Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY: Programing Transponder (The key part that starts the car)

My Cars
    bmwz3 2.8
    i tried writing to a new slot and to a used slot and none of them started the car...from my ews bin file....

my previous key number 7 still works ok

the only thing i noticed was that the old key key no.7 when read with the ak90 in test key button on the ak90 software shows as ews2 with no vin..

when I write a new key or used key it always shows up as ews 3 and shows a vin number why should that be....? and the vin numbert is not the same as what is the cars real vin number so i suspect at some stage someone has changed the ews for maybe an ews3 unit... but why would the key no7 still show as a ews2 and still starts the car fine....

strange....

My Cars
    2003 BMW 320ci
    I got the same problem as u Bagpussbmw, while reading the EWS all keys are used and its shows another vin number as the actuall car. Though when reading my working key its the correct vin. See my post here ans look at the pictures https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30285321

Let me know if u managed to solve it! *

Also, i cannot write to EWS, just getting a Write error.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpussbmw View Post
    i tried writing to a new slot and to a used slot and none of them started the car...from my ews bin file....

my previous key number 7 still works ok

the only thing i noticed was that the old key key no.7 when read with the ak90 in test key button on the ak90 software shows as ews2 with no vin..

when I write a new key or used key it always shows up as ews 3 and shows a vin number why should that be....? and the vin numbert is not the same as what is the cars real vin number so i suspect at some stage someone has changed the ews for maybe an ews3 unit... but why would the key no7 still show as a ews2 and still starts the car fine....

strange....

My Cars
    e39
    Guys let's talk about does size actually matter)) I mean in all videos and instructions we see people writing new key to unused slot, but is it a better way? My logic conflict when I see writing new key to unused slot, but then not writing the data back to EWS, so why choose the unused slot, if EWS won't care, I won't care, who cares (except dealers), why not use used slot?

Well after some research, I came to conclusion that it's better to USED slot to aftermarket key unless you don't have or use the same key physically, and it seems that EWS assigns only key ID and password and rolling code to the new blank key, but not the mileage, BMW dealership would never know the actual mileage of your car without having your EWS out. The reason they will assign new key unused slot is that they are not able to physically read the last rolling code of used key which is in EWS now, but they have the first rolling code for unused key to match it with first key use. But since we have our EWS we can read the last rolling code even of a used key and assign it to blank one, so that would be the first code for the virgin key, and at first use they will match. This way we can make endless number of keys with just one slot, but won't be able to use them randomly one after another (simply we can't use 2 keys with the same key number, but we can copy the same key as many times as we want, then it's up to which one you use first, the other one will lose the rolling code), the first key in will be the working key. And this means we can use up to 10 different keys physically but can always duplicate a broken one, and we will have to remove EWS each time you want to use a used slot. The number of keys you can make without taking out the EWS would be limited to the number of unused slots remain, after using slot once, you won't be able to use the same slot without taking EWS out, but with taking it out you can make as many keys as you want. And I don't think EWS recognizes an unused slot as used after first use, this data is written by manufacturer to EWS depending on how many keys were pre- or ordered, and the used/unused info is only for dealership awareness, so that they know which slot to use for new key, used or unused slot matters only when you don't have EWS, and the rolling code would it be for used slot or unused is always ONE and always first for the blank key, the only difference the dealership would exactly know the ONE stored (factory precoded) in unused slot, and won't know the ONE in used slot. Actually in situation where you bought your BMW with lets say 3 keys, but never used key number 3, the rolling code would be the same as in dealership and in dealership this key will be marked as used, and they will not write to new key slot marked as used since dealers won't know whether you have used that key or not. Used means the key was physically manufactured and handed over to the owner. Used is only a label for reference for dealers to make new key. So I don't see any point in using ONLY unused slot when writing new key, moreover with using a used slot you will never have a problem if next owner orders the OEM key from dealer, and there won't be a key number conflict. Make as many keys as you can with used/unused slots, I bet that EWS data won't change when hit analyze EWS, since we don't write EWS. And there is actually no point in writing anything to EWS. The dealer would never know if you made new key with unused slot, and your EWS would never know they marked an unused slot as used in case they made new key, but that info will remain on their PC somewhere in Germany for their future reference, and that data wont be updated in your EWS, unless the EWS is not online with BMW Headquarters)) So there is no need to start with unused slot 10 to avoid future conflict, simply use a USED slot and make as many keys as you want. Used/unused matters only for dealers and only as info, it will never change in your EWS unless you don't write so, and it has nothing to screw up in your EWS since you only read EWS, your are not modifying it, nobody actually does, whether you make your own key or dealers make it, used/unused slots will remain the same in your EWS as written at factory. Is this conclusion correct or only a theory?
    Last edited by alberttm; 08-29-2019 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 318is
    So what would be the recommendation for a 2000 540 that the only key lost sync with the ews3?

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Hello Thaniel,

Excellent initial post, very interesting and informative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    >I have a 2007 BMW X3 with EWS4
    I don't believe an AK90 can read or write these keys. I have a 2006 325i and have not yet been able to make keys for it. There is hardware out there that will but it is much more expensive.
    You're right about the AK90. They are often advertised by Chinese clone sellers as being able to work on CAS, CAS2, CAS3 and CAS3+, but I've not found them to be any use. To work with the Freescale HC12, MC9S12 and MC9S12X MCUs, I've found the Rosfar R260S to be the best. The Chinese clones are fairly well reverse engineered and reasonably cheap.

If you, or any other members, are interested in the CAS systems, I'd be happy to get involved in a discussion. I've been doing quite a lot of work with the CAS family of modules, ISN's (Individual Security Numbers), ISK's (Individual Cryptographic Security Password Keys), SK (Secret Key Servers/Clients), EWS protocols (including SOPT and SOPT+) and Philips PCF7936AS (ID46) Hi-Tag 2 transponders. I'm using a USB controlled PCF7936 emulation key for my research, which is proving much more user-friendly and cost-effective, than constantly buying more transponders!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    EDIT:
    The issue was that the chip was too far away from the Keyring. I moved the chip closer to the key within the Key FOB

Hoping someone can help with my issue.

I have two factory keys with the same rolling code and an aftermarket PCF that I cannot get the same rolling code with the AK90 after programming.
    If you compare photos 1/2 to 3, you'll notice the the rolling code for the factory keys ar FF FF FF ... while the 3rd aftermarket key is 55 55 55 ....

So the 3rd key would only work if I use the factory keys to start the car and use the 3rd key right after shutting down the car. If I pull the aftermarket key out and try to start it again, it won't work. I have to repeat the process of using the factory key and then using the aftermarket key.

What's the procedure to get all 3 keys to match?

What I've tried so far:
    - Wrote aftermarket key to slot 10
    - Wrote the EWS key slot to Unused for all keys. Afterwards started the car with all keys in succession. But again, the aftermarket 3rd key would not start the car after one start
    Surprisingly, after using the keys, I pulled the EWS and saw that the keys USED slots were ticked (photo 4)

Inked1_LI.jpg
    Inked2_LI.jpg
    Inked3_LI.jpg
    Inked4_LI.jpg
    5.PNG

Video of what's going on.

Last edited by phamine; 04-13-2022 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Update

My Cars
    2005 e53 x5
    i have a unprogrammed ews key. i have managed to make it work remotly but if i try it in the door it will only lock the door not unlock it. does it need to be coded first? also it wont turn in the ingn. i ask this before i go back to the locksmith.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12