Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Grant318is Dakar M3/2/5 Restoration Thread

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Looks good. I got my BSW speakers last week after the wait also. I haven't tackled that project yet. Looks like a fun project tho. On the tweeters, can you see the chrome housing easily? I was thinking id have to black them out.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
    Looks good. I got my BSW speakers last week after the wait also. I haven't tackled that project yet. Looks like a fun project tho. On the tweeters, can you see the chrome housing easily? I was thinking id have to black them out.
    Nope. I'll shoot a pic or two. I'm happy with mine. They are about at the level of factoy speakers on a new car. Nothing special, but the only true plug and play option for cars this age.

When you put the door speakers back in, don't tighten the rings much. I firmed mine up and after a week they all cracked. I did them barely hand tight. Back to ebay for new ones

My Cars
    95 m3, 3L S4
    so are the speakers worth the money?

also i would love to see these seats and door inserts on a black carpet black dash and panels that would be the ultimate in my opinion
    Last edited by 600whp S4; 02-28-2015 at 12:09 AM.
    "Lamborghini, the tractor maker, wanted to figure out why his Ferrari's clutch kept crapping out (PITA, cost a lot of money). He complained to Ferrari, and Enzo didn't do anything. Lamborghini discovered it was the same, much cheaper clutch used in his tractors. The rest is history..."

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe (Euro)
    Loving this thread, essentially trying to do the same thing with my M3.

I also just received my BSW speakers. Keen to read you write up on them. What speakers did you have before replacing? I just have the standard speakers, not the Hi-Fi ones so hoping they make a bit of a difference.
    1999 Euro ///M3 - S50B32

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Loving the subtle upgrades here and there. Any more plans for the interior? Wheels?
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by 600whp S4 View Post
    so are the speakers worth the money?
    For me, yes. I paid around 450 and there really isn't a similar option out there. If you have the typical blown speaker 17 year old car, it makes a 100% difference. Install is a breeze. Sound quality is similar to my DSP M5. Nothing special, but perfect for listening to the radio which is all I care about. I would never install a aftermarket stereo or ill fitting speakers in a car like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Compactive View Post
    Loving the subtle upgrades here and there. Any more plans for the interior? Wheels?
    Right now I am deciding on what to do with the interior. I could do several things. I know I want a Euro 3 Spoke steering wheel. I am not 100% happy with the door cards yet, but I will figure it out. As for wheels, I have several options available at this point. I was planning on going big, but I don't know if I really want to put a ton of money into a set right now or just keep it closer to stock. At a minimum, I plan on refinishing the contours. Buying new LTWs is also an idea. I really miss my mint polished set that I had a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Das1391 View Post
    Loving this thread, essentially trying to do the same thing with my M3.

I also just received my BSW speakers. Keen to read you write up on them. What speakers did you have before replacing? I just have the standard speakers, not the Hi-Fi ones so hoping they make a bit of a difference.
    I'm happy with them. My car is also a HiFi car. My speakers were blown and my HU had issues. I first upgraded to a CD43 which fixed some of the issues and gave me better radio reception, but didn't fix the blown speakers. After everything, it is a night and day difference. The only thing I would say is that if you are looking for some kind of aftermarket system with an amp and speakers, the sound quality will be better. I have no desire to rewire the car or put in an aftermarket HU.
    Last edited by Grant318is; 03-03-2015 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe (Euro)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant318is View Post
    Put on the coilovers. Check out the review here:

New fender liners too:

Where did you get your fender liners from? Looking to replace my old worn out ones as well.
    1999 Euro ///M3 - S50B32

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Got them from the dealer...

My Cars
    08 135i 6, 96 M3 2/5
    Wonderful car and thread!

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Haven't done much because I bought this:

2014 883 Iron

My Cars
    95 m3, 3L S4
    Ok I'm going to order these speakers i hate non OEM stuff. unless its truly a hassle free upgrade or performance upgrade. Speakers that fit like oem will work for me. I wish i could get some brand new in the box HK speakers oh well
    "Lamborghini, the tractor maker, wanted to figure out why his Ferrari's clutch kept crapping out (PITA, cost a lot of money). He complained to Ferrari, and Enzo didn't do anything. Lamborghini discovered it was the same, much cheaper clutch used in his tractors. The rest is history..."

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318 limo
    Had a day off today, decided to tackle some of the big stuff:

Pulled all the door panels:

Removed the fabric:

Cleaning in progress:

Laid out to dry:

FedEx also showed up with some goodies:

Do you have a DIY for the removing and mounting back of the material from the door panels?I am interested to do the same process and don't know how to start.By the way...awesome car.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Fantastic work ITT! Bet you're enjoying the bike!

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    m1
    I was just looking at that car on ebay the other day haha, nice buy!
    Last edited by cvhjhj; 04-12-2015 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '02 C5 Z06, '09 LS3 C6
    Very nice car for sure. Definitely a keeper.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    Subscribed and inspiring!

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I will echo everyone else... Nice work so far!

My Cars
    1994 M3 Eurospec (25/45)
    Wow, that paint may be better than mine - very nice work - would love to see it on LTWs though. Good call on the ambers - also can tell you first hand that French fogs look great on Dakar (or the OEM ones + laminx)

1994 M3 Eurospec (Canadian Edition) #25 (http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=12244)

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Btw. Reach out to Shepott for your steering wheel. I just got one and was Very pleased with the result. He doesnt do thumb rests if that matters, but he will thicken the wheel. Pm me for details.

- - - Updated - - -

Also shift kit and zhp knob make a big difference. I'm happy with my understeer kit.
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    m1
    Very nice car. I like the wheels even though they are pretty big. I am super jealous of the no-sag glove box.
    Last edited by njhgr; 04-19-2015 at 12:38 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.0
    Love the Dakar yellow!
    Great work on the restore too!

Please share details on how you polished the instrument cluster plastic?

My Cars
    1991 318is
    I really like meguiars plastix on a DA buffer. Clean it good and go to town!

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.0
    I really like meguiars plastix on a DA buffer. Clean it good and go to town!
    Thanks Grant, though it does sound a bit aggressive!

My Cars
    E36 M3 + 2010 XT
    any tips for spoiler installation, particularly connecting the wiring harness and drilling holes?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast