Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Best match for touching up bmw wheels- paint code 144, titanium silver 354, Wurth, or

My Cars
    1995 bmw 525i

Best match for touching up bmw wheels- paint code 144, titanium silver 354, Wurth, or

something else? I have read that Wurth is difficult to get a smooth finish and I am confused about the two BMW codes that seem to be recommended. I have used Wurth before to paint the whole wheel before on an e28 and did have a difficult time getting the paint smooth. Now, I have a small repair that it would be better to just touch up. It is too big to use a brush on paint, but small enough that I plan to use an airbrush to fix the area. Anybody know the best paint option to accomplish this? Thanks!

This is a style 71 wheel with the factory finish and it is on the wheel center, not the lip.
    Last edited by darren1284; 11-28-2014 at 09:30 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I use a Ford color, 341 "Silver Frost".
    It is available in rattle cans, Dupli-Color, etc. at most big box auto parts stores for a few $.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 bmw 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    It is available in rattle cans, Dupli-Color, etc. at most big box auto parts stores for a few $.
    How good of a match is it? I am not so concerned with spending $20-30 for a match that will be invisible, but I am also smart enough to not spend more if I can get as good of a result. I am after the best result.

My Cars
    '87 e24
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Does it have a heavy amount of metallic flake? I've been looking for a factory-look/BBS color silver...harder to find than it thought.
    Big flakes, fine flakes, too much flake, wow...I just need a nice, clean, simple silver.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemueekmu View Post
    Does it have a heavy amount of metallic flake? I've been looking for a factory-look/BBS color silver...harder to find than it thought.
    Big flakes, fine flakes, too much flake, wow...I just need a nice, clean, simple silver.
    I think it quite satisfactory. It is easy enough to wipe it off with some thinner if you do not like it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 bmw 525i
    Thanks for the suggestion. Ford Silver Frost is pretty much an exact match in color and metal flake consistency. The duplicolor lays down very smooth. The area that I touched up is all but invisible. I would never waste my money on Wurth again- so difficult to get a decent finish with!

My Cars
    1986 BMw 635 CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by darren1284 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Ford Silver Frost is pretty much an exact match in color and metal flake consistency. The duplicolor lays down very smooth. The area that I touched up is all but invisible. I would never waste my money on Wurth again- so difficult to get a decent finish with!
    I've just finished trying a few Dupli Color paints to match the plastic caps for the BBS wheels I am restoring.

I tried the ford "Silver Frost" as mentioned above. It was an OK match but not perfect, just slightly cooler tone than the original colour. I got a near perfect match with both "magnetic Silver" (DST57) and "Quicksilver" (DSH89). These matched nearly perfectly, being a bit warmer in tone than the Silver Frost.

I also tired "Daewoo Silver" - was a touch warmer/darker than the original.

...but I guess a lot will depend on the condition of the individual wheels, and fading of paint etc. But the above two may be worth a try if you do not want to spend the 30 bucks on the Wurth paint.

My Cars
    BMW 2009 Z4
    I am going to repair some curb rash on one of my wheels on my 2009 Z4 3.0. But I cannot find the paint code for the BMW Star Spoke 290 wheels. Seems there is not much information on the actual color code of the wheels. The wheels on the car are original equipment, so I'm look at a confusion factor. I've Googled the wheels and got a confusion of paint colors. Thanks.