Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    Suck
    Adam, you seriously deliver the milk when it comes to threads. I stayed glued to the last one, glad to see you made a lot of progress for this one, but I think this thread needs a few more pictures in it.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
    You are the man Adam.
    I am "a" man. :P

I should learn how to write that in Farsi...

Quote Originally Posted by autowa View Post
    Incredible build and attention to detail. That's sick man. One question though. Arnt you a little paranoid of some idiot pushing the external fire suppression button while your parked in a parking lot not around the car or is it ignition/key on linked?
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    That may not be the case, but he does have an arming button which I'm sure would have to be "armed" to allow a discharge to be activated by that button.
    My own kid would do exactly that; already a consideration.

There is a switching network to not only arm the fire system, but I can arm/disarm the external switches for both fire and cut-off as well. (At both the front and back of the car) I'll post the diagram of it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    I always wondered when you were going to make a build thread over here, Adam.

The only reason I log onto E46F was to checkup on this build.
    I haven't posted on e46F since 2010.

Bravo!!!
    I realized for the most part, I was a "troll" on this forum the past few years. I figured it was time to show I don't live behind a keyboard....

Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    ive noticed this with my setup, the lower duty cycles will result in a drip. the only thing i found that helped was to reduce the size of the nozzle opening, but then you are limiting your overall flow rate.

i think your right about the solenoid closest to the nozzle will be your most effective setup.

loving it so far. keep it up

i would use proper punctuation but my shift buttons dont work, lmao
    I figured something was up with perfect sentence structure, but no caps..

Quote Originally Posted by Binjammin View Post
    Adam, you seriously deliver the milk when it comes to threads. I stayed glued to the last one, glad to see you made a lot of progress for this one, but I think this thread needs a few more pictures in it.
    Thanks

As I said on the first page, this is a "cliffs notes" version covering 4 years of progress. There are lots of photos of the details, you just have to ask for them specifically.

On a funny side note, my son saw the Motec screen on the dash and tried to turn it on by dragging his finger around on it. I had to explain that it wasn't an iPad. LOL

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Amazing build, love all the pictures. I have really enjoyed following this on e46f over the past few years.
    Do you plan to reinforce the rear subframe/run a LSD?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    Amazing build, love all the pictures. I have really enjoyed following this on e46f over the past few years.
    Do you plan to reinforce the rear subframe/run a LSD?
    Both are done.

There is a picture on the first page of the custom diff. It started out in the 330Ci, but I kept breaking output shafts, so we found a different solution, backed off the locking rate, and lowered the gear ratio. It now has 60/80 asymmetrical ramps locking up 8 clutch disks, solid output shafts, and a 3.62 ratio. (I had a 4.10 before) Dan doesn't list this thing on his website, because most people won't pay the $5k build price.

Both the front and rear subframes have been re-enforced (Plates added), and coated with POR15. On the rear, it has billet aluminum bushings for the differential, and the 4 chassis mounting points are also billet aluminum pieces. Then as you can see in pictures on the first page, the whole back of the car has been re-structured and re-enforced.

There are only 2 things left in the entire drivetrain that haven't been changed/modified:

- Driveshaft
    - Flexplate

While it's a 2001 model year, most of the guts of the car are brand new. Even then, it was driven in California up until 2007, then it's been mostly parked inside a garage since then. (Either in Cali or in Canada) The body/chassis is pretty mint.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Great build. I have been following it over on Apex speed. Glad to see it here.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2002 BMW Streetcarver,
    Absolutely amazing. Are you referring to travellers f40 lm on fchat?

My Cars
    e30
    Adam, great build. I love your threads!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Great build. I have been following it over on Apex speed. Glad to see it here.
    Thanks. The focus here will be a bit different than there; you'll see pictures of a few different things.

Quote Originally Posted by 87shark View Post
    Absolutely amazing. Are you referring to travellers f40 lm on fchat?
    Yes, I was referring to Tim's car.

My Cars
    Bmw e46 325i
    this is crazy, but respect for actually going through with this project great dedication. I want to see/ hear how this beast runs now =]

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Thanks, I enjoy your input on many threads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rpoliah View Post
    this is crazy, but respect for actually going through with this project great dedication. I want to see/ hear how this beast runs now =]
    I suspect crazy is the right word for actually going through with it.

Looking at my schedule for the next bit, I'll probably have 1 week in January, and 2 weeks in March I can make progress with it. Not sure it will be ready to run in the spring....

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I enjoy your input on many threads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rpoliah View Post
    I suspect crazy is the right word for actually going through with it.

Looking at my schedule for the next bit, I'll probably have 1 week in January, and 2 weeks in March I can make progress with it. Not sure it will be ready to run in the spring....

My Cars
    2001 330i
    The last pieces of the custom PFC brake upgrade arrived:

Brake hat spacer installed:

Centering ring for the brake hat installed:

Brake system installed:

Custom 12mm wheel spacers to clear the giant PFC callipers with high offset wheel types:

Doing more wiring:

Labeling stuff:

And we have power:

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    I was just day dreaming about this car like yesterday. Glad i saw this update. Sick work.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    Unknown
    I would hate to think of the price tag that comes with such a build. This is ingenious.

Well done.

My Cars
    1998 M3 AA St 2
    Words cannot explain the respect I have for this build. I had followed and had great interest in your last project and this one is a whole other level as mentioned. Perhaps the best build thread I have ever read in my years on the forums. Simply due to its details and organization and of course the project is amazing. Look forward to seeing video of this thing in action and everything operating.

360+rwhp

My Cars
    BMWs
    nice

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2014 wrx
    wow this build is incredible. I cannot wait to see the final outcome. I'm actually very interested in seeing how much weight all that has added.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    I was just day dreaming about this car like yesterday. Glad i saw this update. Sick work.
    Thanks

I day-dream about it too...

Quote Originally Posted by jaychen View Post
    I would hate to think of the price tag that comes with such a build. This is ingenious.

Well done.
    It has cost a lot more than I would like to admit to, and has consumed a considerable amount of my free time. As long as I continue to learn and challenge myself though, it is all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AA98M3 View Post
    Words cannot explain the respect I have for this build. I had followed and had great interest in your last project and this one is a whole other level as mentioned. Perhaps the best build thread I have ever read in my years on the forums. Simply due to its details and organization and of course the project is amazing. Look forward to seeing video of this thing in action and everything operating.
    I think the video content is going to be just as much fun to create as some features on the car. I look forward to this as well....

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    nice
    Thanks. When is your project coming out of hibernation?

Quote Originally Posted by cjccww View Post
    wow this build is incredible. I cannot wait to see the final outcome. I'm actually very interested in seeing how much weight all that has added.
    Well...some things are lighter than OEM, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 100lbs added. Once my son is allowed to sit in the front seat, I'm probably going to start fairly drastic weight reduction measures.
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 01-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    My project... blah. I'll start doing something soon I guess. I have a ton of parts and engines to build and no time. Been doing all house schtuff.

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    As long as I continue to learn and challenge myself though, it is all worth it.
    Thats the attitude the winners have. Results are secondary to learning by trying something new and challengine yourself. My car projects have been one of the biggest boosts to my career because of this.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier

Thats the attitude the winners have. Results are secondary to learning by trying something new and challengine yourself. My car projects have been one of the biggest boosts to my career because of this.
    So modest

lol j/k man thats definately a good attitude
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by cdmbmw View Post
    So modest

lol j/k man thats definately a good attitude
    All I mean is I did the projects for fun and learned a bunch of things along the way. No end goal, just to learn and find out "what if." Eventually I got the ability to move into a position that was based on what I learned...which is awesome. Now I do experiments on engines all day.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    2001 330i
    All I mean is I did the projects for fun and learned a bunch of things along the way. No end goal, just to learn and find out "what if." Eventually I got the ability to move into a position that was based on what I learned...which is awesome. Now I do experiments on engines all day.
    Most people I know doing "interesting" work started by doing it for free.

Aspects of this hobby, and this car build specifically, have bled back into my professional life in a positive way. (I don't always see expenditure without a return, although usually not directly.) I think a lot of the confidence I enjoy professionally is from getting in over my head with my car projects, and sorting a way out...

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. Bravo!
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    09 135i;Turbo e36
    WOW. mad props, great build!

AZ 51 STEP GRAD.

My Cars
    1999 M3 S/C, 2001 525iA
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    As far as the skills go, I'm just curious and like to try things out. If there's something I want to learn, I try to get close to those that do it well. In the case of the 330Ci, I wanted to build the chassis to a certain level, so I went to work for free for a professional road racing team to learn. I would travel to races, or down to their shop, some times from other continents, all to take part in a professional program on my own dime so that I could learn. It was a good investment of time and $$ in my opinion. On the drag racing side, I spent a lot of time at the race track, and also got involved with a Pro-Mod program. On the electronics side, I have a number of people that have helped me tremendously, most notably Neel Vasavada who has brought me into his Motec M1 Development program.
    How did you get hooked up with the teams?

1999 M3
    2001 525iA

2007 F150 Sold
    1995 M3 Sold
    1987 528e Sold
    1985 325e Sold

Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast