Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Programing Transponder (The key part that starts the car)

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

DIY: Programing Transponder (The key part that starts the car)

Hello all. Many of us have run it to the issue of having only 1 key for our car. And as we all know purchasing another has it's challenges. Being a Chronic DIYer I found the idea of programming my own keys interesting. And I've successfully programmed and even cut my own key. In fact I've program several transponders. And as is my style, I thought I'd share what I've learned. Might need some editing but if I don't thow this out there now it might never get done.

But first there are many misconceptions about the keys. It amazes me how much miss information is out there. Here is an attempt to shed some light on the subject.

There are two different electrical parts of the key. The part that remote locks and unlocks the doors and the part that enables the car to start. They are independent and, this is important, are NOT programmed at the same time or in the same way. There are lots of posts on how to pair the door locking part to a car. And this makes some believe this will make the car start. It will not. And one can program the key to start the car without programming it to unlock the car. In fact the key could not have the remote unlock part all together. The part that allows the car to start is a transponder. This is the part I will talk about. How to program the remote lock part has been covered in length. And it only takes a couple min to do. The transponder part is entirely different matter.

Myths about the Key transponder and EWS (the part that starts the car)

• It can not be programmed - not true
    • It can only be programmed by the dealer - most dealers don't offer this (maybe none do)
    • Only the factory in Germany can program them - not true. It just requires special equipment.
    • The car must be coded or programmed to accept the key - this is for the door unlock portion. Not the transponder, start the car portion.
    • Once the key is programmed it can't be changed - not true. The key is written to by the car every time it is used. And with a transponder programmer the complete key can be rewritten
    • Someone could program a key to my car without having the car. - Yes but ONLY if they have the data from the EWS. Which the factory does. And must guard for sure.
    • There can only be 10 keys for my car ever. - Not true. The factory can only make 10 keys without changing the program in the ews. Saturday I deleted then added back a new key 1 ( I never had key one, I only have key 5). To be clear. Up to 10 total keys can be made without altering the ews at all.
    • if I loose sync with my key to the car I have to order new keys. - Not true. The key can be reprogrammed just like a blank key. But not many people know how
    • If the battery goes dead in my key it won't start the car - Not true. Transponders do not use a battery at all.

Things you may not have known about the keys.

The transponder has an EEPROM in it and stores:

• The vin number
    • Mileage at last use
    • Fixed password
    • Rolling code (random password)
    • Key number

New (programmed) keys come with the vin and fixed password programmed. The ews assigns the first rolling code at first use and marks that key slot in it brain as used. The EWS will only provide that key with the next rolling code next time if the KEY supplies the correct rolling code. The ews also updates the mileage in the key. The EWS provides updated mileage and rolling code each time the key is validated (put ion and turned on and passwords are correct.

If one were to duplicate the data in the transponder (have a locksmith make a duplicate of the key) the next time either key was used he key used would get a new rolling code and the other key would cease to work. If you want 2 working keys the duplicate must be coded as a different key in an unused slot and contain the fixed password unique to that slot in that cars ews. Which one can get from reading the ews or having bmw make you a key.

We are DIYers so we don't want to go to BMW, so how do you and I get the info from the ews. It appears this information requires removing the ews from the car to get. One wouldn't want it too easy to get to or it reduces its effect as a theft deterrent. After removing the ews from the car the EEPROM can be read using different methods. For our purpose a key programmer is the most useful. Since that is what we want to do.

These instructions are pretty useful:http://ncs-expert.com/e46-key-programming-ak90-guide
    A few things I would change or add to these instructions.

Unless you are deleting keys from slots you only need to READ the ews. There is no need to write to the EWS (if you use an unused slot). If you keep the ews data. You can write another key to another unused slot without removing the ews (like the factory does). I did this the otherday once my key cutter came. I made an entirely new key without connecting to the car at all. Since I had the EWS data stored on my PC.

If you are timid, read the ews. Write the key to a unused slot. Be on your way.

If you are bold. Read the ews. Delete all used keys that you don't physically have.

Perhaps Later I'll write up more on how to cut the actual key. I've learned a bit about that as well. I want to try a few more things before I write up what I learned.

Thaniel
    Last edited by Thaniel; 11-25-2014 at 08:22 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328i & 2006 Mazda 6
    Thatīs just great info, thanks for sharing! Luckily I have all 4 keys for my car
    But I have one question - if programming new key, you have to select correct EWS chip type. Without removing EWS, how to you know correct type?

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Have you actually found a way to re-virginise the rfid chips in the keys?
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marek555 View Post
    Thatīs just great info, thanks for sharing! Luckily I have all 4 keys for my car
    But I have one question - if programming new key, you have to select correct EWS chip type. Without removing EWS, how to you know correct type?
    For the DIYer the ews has to be removed once to read the data from i, the chip type can be seen then. But I expect all e46 will have the same. Of the two I've tried that has been the case. I'll let you know after I read a few more. Will read my brothers car this weekend.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by legoman67 View Post
    Have you actually found a way to re-virginise the rfid chips in the keys?
    not entirely sure what you mean virginise. Kay's are either blank or programmed to a specific car. They aren't like the Other modules that adapt to the car.

but following the instructions in the link will make a key that will be coded just like one bought from the bmw dealer. And the process can be repeated on the same key many times. Or in other words you can program a old key to a new slot. Or even to another car. Yes I have tested this.
    Last edited by Thaniel; 11-26-2014 at 05:35 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328i & 2006 Mazda 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    For the DIYer the ews has to be removed once to read the data from i, the chip type can be seen then. But I expect all e46 will have the same. Of the two I've tried that has been the case. I'll let you know after I read a few more. Will read my brothers car this weekend.
    With PA Soft, I think it is possible read EWS data and save it as bin file. Question is, can AK90 program read from this file information correctly and program key. Maybe you can try this out?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marek555 View Post
    With PA Soft, I think it is possible read EWS data and save it as bin file. Question is, can AK90 program read from this file information correctly and program key. Maybe you can try this out?
    You and I think alike. Thought if that could be done then it'd save having to remove the EWS. While it is not a difficult task it is another task.

But I did read with the PA soft and it doesn't read out the entire module. It gets some of the information But not the fixed or random passcodes. The fixed passcodes are needed for writing a key for an unused slot.

Might be able to get more out by jumpering some pins on the EWS. But if one is that far then might as well remove it and read it with the key programmer. It is quite easy once the EWS is out.

Not sure I mentioned in post one. But to clean off the EEprom pins I just use some fine emery paper. Takes like 2 min to do.

Thaniel

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Pulled the EWS from my brothers zhp over thanks giving and it was also the OD46J. I'm guessing all E46's have that one. So far I've had a 2001 330I and a 2005 330xi and a 330zhp (for get the year) and they were all the same. The AK 90 is desinged to read EWS modules from V2 to V4 so their mention of other chip versions might have to do with that. Regardless it is easy to read off the top of the chip with the EWS out. And getting it out take about 10 min or less.

Thaniel

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6

Got the key cutting thing worked out. Just cut 3 keys and they all work. The trick in getting this key cutter to work with the bmw key is to put them in backwards, as in the pic, and shim them up 1mm. This way the reference edge of the key is clamped against the reference edge on the cutter. Clamping on the cast edge of the key results in uh... Non working keys. Guess how I know :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    After cutting several successful keys for 2 different cars, one for a third car didn't work. It has far fewer miles so the ignition switch is probably more sensitive. (Key worked fine in the door). Got out my calipers and compared the new and old key. It now appears to me the reference or datum edge is the edge cut on the same side as the key profile. Hi revised how to hold the key in the cutter. See attached pictures.

now I'm not sure that it was designed to be used this way. So I cleaned up the mating surface on the bottom and left using the machines own cutter. The. Cut another key blank. This one worked perfect.

who knew the hardest part of making the key was the actual cutting of the profile.

thaniel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    Thanks for your Post. Last year, I made a duplicate E46 key by : (1) Buying a blank key for $40 from eKeyfobs.com; (2) I programmed the fob myself to lock and unlock the doors; (3) Paid a locksmith $25 to cut the key; (4) Paid the same locksmith another $80 to program the key with the anti-theft code.

I asked the locksmith how he programmed the key and he stated he accessed my 2001 BMW 330i's computer with a special program to get my BMW to recognize the transponder in the blank key. I always wondered how he did it and then I read your post.

I am glad that I paid him to do it since it sounded complicated. In any case, I did not have to get the BMW dealer to do it and I ended up paying about $150 for my new key. I do want to comment that not many locksmiths can do this. The mom and pop locksmiths can't do it but a large business locksmith can. (i.e. about 4 or more employees with the owner being the one with this expertise.)
    Last edited by vchan2177; 01-25-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: left out a word

My Cars
    00 328i,97 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
    Thanks for your Post. Last year, I made a duplicate E46 key by : (1) Buying a blank key for $40 from eKeyfobs.com; (2) I programmed the fob myself to lock and unlock the doors; (3) Paid a locksmith $25 to cut the key; (4) Paid the same locksmith another $80 to program the key with the anti-theft code.

I asked the locksmith how he programmed the key and he stated he accessed my 2001 BMW 330i's computer with a special program to get my BMW to recognize the transponder in the blank key. I always wondered how he did it and then I read your post.

I am glad that I paid him to do it since it sounded complicated. In any case, I did not have to get the BMW dealer to do it and I ended up paying about $150 for my new key. I do want to comment that not many locksmiths can do this. The mom and pop locksmiths can't do it but a large business locksmith can. (i.e. about 4 or more employees with the owner being the one with this expertise.)
    im in sac can you shot me the name and # of these guys

- - - Updated - - -

http://ncs-expert.com/e46-key-programming-ak90-guide im having problems with this link it keeps saying acount suspended any body else have this problem?
    did any body save the info in this link if you did can you send it to me?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Looks like the link is live again. Was going to offer to make another step by step but since that one's back up may as well use it.

Saturday I coded and cut a key for a friend. Went perfect the first time. Think I've got the bugs worked out :-) Maybe I'll have to post my services on craigslist

Thaniel

My Cars
    2002 BMW 320d

Hello dear.

Hello dear.

First of all thanks for the post, clear and nice.
    I hope you have an idea why I always getting back writing error after write a key! I managed to read the ews out and saved bin file too.
    I tried to write an used key, key testing option was fine, but after writing I got back error message. I hoped it's just the key... I bought an another used key and repeat the process with no luck, same error messages back after writing. In this time i just opened the saved bin file.
    Please help me if you have any idea why it is.
    Thank you!
    Joe

Hello all. Many of us have run it to the issue of having only 1 key for our car. And as we all know purchasing another has it's challenges. Being a Chronic DIYer I found the idea of programming my own keys interesting. And I've successfully programmed and even cut my own key. In fact I've program several transponders. And as is my style, I thought I'd share what I've learned. Might need some editing but if I don't thow this out there now it might never get done.

But first there are many misconceptions about the keys. It amazes me how much miss information is out there. Here is an attempt to shed some light on the subject.

There are two different electrical parts of the key. The part that remote locks and unlocks the doors and the part that enables the car to start. They are independent and, this is important, are NOT programmed at the same time or in the same way. There are lots of posts on how to pair the door locking part to a car. And this makes some believe this will make the car start. It will not. And one can program the key to start the car without programming it to unlock the car. In fact the key could not have the remote unlock part all together. The part that allows the car to start is a transponder. This is the part I will talk about. How to program the remote lock part has been covered in length. And it only takes a couple min to do. The transponder part is entirely different matter.

• It can only be programmed by the dealer - most dealers don't offer this (maybe none do)
    • Only the factory in Germany can program them - not true. It just requires special equipment.
    • The car must be coded or programmed to accept the key - this is for the door unlock portion. Not the transponder, start the car portion.
    • Once the key is programmed it can't be changed - not true. The key is written to by the car every time it is used. And with a transponder programmer the complete key can be rewritten
    • Someone could program a key to my car without having the car. - Yes but ONLY if they have the data from the EWS. Which the factory does. And must guard for sure.
    • There can only be 10 keys for my car ever. - Not true. The factory can only make 10 keys without changing the program in the ews. Saturday I deleted then added back a new key 1 ( I never had key one, I only have key 5). To be clear. Up to 10 total keys can be made without altering the ews at all.
    • if I loose sync with my key to the car I have to order new keys. - Not true. The key can be reprogrammed just like a blank key. But not many people know how
    • If the battery goes dead in my key it won't start the car - Not true. Transponders do not use a battery at all.

• The vin number
    • Mileage at last use
    • Fixed password
    • Key number

New (programmed) keys come with the vin and fixed password programmed. The ews assigns the first rolling code at first use and marks that key slot in it brain as used. The EWS will only provide that key with the next rolling code next time if the KEY supplies the correct rolling code. The ews also updates the mileage in the key. The EWS provides updated mileage and rolling code each time the key is validated (put ion and turned on and passwords are correct.

If one were to duplicate the data in the transponder (have a locksmith make a duplicate of the key) the next time either key was used he key used would get a new rolling code and the other key would cease to work. If you want 2 working keys the duplicate must be coded as a different key in an unused slot and contain the fixed password unique to that slot in that cars ews. Which one can get from reading the ews or having bmw make you a key.

We are DIYers so we don't want to go to BMW, so how do you and I get the info from the ews. It appears this information requires removing the ews from the car to get. One wouldn't want it too easy to get to or it reduces its effect as a theft deterrent. After removing the ews from the car the EEPROM can be read using different methods. For our purpose a key programmer is the most useful. Since that is what we want to do.

These instructions are pretty useful:http://ncs-expert.com/e46-key-programming-ak90-guide

Unless you are deleting keys from slots you only need to READ the ews. There is no need to write to the EWS (if you use an unused slot). If you keep the ews data. You can write another key to another unused slot without removing the ews (like the factory does). I did this the otherday once my key cutter came. I made an entirely new key without connecting to the car at all. Since I had the EWS data stored on my PC.

If you are bold. Read the ews. Delete all used keys that you don't physically have.

Perhaps Later I'll write up more on how to cut the actual key. I've learned a bit about that as well. I want to try a few more things before I write up what I learned.

Thaniel

My Cars
    2002 BMW 320d

Hello dear.

Hello dear.

I hope you have an idea why I always getting back writing error after write a key! I managed to read the ews out and saved bin file too.
    I tried to write an used key, key testing option was fine, but after writing I got back error message. I hoped it's just the key... I bought an another used key and repeat the process with no luck, same error messages back after writing. In this time i just opened the saved bin file.
    Thank you!
    Joe

• The vin number
    • Mileage at last use
    • Fixed password
    • Key number

Thaniel

My Cars
    1997 540i
    I have Pa soft 1.4 , i went in and looked and it says my key is key5. how can i make it key1 instead?? Can someone please explain.
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetyseven1 View Post
    I have Pa soft 1.4 , i went in and looked and it says my key is key5. how can i make it key1 instead?? Can someone please explain.
    You need a key programmer to make a new key. PA soft can't do it.

But to make a key 1. it is essentially:
    1. Clear the key 1 data in the EWS. This will require writing the EWS. Which I do with the Key reader (see first post in this thread)
    2. Read the EWS and write the new unused Key 1 data to a new key. (same as making one for any unused slot)
    3. Put it in the car and turn it to on and it'll update the key and EWS slot 1. (Same as would making one for any unused slot)

Thaniel

My Cars
    Bmw Z3
    Great write up thanks.

I have a bmw z3 with version 3.D EWS. I have bought a new AK90 and 10 new transponder chips. I have just one key, being key number 1 according to the AK90. I’ve not read the EWS yet.

I want to make two more keys.

Am I correct in thinking if I assign the new keys to the next 2 unused slots the AK90 will not write to the EWS at all?

Am I also correct in thinking I could “delete” used key slots (I expect slots 2 and 3 will be used) and then use the AK90 to create new transponders for those slots? And this method WOULD write to the EWS?

Which method would be best given a new owner (who would not know what slots have been used) might order new keys new keys from bmw?

What has confused me is words like “deleting” (or clearing) used key slots whereas reading between the lines the “basic” data related to each slot is never deleted, only the “temporary” (maybe rolling code?) data, and when the temporary data is “cleared” and a new key then made for that slot, the EWS will know to “initialise” the new key on first use.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwipom View Post
    Great write up thanks.

I have a bmw z3 with version 3.D EWS. I have bought a new AK90 and 10 new transponder chips. I have just one key, being key number 1 according to the AK90. I’ve not read the EWS yet.

I want to make two more keys.

Am I correct in thinking if I assign the new keys to the next 2 unused slots the AK90 will not write to the EWS at all?

Am I also correct in thinking I could “delete” used key slots (I expect slots 2 and 3 will be used) and then use the AK90 to create new transponders for those slots? And this method WOULD write to the EWS?

Which method would be best given a new owner (who would not know what slots have been used) might order new keys new keys from bmw?

What has confused me is words like “deleting” (or clearing) used key slots whereas reading between the lines the “basic” data related to each slot is never deleted, only the “temporary” (maybe rolling code?) data, and when the temporary data is “cleared” and a new key then made for that slot, the EWS will know to “initialise” the new key on first use.
    My experience in this is, I bought a used e46 with an aftermarket key. No factory key fob. For Christmas, I thought I'd upgrade to an actual key fob with remote function. I spoke with someone I know from the dealership and ordered the next key in line on the EWS using my VIN. Little did I know, that the aftermarket key took up the key number 4 slot.

Skip to today, I have two key no. 4s. Both keys are identical in coding but only the aftermarket key works because it's in sync with the random code that's reproduced every time it's used.

This happened because I didn't know anything about how an EWS is used when coding keys or that the aftermarket key could take up the slot of another, yet to be made key. For me, I either have to get a new transponder for the factory key that I ordered, recode the current transponder to another slot, or order ANOTHER key from the dealership (key no.5) and it'll work.

To answer your question on what would be the best method if you intend on giving the car to someone who has no idea the key isn't coded by the dealership, I would personally start at key no. 10 and work your way down. BMW codes in a linear fashion, like they did to my key. SO if you code to 10, and BMW's last produced key was no. 4, then they will code a key to match the fixed code and vin for no. 5, hence making all keys work, until they get to key no. 10 (because they don't know that key no. 10 already has been issued a random code).

And to elaborate more on "deleting" used key slots. I think it means that AK90 wipes all data from there ever being a key sync'd to said key slot. For example, if you wipe key no. 1, the rolling code will be reset and ready to be administered to a new key, mileage, and whatever other info that's specific to the prior key will be wiped, if any. The no. 1 slot in the EWS will still have it's fixed code, the vin, etc. So when AK90 writes or overwrites onto a transponder, it's just pasting the fixed code, vin, and current mileage so that it matches the EWS. Then the EWS recognizes the key has all the info and gives it a rolling code; making that key the only key to work with the no. 1 slot's info.

The mix up comes when the dealership doesn't know that the key slot has already been coded by another entity and they code the next key with all the info already in use. The key matches, but it's won't have the correct rolling code, hence not unlocking the starter and getting a "42 [066] Wrong changing code, key 1" error in the EWS module.

Here is an example of what the EWS reads when my factory key no. 4 (the one with the wrong random code) is put in, instead of the aftermarket key no. 4 (the one with the correct random code).

https://imgur.com/a/N2T0Tme

I know it's a late reply but I hope this helps understand it better (and hope I explained it correctly lol)

My Cars
    E38,E39
    Hey Thaniel anytime I get the key recoded on my e39 it wipes it do you know why ?

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRight View Post
    Hey Thaniel anytime I get the key recoded on my e39 it wipes it do you know why ?
    Sorry I don’t follow. What do you mean recoded? You programmed the key using an AK90?

My Cars
    1998 BMW e36 3281

Make duplicate without reading EWS

I have 2 questions... Let me preface this by saying I have a 2007 BMW X3 with EWS4. So first, if I have a key that works to start the car, but the remote internals are damaged, can I literally clone it to a new key so I can throw away the old one without reading the EWS? I understand once the clone is used it would make the old one useless due to the rolling code. If possible I can just read the transponder of the existing key and duplicate it to the new one and throw away the old one. Second, after I have read the EWS once and save it to a .Bin file can I make more keys in the future and assign them to unused slots without needing to reread or write the EWS module?

Thanks,
    William

Quote Originally Posted by Joelondon76 View Post
    Hello dear.

Thank you!
    Joe

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by wsteelenyc View Post
    I have 2 questions... Let me preface this by saying I have a 2007 BMW X3 with EWS4. So first, if I have a key that works to start the car, but the remote internals are damaged, can I literally clone it to a new key so I can throw away the old one without reading the EWS? I understand once the clone is used it would make the old one useless due to the rolling code. If possible I can just read the transponder of the existing key and duplicate it to the new one and throw away the old one. Second, after I have read the EWS once and save it to a .Bin file can I make more keys in the future and assign them to unused slots without needing to reread or write the EWS module?

Thanks,
    William
    Let me give a little insight to your situation

>I have a 2007 BMW X3 with EWS4
    I don't believe an AK90 can read or write these keys. I have a 2006 325i and have not yet been able to make keys for it. There is hardware out there that will but it is much more expensive.

>can I literally clone it to a new key
    I've never cloned a key. Suppose it could be done with the right hardware.

>once the clone is used it would make the old one useless due to the rolling code.
    Correct.

> If possible I can just read the transponder of the existing key and duplicate it to the new one and throw away the old one.
    I would try to just move the transponder from the one key to the other. In the aftermarket keys they are 2 different pieces. IN the OEM ones it might be attached but perhaps it can be removed easily. But with the right equipment all things are possible. but the AK90 isn't likely to do it for this version of the key.

>after I have read the EWS once and save it to a .Bin file can I make more keys in the future and assign them to unused slots without needing to reread or write the EWS module?
    That's the way the old EWS works. I read it once then could make keys for all the remaining slots from the data I had. Stored the EWS data on my drive and if ever needed it I could write another key for another empty slot. EWS4 might be different but i doubt it. This is how BMW can make a key for you. They look up the data for your car and load a key with the initial code and when you put this new key in the car the EWS says "hey that's the initialization code for key slot 5 (or whatever slot). I'll set up this key for that slot and use it" (writes a rolling code to it and starts from there). But beware if you write a key with the inital slot 5 code and use it. Then BMW gives you a key with the initialization code for slot 5. The second key won't work. Slot 5 is now on a rolling code and that code won't work. Likewise if the EWS is cleared of all keys and "virginized" BMW the initialization codes will be different and BMW can't make any keys for it without physically reading the EWS (which they may or may not do). If making new keys I'd suggest starting with slot 10 as BMW tends to just take the next slot on the list. Reducing the odds of a later owner getting a Dealer key for a slot already used.

Thaniel

My Cars
    bmwz3 2.8
    can anyone advise on this... i have a Z3 2.8 1998 with an ews2 in it software 02 hardware 02 2d47j mcu.... this is what is written on the white ews box..

anyway i have successfully read the mcu with the ak90 programmer. the vin number on the ews differs from the cars actual vin and the ak90 reports that it is an ews3... so maybe at some stage the ews got changed with a scrap . donor ews3 maybe...

anyway i only have one working key for this car this shows as key number 7 on my ak90... when i run ews analyse keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10 have tick next to them showing used, and key 7 and 8 have no tick next to used.... bear in mind key 7 is the key i am using with the car and works fine so if i program a new one with my ak90 and virgin pcf79 transponder should i use an old used slot or the only available unused slot key no 8...? or does it make no difference ?

is there any other procedure i need to do when testing the key in the car i dont want to have to reset the ews dme data as i dont have the tools to do that

please advise...

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpussbmw View Post
    can anyone advise on this... i have a Z3 2.8 1998 with an ews2 in it software 02 hardware 02 2d47j mcu.... this is what is written on the white ews box..

anyway i have successfully read the mcu with the ak90 programmer. the vin number on the ews differs from the cars actual vin and the ak90 reports that it is an ews3... so maybe at some stage the ews got changed with a scrap . donor ews3 maybe...

anyway i only have one working key for this car this shows as key number 7 on my ak90... when i run ews analyse keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10 have tick next to them showing used, and key 7 and 8 have no tick next to used.... bear in mind key 7 is the key i am using with the car and works fine so if i program a new one with my ak90 and virgin pcf79 transponder should i use an old used slot or the only available unused slot key no 8...? or does it make no difference ?

is there any other procedure i need to do when testing the key in the car i dont want to have to reset the ews dme data as i dont have the tools to do that

please advise...
    If you don't want to Write to the EWS you can read it. Program the new key to key number 8 (or 9 or 10). Put everything back together. Put the key in the car and start it. Done

To use an old slot you have to write to the EWS to clear it. This is possible and has more risk of failure. I've done it no problems though and cleared all keys and rewrote all new slots in an EWS. But if you only want to add a key I'd just read the EWS. Write the next open slot to the key and be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast