Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Francois' long term v8 project (PIC HEAVY)

My Cars
    04 S60R, 03 M3, 83 320i
    Since others are posting pics of swaps...

What I was working on before I reverted back to stock. I also ran into space issues with the brake booster on the e21. I didn't have to worry about headers though like yourself.

My Cars
    1983 320i
    i gotta ask, what is that exatcly?! looks sweet how did it pan out?

My Cars
    M42 swap, turbo imminent
    Yeah, this one has me stumped. I like the idea of a v6 because you can keep the weight close to the firewall. The problem for me is that most v6s just sound terrible. There are some notable exceptions of course.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 81 E21 72 Bav
    Butter, you're thread has been hijacked.... And I'm going to do absolutely nothing about it.

http://youtu.be/f3W5KDtHjlU

No understeer here. Yes, I did notice it has cutting brakes.
    Last edited by TheNeek; 12-11-2014 at 01:35 PM.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i M20 Turbo
    inboard disc brakes would be a PITA to change.
    1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8L

CHECK OUT >>>
    RAGE DRIFT DESIGNS <<< FOR DECALS AND MORE!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by okieflats View Post
    Transaxle De Dion, for weight distribution. '87 Alfa Milano, common in pick 'n pull yards, or gtv6. Could be put in e21? Would be a project or more
    The Porsche 928 has a 5 speed dogleg transaxle. That would be interesting experiment too.
    Tbd

My Cars
    04 S60R, 03 M3, 83 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by kilian22 View Post
    i gotta ask, what is that exatcly?! looks sweet how did it pan out?
    Quote Originally Posted by HipMF View Post
    Yeah, this one has me stumped. I like the idea of a v6 because you can keep the weight close to the firewall. The problem for me is that most v6s just sound terrible. There are some notable exceptions of course.

Nissan 300zx Z31 3L turbo.

I'm actually in the process of returning it back to stock to sell. I just bought an e46 M3 with no motor or transmission. I do however have a 2jz and 6speed that will be going into it.

My Cars
    82 320i
    i personally think the v8 is kinda heavy, but damn do i love the idea. i went with a toyota blacktop beams for my e21 (will start thread soon) rated at 210hp not overly aggressive but i think it'll be awesome with the great balance of the car. a jdm engine was cheaper than going to my local junkyard and getting anything heavier so i thought what they hey...... i'm a urban hillbilly with a jap engine in a German car (i'm gonna piss of a lot of people and i love it)

apperently i overdid that a little, sorry everyone lol
    what car is that engine out of ? looks pretty old school for as high as 210hp

Quote Originally Posted by ShockStrauss View Post

What I was working on before I reverted back to stock. I also ran into space issues with the brake booster on the e21. I didn't have to worry about headers though like yourself.

what happened that you went back to stock ? seems like you almost had it completed.

I have yet to find any v6 that I like, they sound bad and they have just as bad fuel economy then a v8 and have less power lol ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheNeek View Post
    Butter, you're thread has been hijacked.... And I'm going to do absolutely nothing about it.

I actually watched that video not long ago, pretty nice noise comming out of there ! it does sound better then an American V8 to be honest. I opted away from a BMW engine because of how expensive they are to fix or get parts for ... (maybe I'm just not educated well enough tho)

an engine swap that I really considered was a Suzuki Hayabusa engine ... light weight, decent power, sequential transmission but no reverse.
    you can always get an inline reverse box, and turbo the engine ... I was just worried about the weight of the car and the way I'm gonna be beating on it that the transmission wouldn't be able to handle it.

if money wasn't an issue, this is my dream engine :
    http://www.radicalperformanceengines...Macroblock-v8/

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

I'll just keep dreaming

- - - Updated - - -

i personally think the v8 is kinda heavy, but damn do i love the idea. i went with a toyota blacktop beams for my e21 (will start thread soon) rated at 210hp not overly aggressive but i think it'll be awesome with the great balance of the car. a jdm engine was cheaper than going to my local junkyard and getting anything heavier so i thought what they hey...... i'm a urban hillbilly with a jap engine in a German car (i'm gonna piss of a lot of people and i love it)

Quote Originally Posted by ShockStrauss View Post

what happened that you went back to stock ? seems like you almost had it completed.

I have yet to find any v6 that I like, they sound bad and they have just as bad fuel economy then a v8 and have less power lol ...

I actually watched that video not long ago, pretty nice noise comming out of there ! it does sound better then an American V8 to be honest. I opted away from a BMW engine because of how expensive they are to fix or get parts for ... (maybe I'm just not educated well enough tho)

an engine swap that I really considered was a Suzuki Hayabusa engine ... light weight, decent power, sequential transmission but no reverse.
    you can always get an inline reverse box, and turbo the engine ... I was just worried about the weight of the car and the way I'm gonna be beating on it that the transmission wouldn't be able to handle it.

if money wasn't an issue, this is my dream engine :
    http://www.radicalperformanceengines.com/Powertec-Macroblock-v8/

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

I'll just keep dreaming

My Cars
    M42 swap, turbo imminent
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteDorFrank View Post
    Google knows. As usual, the story is that all the cool stuff never made it to the states.

From Wikipedia:

Fifth Generation "Black Top"
    The fifth-generation 4A-GE engine produced from 1995 to 1998 is the final version of the 4A-GE engine and has black cam covers. It uses Toyota Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system on the intake cam. This engine is commonly known as the "black top" due to the color of the valve cover, and yet again features an even higher compression ratio (11:1). The air flow sensor is replaced with a MAP sensor, the diameter of the four individual throttle bodies was increased from 42 mm to 45 mm, the exhaust port diameter was increased, the intake cam lift was increased from 7.9 mm to 8.2 mm and the intake ports were significantly improved in shape, contour and also the width at opening at the head was increased. Additionally, the black top had a lighter flywheel, a larger plenum, lighter connecting rods and revised rubber velocity stacks, and was also offered in 1997 with a six-speed C160 transaxle. This revision increased the power to 165 PS (121 kW) at 7,800 rpm with 16.5 kg·m (162 N·m) of torque at 5,600 rpm. The 'Blacktop' has become a favorite among enthusiasts and is used as an easy power upgrade for the early Toyota Corolla models, especially for use in the drift scene. Due to the relatively high state of tuning of the stock motor, most power/torque gains come from higher lift cams and engine management.
    Applications:

- - - Updated - - -

@1:24
    Chase vehicle has no trouble keeping up. In fact seems to be being held up a bit. What did they use?

My guess is the same vehicle they used to tow that thing to the track... I obviously don't know what's cool though. Carry on...

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    What's with the header pipe so close to the brake system? You should re-do that header pipe, even if it means loosing 3 horsepower and a couple hundred bucks.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1983 320i
    i am lil worried about boiling my brakes, there is another heat sheild i haven't put on yet. i just started the swap the beginning of sept. and have done everything myself in my garage (except cut drive shaft down, had someone else do it for liability). if it was a 1/2" wider it would not have fit. got pretty lucky.

and i hope my info is right, i'm under the ASSumption that i have a 3sge blacktop - again from wikipidea

In 1998, the fifth version of the 3S-GE was released, found only in the Japanese-delivered Altezza RS200. The 'Black Top' as it came to be referred to as, was fitted with a dual VVT-i system that adjusted timing on both intake and exhaust camshafts and came in two different spec levels dependent on which transmission it was coupled to.
    The MT version that came equipped with the J160 6-speed manual transmission featured larger diameter titanium intake valves measuring 35mm, larger exhaust valves measuring 29.5mm also made from titanium, a larger 33mm bucket and a compression ratio of 11.5:1. It made 210 PS (154 kW; 207 hp) at 7,600 rpm and 22.0 kg·m (216 N·m) at 6,400 rpm.
    Compared to the MT version, the 5-speed AT version came equipped with the A650E Tiptronic automatic transmission and had a lower compression ratio of 11.1:1, a less aggressive cam profile, smaller steel-alloy valves and smaller 31mm buckets. This engine made 200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) at 7,000 rpm and 22.0 kg·m (216 N·m) at a considerably lower 4,800 rpm. Externally, the AT model can be identified by differences in the wiring loom and the lack of an acoustic blanket on the intake plenum.
    Last edited by kilian22; 12-12-2014 at 12:21 PM.

My Cars
    82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    What's with the header pipe so close to the brake system? You should re-do that header pipe, even if it means loosing 3 horsepower and a couple hundred bucks.
    because warm brake fluid travels faster !
    It does seem very close tho ... in all seriousness, I know it does sound bad a first glance, heat next to an oil system that doesn't normally get warmed up seems not normal, but what could/would actually be bad about it ?

Google knows. As usual, the story is that all the cool stuff never made it to the states.

From Wikipedia:

Fifth Generation "Black Top"
    The fifth-generation 4A-GE engine produced from 1995 to 1998 is the final version of the 4A-GE engine and has black cam covers. It uses Toyota Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system on the intake cam. This engine is commonly known as the "black top" due to the color of the valve cover, and yet again features an even higher compression ratio (11:1). The air flow sensor is replaced with a MAP sensor, the diameter of the four individual throttle bodies was increased from 42 mm to 45 mm, the exhaust port diameter was increased, the intake cam lift was increased from 7.9 mm to 8.2 mm and the intake ports were significantly improved in shape, contour and also the width at opening at the head was increased. Additionally, the black top had a lighter flywheel, a larger plenum, lighter connecting rods and revised rubber velocity stacks, and was also offered in 1997 with a six-speed C160 transaxle. This revision increased the power to 165 PS (121 kW) at 7,800 rpm with 16.5 kg·m (162 N·m) of torque at 5,600 rpm. The 'Blacktop' has become a favorite among enthusiasts and is used as an easy power upgrade for the early Toyota Corolla models, especially for use in the drift scene. Due to the relatively high state of tuning of the stock motor, most power/torque gains come from higher lift cams and engine management.
    Applications:

- - - Updated - - -

@1:24
    Chase vehicle has no trouble keeping up. In fact seems to be being held up a bit. What did they use?

My guess is the same vehicle they used to tow that thing to the track... I obviously don't know what's cool though. Carry on...
    I didn't bother googling haha, but thanks ... and you're right, why did we never get anything awesome in north america ! ?

as for the chase vehicle being able to keep up, it's not a matter of trying to get away, I guarantee you that if the e30 was going in straight line he wouldn't keep up, but that's not the point there. he's sideways , spinning and controling his drift ...

for example, at 4:27 of this video, seems like the chase car could be anything, yet the car being chased has 850hp, 760ft/lbs.

it's a matter of having fun, and beat on your car, and destroy tires !
    I highly suggest everyone to watch this video ... atleast the beginning of it, they explain it better then I can :

I come from the eastern part of canada, lots of snow and nice roads, and growing up my parents always had RWD or AWD vehicles, I learned to drive on those, and everytime there would be a snow storm we'd all go out to the school parking lot and practice drifting and sliding around. it's not too hard on your vehicle to drift in the snow cause it's so slippery and does it on itself basically, you just have to learn to control the car with steering and throttle. basically ANY rwd cars can drift on snow, but not all are powerful enough to drift on dry pavement. and since I've started driving I've always wanted to have a car powerful enough to drift on pavement with ease !

My mom has one, a 1999 pontiac Firehawk ... automatic ... and I was never allowed to drive it ... except the few odd times when I convinced her I would't do anything stupid with it, or when she wasn't home I'd take it out for a spin. the thing makes about 350hp, I got it sideways a few times but didn't want to burn out her good tires. good thing it's an automatic, because if it was manual and I was able to drop the clutch I don't know if I would of been so easy on her tires haha.

so I can blame this on my mom for wanting to drop a v8 in my bmw ! I just want mine to feel even more powerfull then hers, that's why the 400hp goal, with a car weighting less and a manual transmission. I'll have plenty of fun.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    I have to say that we have had a lot of fun in two E21's with 90 hp at the wheels and 115 hp at the wheels. If it can not be controlled HP is not fun just costly, making an E21 handle that power and safe so you do not kill yourself should set you back about 5 to 8k. The money just flows like water - trust me I know. The big thing when I was young was to put 454s in 63-65 Novas. If you got them to hook up you popped out the front and rear windows, bent the roofs and stopping was not going to happen. Unless you changed everything out and basically tube chassis-ed the car.

My DD from the mid 90's and it only had 350 hp or so.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    M42 swap, turbo imminent

I watched it and it confirmed all of my assumptions about drifting. Specifically that it's a bunch of skateboard/extreme sports types hooning and butchering/destroying a lot of perfectly good sports cars. Like skateboard and extreme sports it's something that you should go out and do with your friends to have fun. Once they start organizing events, scoring participants and the corporate sponsors come in, it becomes a "lifestyle" and a marketing tool to convince young people to spend every dime they have on stuff they don't need. But maybe I'm just a jaded old guy... Damn kids! They don't know a thing!

-- although I did like the soundtrack for the first half of the film (stooges, metallica, dfa1979) and some of the footage in the Chicago part was filmed at USAIR in Shawano, WI where I ran my first autocross this past summer.

- - - Updated - - -

corporate sponsors
    ^^^ "NOS Energy Drink presents:"

NOS is "produced by the The Coca-Cola Company under its Energy Brands/Glacéau subsidiary, and licensed by Holley Performance, which owns the trademark."

just saying...

Last edited by HipMF; 12-12-2014 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    82 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I have to say that we have had a lot of fun in two E21's with 90 hp at the wheels and 115 hp at the wheels. If it can not be controlled HP is not fun just costly, making an E21 handle that power and safe so you do not kill yourself should set you back about 5 to 8k. The money just flows like water - trust me I know. The big thing when I was young was to put 454s in 63-65 Novas. If you got them to hook up you popped out the front and rear windows, bent the roofs and stopping was not going to happen. Unless you changed everything out and basically tube chassis-ed the car.

My DD from the mid 90's and it only had 350 hp or so.

I have to agree AND disagree with you on this ... I agree that : YES fun can be had with a 90hp car ... hell I even had fun with a mk1 jetta 1.6 NA diesel which made 63mph and 26 second on the quarter mile ! we put it in just to see how slow it would be, everyone chipped in and everyone tried it down the strip ... it was so consistant, I should of entered the bracket racing, I would of definately won ... but I felt like it was cheating and not fair for those guys that spent so much money in their 10 seconds car.

I can compare this to Motorcycle. I've had so many different types of motorcycle and yes, you can have fun on all of them, from a 50cc to a 1000cc ... it's just a different type of fun. we were racing little kids bikes on a gokart track, honda 50cc chinese replica kind of thing ... we had them ranging from 50cc to 160cc, I had the least powerful bike and I had to slow down for the more powerful bikes in the corners, but in the straight away they would fly past me, I'd pass them back cornering, I just had to push way harder. you'd have to have that thing full throttle at all time !

the best bike I've had was a 2007 kxf 450 , made 50 wheel horsepower for about 200 pound bike, 400 with me on it ... 1 hp for 8lbs, that thing was retarded, at top speed you'd let go of the gas and punch it again and it would stand up ... trail riding i'd be on idle basically and no one could keep up with me, I loved it cause it was so powerful that you didn't need to have it full throttle all the time, I'd be faster then anyone just cruizing, and when I really wanted a rush I'd open it, my body could only physically hold on to the thing at full throttle for a few minutes, I had to stop because of arm pumps that made me unable to hold onto the bike no more. No matter what you wanted to do you had the power on tap to do it and an extreme adrenaline rush to go with it. there was no hill that I couldn't go up... the biggest restriction was me, not the bike.

I guess I'm looking for the same type of feeling in a car, it's all about throttle control... if you're doing something that you only need 150hp, then you only push 1/3 of the throttle. but when you want or need 450hp you can floor it and hold on for your life !

I love acceleration, I love beating on things, and I love having more power then you need so that you never feel bored driving it. I love to be scared of putting it wide open throttle, the rush it gives you is just insane.

there's no such thing as uncontrolled HP, you are the control operator, you decide how much throttle you give, how much power you are using.
    and I know it will set me back a few k's to get it to handle that power and make it safe so I don't die, but I'm willing to go that route.

I watched it and it confirmed all of my assumptions about drifting. Specifically that it's a bunch of skateboard/extreme sports types hooning and butchering/destroying a lot of perfectly good sports cars. Like skateboard and extreme sports it's something that you should go out and do with your friends to have fun. Once they start organizing events, scoring participants and the corporate sponsors come in, it becomes a "lifestyle" and a marketing tool to convince young people to spend every dime they have on stuff they don't need. But maybe I'm just a jaded old guy... Damn kids! They don't know a thing!

-- although I did like the soundtrack for the first half of the film (stooges, metallica, dfa1979) and some of the footage in the Chicago part was filmed at USAIR in Shawano, WI where I ran my first autocross this past summer.
    I can agree with this, it's not for everyone, just like skateboarding is not for everyone either. but the rest is your opinion, I don't think they are destroying bunch of perfectly good sports car, I think they made em for the purpose of drifting and it does it incredibly well after all the mods they've done, and that the risk of drifting is that you can get hit or hit someone in the door, or hit a wall, which is the same exact risk of any other motorsports on a closed circuit. you build an awesome race machine and can have it destroyed in seconds, it's just how it is.

My Cars
    1983 320i
    I can agree with this, it's not for everyone, just like skateboarding is not for everyone either. but the rest is your opinion, I don't think they are destroying bunch of perfectly good sports car, I think they made em for the purpose of drifting and it does it incredibly well after all the mods they've done, and that the risk of drifting is that you can get hit or hit someone in the door, or hit a wall, which is the same exact risk of any other motorsports on a closed circuit. you build an awesome race machine and can have it destroyed in seconds, it's just how it is.[/QUOTE]

well said, even if you don't like it you have to appreciate that they are into cars that go fast! and thats fun! i don't care how old or young you are. my dad does drag week with hot rod magazine every year and its just awesome what those drag cars are capable of. i just personally much funner to go left and right sometimes.
    and no matter what cars always give us something to talk about.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Sorry was not meaning control hp by driver, was thinking along the lines of hp that the car structure can not handle, strength of drive line mounting points and chassis integrity. Along the lines of you will need to stitch weld all the unibody joints as most of the spot welds are on their way to being gone do to age. Things like this, or your joy of 8v driving will not last long. IMO.

And I do understand the fun bikes can be - had a street legal 1970 360 Bultaco in 1970 - 42hp 195lbs fully wet and I weighed in at 160. I could wax a new 70 440 6 pac roadrunner no problem. But the frame was built to do that from the factory.

Just saying to do it right so you can truly enjoy it, you will spend - spend and spend lots of time and $$.

I am looking forward to the finished project!
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 12-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    82 320i
    Sorry was not meaning control hp by driver, was thinking along the lines of hp that the car structure can not handle, strength of drive line mounting points and chassis integrity. Along the lines of you will need to stitch weld all the unibody joints as most of the spot welds are on their way to being gone do to age. Things like this, or your joy of 8v driving will not last long. IMO.

And I do understand the fun bikes can be - had a street legal 1970 360 Bultaco in 1970 - 42hp 195lbs fully wet and I weighed in at 160. I could wax a new 70 440 6 pac roadrunner no problem. But the frame was built to do that from the factory.

Just saying to do it right so you can truly enjoy it, you will spend - spend and spend lots of time and $$.

I am looking forward to the finished project!
    oh definately, the car would auto-destruct and twist into a ball of metal or just completely fall appart if I just threw in a v8 in there. Seam welding was already in my plans, I had done this before in the engine bay of my 1982 vw caddy vr6 to help keep it together and to smooth it out at the same time.

I also want to build a proper roll cage to solidify everything, I have a few place I'm looking into to get some ideas including your threads. It's a no deadline project so I know it will take time and lots of it ... I got pretty much the whole drivetrain figured out, now I need to prep the body, cage it, and make sure everything will hold together.

the JAAS Performance 1000hp e21 is very inspirational too :

I started today to take it appart. slowly

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Ok sounds good, it is just in the last few years their have been a few big "talkers" on the forum so guess I was poken to see your back ground.. LOL

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteDorFrank View Post
    because warm brake fluid travels faster !
    It does seem very close tho ... in all seriousness, I know it does sound bad a first glance, heat next to an oil system that doesn't normally get warmed up seems not normal, but what could/would actually be bad about it ?
    Well, there's a plastic fluid reservoir and rubber seals right there
    May just loose the brakes and/or just start a fire under the hood
    Tbd

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Ok find this E21 drift car build - good read if you have not seen it yet. I am thinking you are starting with the wrong E21 - you need to find a non runner to start with.

My Cars
    82 320i
    Ok find this E21 drift car build - good read if you have not seen it yet. I am thinking you are starting with the wrong E21 - you need to find a non runner to start with.
    Nice, I had not seen that one before ... I'll give it a good read.
    yeah it might seem like I'm starting with the wrong e21 but , it's a rust free shell, it's clean, and I will save tons of time because of that... and also, all the interior pieces that are in it right now have been poorly made, and are ugly so they'd need to come out (door cards, headliner, carpet) the engine won't start, and I don't feel like playing with it to make it start.... it's something most likely very stupid, as it wasn't running, I parked it for a year, then it fired right up, I went inside, called insurance company to put the car back on the road, went back out and it never started again ... I tried a few things but gave up.

all the good parts I have from this one will be going into my grirlfriends car, I started on that yesterday, and will continue today, atleast hers still has the k-jet and it starts good, haha ... maybe later on if I feel like it I'll swap my engine into her car and keep all her k-jet stuff. IF I feel like it.

so if you boil it down, my car is a "non runner" with "no interior" and a very clean shell ... few dents here and there but I'm sure I'll be adding more.

My Cars
    81 BMW e21, 98 VW gti vr

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Love this times one million

My Cars
    82 320i
    the last few days I've been taking my car appart and dressing up the girlfriends car. her car had the 80kmh death wobble ... I remember reading somewhere how to fix this but I can't remember the actual fix. Anyways I replaced the whole front end with mine basically

vented front disc, brembo calipers (the ones that were on hers didn't say brembo on them so I'm assuming mine were upgraded?), steel braided line to connect to the caliper, eurometric bushings, new bearings.

(P.S. I also put the stock springs back on instead of my cut H&R ones, I know a few that will be happy :P haha)

now I have a question, I've only worked on 3 e21's and they all had rear sway bars. did they all came with one ? cause I was reading on how to remove the gas tanks and no one mentioned that the sway bar would be in the way and need removing ? I had to take it off to remove the tanks.

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    only 77's and 80-83 "is" got a factory rear sway, but all model years were built to accomadate one.

you can literally drop the tanks with the sway bar fitted, I've done it more then once, but there's no way in hell to put them back in with the bar in place.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast