Thread: ICV delete

My Cars
    1991 325i, S/C 97 540i6

ICV delete

I'm curious if many of you guys have done an ICV delete. Before I did mine, I researched and did not find much info. What I did find was mostly negative...engine will run terrible, hunting idle, etc. So...naturally I had to do it.

I did this on my s50 e30 btw. I liked the idea of an ICV delete because I like to keep it as minimalist as possible...more room in engine bay but more importantly less opportunity for vacuum leaks.

What I read before attempting: idle screw needs to be opened to allow more airflow without icv. TPS needs to be rotated to correspond to throttle plate adjustment (so DME sees throttle as completely closed).

What I found after the delete: the throttle plate BARELY needs to be opened...maybe 1 turn of the idle screw. I did rotate my TPS (punched out metal collars to give some play)... This caused a TPS sensor code so I put it back to stock location which solved the problem.

Since the delete, the car idles low (about 5-600 rpm) for about 30 seconds after I start it. The idle does not "hunt". When warm idles about 7-900 rpm. The TPS delete did not cause any CEL or code.

Keep in mind, my car has no power steering and no AC...so there is minimal accessory load on the engine. This is a factor and those normal loads are why the ICV exists from the factory. Without those accessory deletes, an ICV delete might not be very good. Also, being obd1, the computer might be a little less sensitive to the change (and unplugged connector) compared to obd2 cars....but that's just my speculation. Also, this mod is not ideal for a winter driven car (mine is summer only).

i feel like this would be good for boosted cars especially...less opportunity for boost leaks.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my findings after doing this since there seems to not be much info out there about it. Bimmerforums has helped me a lot with my car so it's my chance to pitch in. Those simple modification worked for me...I'm glad I did it and I'm going to keep it.

My Cars
    93 325is
    interesting. What is the motivation for the delete? Seems to me the ICV is value added engineering.

My Cars
    1991 325i, S/C 97 540i6
    The icv is a good thing to have on a year-round daily driver which has AC and power steering. The icv keeps idle consistent when those accessories add load to the engine.

The downside is that it adds complexity...just one more thing to fail and complicate troubleshooting. They get gummed up and sticky and the connections are possible vac leaks.

This is something that is ok to do if you want to simplify the engine bay. If you have deleted the AC and powers steering loads on the engine and don't drive in very cold weather, you won't really notice a difference.

When my elec aux fan kicks on, my rpm drops about 50rpm, which doesn't really bother me.
    Last edited by TDIpower; 11-26-2014 at 09:42 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i
    I'm going to bump this old thread.
    I'm also interested in an ICV delete on an M52 TU.

I have no power steering, no AC, and my inlet manifold has to go as it doesn't fit in my setup so I'm going for ITBs (custom manifold with RB26 45mm ITBs).

Never done this before, so I assume I will do the following:

ICV delete (Seems straightforward on the ECU for an MS43 (https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43), but I have an MS42 and I don't know if the procedure is the same or not
    DISA delete (no idea how hard this will be)

My final query is what to do with the inlet passages. Note the little holes in image below. I assume these are for the ICV inlet? I also assume that as long as my manifold blanks these off they won't cause an issue.

Capture.JPG

Would be great to get some hands on experience and feedback with the above issues.

My Cars
    Maybe you could pm the op and ask him to come back to this thread. I doubt he reads the forum these days.