?
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I think its only an issue if you have sort of high oil consumption as the additives can foul catalytic converters. If you oil consumption "Normal", it's not an issue from what I read.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    are slow
    I use it, but it's mixed with Castrol and Moly Premium 5w40. My cats haven't exploded either, but I wonder how it holds up in an M54.

Seriously, oil warriors will go straight for the cat arguments to justify 20 year old LL-01 as the only solution.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-23-2017 at 09:24 AM.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    The Shell Rotella T6 has been one of the favored oils on the Concours Owners Group (COG) site for awhile now. This site is exclusively for Kawasaki Concours C10 and C14 owners who ride these sport tourer bikes. There are members who only use the T6 and several have over 100K miles and a few are approaching 200K miles on their bikes. These bike have much higher redlines and motorcycles are WAY tougher on oil than you guys here thinking you are driving a "performance" machine. Trust me if it's ok for these bikes it will be fine in your vehicles!

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I think its only an issue if you have sort of high oil consumption as the additives can foul catalytic converters. If you oil consumption "Normal", it's not an issue from what I read.
    I'd never use anything less than the BMW LL-01 certification along with the API Certification. Dunno that's just me.... all oil comes comes from the motherland.if it does not meet those stringent standards of quality it's not going in my car. Considering the Alisuil Special piston coating in it as well.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    You have to do what feels right for you, but I think the cams/followers are the much bigger issue for the M62 than the alusil cylinders and applicable piston skirt coatings are. Personally I've only ever lost engines to oil issues when the oil loses its viscosity for some reason. Never had a problem with Rotella T6, but I have with the mineral version of Rotella. The 15w40 stuff, whatever T that is... T4?

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    You have to do what feels right for you, but I think the cams/followers are the much bigger issue for the M62 than the alusil cylinders and applicable piston skirt coatings are. Personally I've only ever lost engines to oil issues when the oil loses its viscosity for some reason. Never had a problem with Rotella T6, but I have with the mineral version of Rotella. The 15w40 stuff, whatever T that is... T4?
    My friend uses Dino 15w40 Rotella in his salvage title E46 M3 that we abuse daily. Why, because he wants to piss kids off. Rod bearings were fixed, so he has no fear of them going.

Changed every 2-3k miles, Filter every 6-8.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-23-2017 at 12:09 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I think that stuff (15w40) is generally fine, but I was really cooking the crap out of it with a hard working turbo and it surprisingly didn't hold viscosity real well when super hot. Eventually I lost a rod bearing one day when I was thrashing it and took out the crank. That engine also didn't really love the vaunted Mobil 1 0w40 or whatever it is... That stuff does not seem to enjoy thermal abuse.

REALLY liked Redline Racing Oil 50w though. Nothing I've tried holds oil pressure as steady when hot as that stuff does. Not very relevant to this thread though, since it also has too much zinc phosphate or whatever that zinc compound is that makes it "not converter friendly" if you're burning oil.

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Diesel oil not holding up to a hot turbo? Weird...
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    I wonder why massive tractor trailers are not dying left and right then
    E90 335i

E39 540i (SOLD)
    Racing

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Dunno. Maybe there is a reason that they are different like more oil capacity/coolers, or maybe it's something altogether unrelated that misled me.

My Cars
    1998 MZ3
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    My friend uses Dino 15w40 Rotella in his salvage title E46 M3...

Changed every 2-3k miles, Filter every 6-8.
    My main concern would be cold temperature start up. The 15W will not flow as well in the cold as a 5W for example, think of the W as "winter".

Here is a simple video, I was surprised at the flow difference at 13*F, which I see some nights here in NY.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV75UbsZ4ec

Fast Forward to 5:30 to see a visual.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8
    Last edited by Hubjeep; 01-24-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    1998 MZ3.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubjeep View Post
    My main concern would be cold temperature start up. The 15W will not flow as well in the cold as a 5W for example, think of the W as "winter".

Here is a simple video, I was surprised at the flow difference at 13*F, which I see some nights here in NY.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV75UbsZ4ec

Fast Forward to 5:30 to see a visual.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8
    Well, at least he has a heated garage. I'll convince him to get TWS one of these days.

I wonder about the viability of 0w40 in the S54 or other high revving engines. I don't like the fact it flows like water when cold and when the P.O. ran it in my M62, VANOS was a lot louder. But there's a lot of hype surrounding it too.

I'm also forced to keep stocking it for our 955 CS that suffers from cylinder scoring due to to oil starvation.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-24-2017 at 12:30 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by dk500 View Post
    Diesel oil not holding up to a hot turbo? Weird...
    Yeah makes sense to me... most diesels are thermostat'd a notch below gas motors (witness the diesel 'stat we're all running in our 540's now...), and even though diesel turbos tend to be oil-only, no water jackets, diesel EGT's are fair bit cooler than gas normally. Thads thrashing redline on a hyped up turbo gas motor for sure would stress the oil more than some big ol' Cummins pickitup truck chugging along hauling a trailer or whatever.

The oil cooler point is good one too. Big ass fat oil coolers on those things often also.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, on the Rotella, while we're zombie-reviving the topic - FWIW I used to run T6 in my fairly hard-run Audi. Went fine but then again my cat clogged at some point (almost definitely not because of the T6) and so it was de-catted. I would say this, it ate a lot of oil using the T6, the currrent owner of that car switched to some LubriMoly magic mojo oil and has nearly zero oil consumption. And it ain't cuz he doesn't mat the thing properly either.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I would say this, it ate a lot of oil using the T6, the currrent owner of that car switched to some LubriMoly magic mojo oil and has nearly zero oil consumption. And it ain't cuz he doesn't mat the thing properly either.
    That's an interesting data point to me. Do you know much about the characteristics of that LubriMoly oil, such as viscocity and degree of "synthetic-ness"? I found the more "truly-synthetic" an oil was supposed to be in terms of claimed fancy base stock and all that, the more stable the oil pressure stayed between fully cold and fully hot. Also, it has always seemed to be (anecdotally) that higher viscosity oils (higher hot oil pressure) seem to be consumed more slowly than oils with lower hot oil pressure.

Mobil 1 0w40 had low cold and hot oil pressure in my engine, and that oil quickly turned into a glitter factory. Good bye rod bearings. When I had the problem with the 15w40 it was different. That oil had quite high cold oil pressure, but when I really railed on it like mad (only four quarts of oil in that pan), the oil pressure would plummet. Good bye rod bearings and crank.

So to be fair, it's impossible for me to say which came first, low oil pressure, or damaged rod bearings. Going by sound and feel it **seemed** to me that the plummeting oil pressure from expected oil temp gain took out the bearings.

An extra thousandth of rod bearing clearance and the nice consistent oil pressure from Redline Racing Oil 50w made everything happy. But I never really got to see what happened with oil consumption with that setup I guess. It seems like shortly after I got everything nicely sorted with that setup I sold it... The guy I sold it to has really enjoyed it, haha.

I'm not married to Rotella T6 or anything, but for a nice cheap option, it has worked well for me, especially in a car with a much greater oil volume like the 540. Good to hear some similar data from you GG.

My Cars
    are slow
    Liqui Moly 5w40 Premium I believe is a Group 3, but it takes a dunk on LL-01 Castrol 5w40 (which is basically on par with M1 in shearing). Hi Tech is Group IV

It doesn't burn in my B5 1.8T, whereas Castrol would be a quart every 4k.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-26-2017 at 10:20 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    So T, I run the LM also in the wife's car which has the "VAG 2.0T PCV oil burning curse". Or at least it did until we switched to this crap.
    Wife used to carry around quarts of M1 and while under CPO warranty dealer was like "yeah its fine to run until the low oil light shows in the dash then top off" (uh NO IT IS NOT OK to do that...) and she'd be doing top offs regularly (I can always hear when that car is low on oil WELL before the light comes on... what does that say about the A-hole dealers advice? ) Now its unusual for her to have to add any at all between changes.

The LM product range is extremely confusing and hard to sort out... (they have some places where they categorize into "semi-syn", "syn", and "FULL syn"... uh like whats the Syn vs semi mean if there's then "FULL Syn" above that? OK OK yeah sure it has to do w/ Group 3 vs 4 and PAO content etc. and the "fully fully really SYN" is prob 100% PAO base but anyway it couldnt be more confusing for a layman...) and in typical oil co practice they seem to brand same products differently on different continents, but this is the stuff we're talking about here...

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000...40-23.0-en.pdf

And this is their LL-01 version, for people to whom that matters:
    https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P003...40-17.0-us.pdf

But I'm led to understand the LL-01 differences are mainly about long-change interval crap that most of us around here aren't really concerned by, aka we're never going to those OCI's so we don't care as much about how it holds up after 10k miles as we do how it works when its nice and fresh...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    I use it, but it's mixed with Castrol and Moly Premium 5w40. My cats haven't exploded either, but I wonder how it holds up in an M54.

Seriously, oil warriors will go straight for the cat arguments to justify 20 year old LL-01 as the only solution.
    Cat argument to justify LL-01?...hardly. Now I realize I'm speaking with someone that is "home brewing" his own formulation; but for most of us, the default process for oil selection is the owners manual, and current manufacturer recommendations. That leads one to an LL-01 specification oil. LL-01 oils tend to have a relatively high HTHS for their viscosity rating, and meet BMW's strict long oil change intervals without breaking down. While most enthusiasts change their oil much sooner, it is nice to have the assurance of an oil that can go the distance if required. I was impressed with a thread (bobistheoilguy?) where a E46 owner did proscribed 15k oil changes using factory BMW 5w-30 high performance synthetic oil right up to 105k miles, then pulled the valve cover and posted pictures. Nice golden varnish (to be expected)...otherwise unremarkable. No carbon, no sludge, nothing...looked just fine.

I'm pretty confident you can use any synthetic oil you want and if changed at reasonable intervals, it would work out fine. But when making a recommendation to a stranger, I'm going to always recommend one follow the manufacturers recommendation, as that carries the least amount of risk. The catalyst thing is not to be ignored, especially with the cost of catalyst replacement, but not my first or over riding concern.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast