Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    What exhaust size will be on this e46 ? 3" or larger ? Looking forward to seeing the data.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    If its on the car hog out the fire ring instead of the manifold . 1mm or notch it to mate with the divider.
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Agreed.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't touch the manifold, I'd just notch the fire ring (Valve seat for the WG).

Edit:

Talked to John about the CES Motor Mount so I can try fit my 4" intake onto the turbo. Between that an the WG pipe, those are the main hurdles to getting this thing back on the road. (And dyno)

The wiring is already in place for the 2 channels of exhaust manifold pressure, and the 6 EGT sensors will plug directly into the Racegrade TC8 that is already part of the electronics system.
    Good idea, I'm going to take it apart today and inspect it, it leaks at idle, I remember I tested the fire ring before installing the wastegate and it moved freely, puzzle to find out why it leaks
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Matutino View Post

Good idea, I'm going to take it apart today and inspect it, it leaks at idle, I remember I tested the fire ring before installing the wastegate and it moved freely, puzzle to find out why it leaks
    Turbo smart will drop right on. Tial will not. 1mm difference in inlet flange. That ring is hardened, so for those that want to run a Tial, get a carbide bit to hog it out. Or on a lathe.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    If its on the car hog out the fire ring instead of the manifold . 1mm or notch it to mate with the divider.
    Turbo smart will drop right on. Tial will not. 1mm difference in inlet flange. That ring is hardened, so for those that want to run a Tial, get a carbide bit to hog it out. Or on a lathe.
    Mine is turbo smart, fitment was spot on, that's why I find it odd for it to leak
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by herrubermensch View Post
    I have the same problem with the rubber boot on my M5. I like exhaust gases, so I just leave it be. Not really. I'll probably glue mine in place, too.

--Peter
    I'll let you know how Urethane works...

What exhaust size will be on this e46 ? 3" or larger ? Looking forward to seeing the data.
    3" from the turbo all the way to the back, with 1.75" WG pipe re-circulated.

I've got 3 mufflers from Magnaflow in that flow path (6" in front, 14" in middle, 24" in back) I went with different sizes to try hit a wider range of resonant frequencies.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I'll let you know how Urethane works...

3" from the turbo all the way to the back, with 1.75" WG pipe re-circulated.

I've got 3 mufflers from Magnaflow in that flow path (6" in front, 14" in middle, 24" in back) I went with different sizes to try hit a wider range of resonant frequencies.
    Thought about a Hermholtz resonator cavity as well to target specific frequencies? Kinda hard to do without a spectral analysis, but the cost to do that is pretty darn cheap these days (reasonable microphone, any laptop).

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Thought about a Hermholtz resonator cavity as well to target specific frequencies? Kinda hard to do without a spectral analysis, but the cost to do that is pretty darn cheap these days (reasonable microphone, any laptop).
    I actually have thought about that, and put an app on my Macbook called "Soundview" that lets you see spectrum distribution. If I really wanted to go nuts, I could dig out lab grade stuff at my Dads. (LMS) Looking to get the car up and running, then doing some sound analysis to see if there's anything sticking out.....

A couple of guys I know with HPF cars (E46 Turbo) were sick of the drone, and added a Helmholtz resonator to their exhausts with good effect.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Fourier is an FFT analyzer for iphone/pad. I have to say its pretty easy to at least remove unwanted sounds using ashrae calculations and the app. I havent experimented with it beyond removiing unwanteds but I did obliterate the crap that I wanted gone.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    ....from the black car in 2008:

I miss her...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    My Motec M1 ECU licence is being upgraded significantly again.

To understand how, a bit of background needs to be explained.

The Motec M1 platform gives the user a choice of 6 ECUs (Hardware), and pairs it with either a generic, or custom firmware package.(Software) You pay for the hardware and software to run it separately, but there is a fairly wide choice of firmware packages now versus when the ECU first was released in 2014. In addition to this, there is another piece of software available (M1 Build) that allows you to write your own firmware starting with a full featured Motec template. Then there are the logging options, which have levels of licensing that you can buy, followed by data analysis software called i2 which also has a basic and advanced version. ($$$)

The Options:

GPA Generic Package (Normal Functions)
    GPR Generic Package (Includes race car functions)
    Custom Packages for specific vehicles (Features locked by creator)
    M1 Build Licence (Unlimited feature authoring based on GPR Project)

Level 1 Logging - Basic fixed channels, and low logging rate. (1 - 10 Hz)
    Level 2 Logging - 200 Channels, including basic fixed channels, logging rate user selectable on individual channels up to 200 Hz.
    Level 3 Logging - 2000 Channels, logging rate user selectable on individual channels up to 1000 Hz.

i2 Standard Data Analysis - Basic Analysis and graphing software for up to 12 channels simultaneously. 1 Workbook.
    i2 Professional Data Analysis - Full featured analysis and graphing software for unlimited channels, and unlimited workbooks.

What I had:

M150 ECU
    M1 Build License
    Level 2 Logging

The new configuration:

M150 ECU
    M1 Build License
    Level 3 Logging
    i2 Pro Data Analysis

This will allow me to continuously log all kinds of channels of interest, instead of picking and choosing which ones I have room for on the log. Secondly, and most importantly, I will be able to do extremely detailed data analysis with the logs.

The Steed Speed Twinscroll is going to be one heck of a "lab" toy....

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    What's your plan for low boost ? Unless your running an EFR with dual gates, you may not be able to control it under 13#. This is factoring a 3" exhaust.
    With a 3.5 or 4" exhaust, that 13# becomes 23-28#.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 330i
    What's your plan for low boost ? Unless your running an EFR with dual gates, you may not be able to control it under 13#. This is factoring a 3" exhaust.
    With a 3.5 or 4" exhaust, that 13# becomes 23-28#.
    We'll see what it does with the 60mm turbine wheel, and go from there.

My Cars
    e30
    The level 2 logging was pretty good, but level 3 is crazy

Do you have the ability to output the data logs in a .csv or some other format? I usually write matlab scripts to look at what I want in the data...but having ready made software is the way to go
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    The level 2 logging was pretty good, but level 3 is crazy

Do you have the ability to output the data logs in a .csv or some other format? I usually write matlab scripts to look at what I want in the data...but having ready made software is the way to go
    You can output in .csv, but you don't need to. i2 Pro has extremely flexible maths channel functionality. Besides, with data analysis....you really don't know what to look for until you look at it. i2Pro lets you setup workbook/worksheet templates for any data input, so you have a baseline of view tables. From there, it's really up to your creativity....just like Matlab.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    The car is back together, and has 2 test drives under it's belt.

The transmission won't go into reverse. (Yes, I know where it is...and the shifter is setup to go there) When you push the selector up and left, it slots into "a gear" but it's 1st gear. 5th gear is fine.

No help from Google on this....any ideas anyone?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    The car is back together, and has 2 test drives under it's belt.

The transmission won't go into reverse. (Yes, I know where it is...and the shifter is setup to go there) When you push the selector up and left, it slots into "a gear" but it's 1st gear. 5th gear is fine.

No help from Google on this....any ideas anyone?
    You backed off the stop screw on the shifter ? Should be 2.5mm allen.

I also noticed with mine, the plate they provide is too small. Could be guiding it right into first. I think the hole in the base plate should be 1/2" bigger in diameter.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 06-09-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 530
    there are two compression springs with locking pins that secure the reverse and the fifth gear. they often fail. have you checked them?

parts 11,12,13,14
    http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...hifting_parts/

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by stefm5 View Post
    there are two compression springs with locking pins that secure the reverse and the fifth gear. they often fail. have you checked them?

parts 11,12,13,14
    Those fail and cause a shifter lean. The springs/pins are meant to bring the shaft back to neutral. Don't think it would cause it to not go into gear.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 530
    Those fail and cause a shifter lean. The springs/pins are meant to bring the shaft back to neutral. Don't think it would cause it to not go into gear.
    it happened to me. the locking pin of the reverse was loose and i couldn't engage the gear. i had to completely remove the spring and the pin to park the car. i have the 420g gearbox but operation is the same.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    To rule out the fancy shifter, you can disconnect the dssr , stick a screwdriver in the shift selector bushing and manually put it in reverse.

Is this a 5 or 6 speed ZF ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 330i
    You backed off the stop screw on the shifter ? Should be 2.5mm allen.

I also noticed with mine, the plate they provide is too small. Could be guiding it right into first. I think the hole in the base plate should be 1/2" bigger in diameter.
    Yes, I backed it off all the way so that the stop wasn't used at all just to make sure I had full travel.

Quote Originally Posted by stefm5 View Post

parts 11,12,13,14
    Thanks for the suggestion.

To rule out the fancy shifter, you can disconnect the dssr , stick a screwdriver in the shift selector bushing and manually put it in reverse.

Is this a 5 or 6 speed ZF ?
    It's the ZF 5 Speed (S5D 320Z)

My Cars
    2001 330i
    On a completely separate note, the Steed Speed Twinscroll is holding 10 PSI of boost on a 10 psi WG spring (Using an MVR). Spool isn't as quick as I was hoping, but I think this is probably a function of how I have the VANOS tuned and very conservative ignition timing. Once I have some time to sort through all the data, I'll post some graphs here.

The solid engine and transmission mounts make driving even 20 kph an event. It definitely feels like a race car....and the added noise being transmitted through the chassis makes the exhaust note difficult to hear. I honestly think it's louder inside the car than outside....and that's with full sound deadening in place.

I've also fully plumbed in and wired up the Water/Meth injection system. (I previously hadn't gotten to that) There's a dedicated flow control valve for pre-turbo injection, and a second flow control valve for manifold injection. This should make for some interesting control strategies.....

There's a test and tune session next Tuesday night that I might take the car out to make a few passes. We'll see how I get on with many other projects that need tidying up.....

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I pulled up the boot and stuck a flashlight in there.

The shifter is hitting the mounting plate, then as you move it forward, it follows the curve of the circle.

What's interesting is that I mounted the shifter so that in neutral, it sits dead center of the circle.

Either I pull the exhaust and driveshaft off to move the mounting plate (It's really a block off plate), and still might encounter the tunnel metal, or I take a grinder to the mounting plate and hog out the area needed for the reverse throw. Looking to do the latter....

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

I pulled up the boot and stuck a flashlight in there.

The shifter is hitting the mounting plate, then as you move it forward, it follows the curve of the circle.

What's interesting is that I mounted the shifter so that in neutral, it sits dead center of the circle.

Either I pull the exhaust and driveshaft off to move the mounting plate (It's really a block off plate), and still might encounter the tunnel metal, or I take a grinder to the mounting plate and hog out the area needed for the reverse throw. Looking to do the latter....
    This is exactly an issue I had. Personally I would open that base plate up with tin snips/dremel/whatever. It's too small IMO. Also hate to say it, but get rid of that boot too. Again, too small IMO. I almost had a couple mis shifts going into 5th and the shifter sliding into 3rd. So I must have been a hair the other way from where you are at. These shifters have zero clearance.
    Last edited by Butters Stoch; 06-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 330i
    This is exactly an issue I had. Personally I would open that base plate up with tin snips/dremel/whatever. It's too small IMO. Also hate to say it, but get rid of that boot too. Again, too small IMO. I almost had a couple mis shifts going into 5th and the shifter sliding into 3rd. So I must have been a hair the other way from where you are at. These shifters have zero clearance.
    It worked.

However, how much I had to open it up is a bit shocking.

I wouldn't call the mounting plate and rubber boot "bolt in". (I've cut off the boot...but I'am considering zip-tying the top of it back on to partially cover the hole in the transmission tunnel)

Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast