Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Francois' long term v8 project (PIC HEAVY)

My Cars
    82 320i
    well today I picked up some material for the rollcage ... I wanted 1.5" x 0.120 but my cheap pipe bender doesn't have a die that fits that perfectly, neither does a 1.75 x 0.095 ... but a 1.625 x 0.120 is a PERFECT fit so I bought 5 lenghts of 22 feet, they were actually cheaper than 1.5" ones

My Cars
    82 320i
    It's been a while since I last updated this thread ...

I've picked up an LS1 + T56 complete drop out so I will be running the aluminium 5.7 at first but I will probably still be building the LQ4 and swap that in later on.

I have a question now about Drift angle kits .I've just noticed now that Wisefab and SLR kits are the same prices ...
    the SLR kit states that it increases the track width by 162 mm on the e30/e36 (I'll be running e36 front end parts) does anyone know how much the Wisefab kit increases the track width ?

which kit is better / which kit would you recommend ?

thanks

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteDorFrank View Post

I've picked up an LS1 + T56 complete drop out so I will be running the aluminium 5.7 at first but I will probably still be building the LQ4 and swap that in later on.

I have a question now about Drift angle kits .I've just noticed now that Wisefab and SLR kits are the same prices ...
    the SLR kit states that it increases the track width by 162 mm on the e30/e36 (I'll be running e36 front end parts) does anyone know how much the Wisefab kit increases the track width ?

thanks
    Probably a better question to ask in the drift section, tbh.

All the kits are pretty much going to run the same as far as width. If I was spending money right now and could go wider I would look probably spend half the money and buy the kit from driftknuckles.com.

My Cars
    1977 320i

thanks
    Might be best to ask that question on the sub forum. more people will be familiar with the kits.

My Cars
    82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by audioscience10 View Post
    Probably a better question to ask in the drift section, tbh.

All the kits are pretty much going to run the same as far as width. If I was spending money right now and could go wider I would look probably spend half the money and buy the kit from driftknuckles.com.

Quote Originally Posted by WantingAfunE21 View Post
    Might be best to ask that question on the sub forum. more people will be familiar with the kits.
    yeah you guys a right, I should have started this thread in the drift section ... is it possible to move the thread ?

the Driftknuckles.com kit is pretty interesting ... although it seems like something I could do at home here for free with my stock parts, it's awesome kit for someone on a bujet without any fab skills though ...

I want to buy either SLR or Wisefab because they are complete bolt on kits made from scratch and seems pretty well built.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    yeah you guys a right, I should have started this thread in the drift section ... is it possible to move the thread ?

the Driftknuckles.com kit is pretty interesting ... although it seems like something I could do at home here for free with my stock parts, it's awesome kit for someone on a bujet without any fab skills though ...

I want to buy either SLR or Wisefab because they are complete bolt on kits made from scratch and seems pretty well built.
    The thread is good here, I like following your progress. That particular question should be asked there though.

My Cars
    82 320i

Huge change of plans !

just as I was looking to buy a drift angle kit I had a huge change of plans ... there was a few things involved that made me change my mind :

1. My buddy was bugging me to sell him my LS1 + T56 out of a 98 camaro that I was gonna use in the e21
    2. I realized that BMW bolt pattern is 5x120 and GM bolt pattern is 5x120.65 and that they can fit easily (I can still run my 5x120 epsilons)
    3. I found the perfect donor car for cheap and started adding things up and it was a no brainer to go get it.

the original plans were to fit an e36 front end on the e21, fit the e28 rear end, use the camaro engine and t56, and build a rollcage ... I have all the parts needed already, it was just a matter of fitting everything together...

then I started thinking about all the parts I needed to buy to upgrade what I got :

drift angle kit : 2000$ (CND)
    Big brakes upgrade kit : 2000$ (CND)
    all bushings : 500$ (CND)
    custom driveshaft
    figure out steering column
    figure out power steering
    etc etc

then I would of had to figure out and fab everything and make everything work together, everything seemed like it was gonna be a real pain to figure out ...

So I found a 1999 C5 Corvette with an hydrolocked ls1 and a stripped interior for a steal of a deal ... and then when I started comparing things it just made sense to go this route instead.

the corvette brakes are better and bigger than the upgraded brakes I would have bought, the suspension system is way better on the corvette than the old 1984 trailing arms of the e28, the corvette is complete, already designed and put together, steering, suspension, diff, brakes, driveshaft, all made to handle the v8 power ....

so I sold My engine to my buddy, picked up the corvette and started stripping it ... I'm gonna drop the e21 body on the corvette frame and build a rollcage and call it a day ! ....

and I also bought LS3 CNC ported heads, every single LS gaskets, BTR stage 4 camshaft, and I'm gonna drop in my LQ4 (6.0L) in it (I already had the engine and ls3 intake) this setup should make inbetween 450 to 500 rear wheel horsepower (closer to 500 I hear but I'll see when I get it dyno'd)

Got the car in the garage after a 3400km round trip to go pick it up

stripped it

my buddy picking up the Camaro engine he begged me for

the corvette doesn't have much drift angle but there's lots of room before the wheels hit the control arms so I should be able to fab something.

I did a few quick calculations and just by eyeballing it it seems like the steering wheel and the seat will be about 12" further back into the cab, which will make me sit very far back in the car ... I still have to figure that out

here's what it would look like

I'll try to work on it a bit more often and keep this updated .... I'd really like to have it driving next summer but that's a bit too enthusiastic

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i M20 Turbo
    Thats gonna be incredible! Curious how close the e21 body will fit on the c5 chassis and any tweaking that needs to be done.
    1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8L

CHECK OUT >>>
    RAGE DRIFT DESIGNS <<< FOR DECALS AND MORE!

My Cars
    '82 320i, '86 Jetta,
    Amazing!

Have you seen the Civette? A civic hatch mated with a Corvette C5 chassis, the hondatech thread has a bunch of the fab work detailed.

My Cars
    1983 320i
    The corvette seems so much bigger that it is hard to imagine it working but I am definitely interested in watching. I have always wanted to get a roller 2002 and put the body on a modern 3 series.

My Cars
    81 BMW e21, 98 VW gti vr
    interesting. I'm excited to see where this goes.

My Cars
    82 320i
    Back from the Dead !!!
    life gets busy, things happens, hobbies gets pushed aside.
    basically haven't worked on the car since the last post, which was just over 2 years ago ! but now that my Daughter is almost 2 years old, house renovations are basically done, I'm starting to be able to spend some time in the garage.

Let's go back to December 29th, here's where the donor car sat

Finally dug it out, brought it back inside and started stripping it

then I started hacking the e21

and then my buddy came over this weekend and we worked a solid 12 hours on it

this weekend was Fueled by Alberta Genuine Draft ! at this point, we were looking at it, it was passed midnight, and decided to call it a day

We even took the time to clean up the shop before leaving, so that next time I walk in there I can start work right away. As you can see from previous pictures, I have way too much junk laying around everywhere.

if you want to you can check out my instagram @ButteDorFrank

Cheers

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567