Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536373853 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    2001 330i
    On an E46 chassis, the Steed Speed twin scroll is a tight fit:

In the image above, I've had to remove the OEM heat treatment from the shock tower, and the A/C lines to install the Wastegate.

There is very little room to fit a WG pipe around the turbine housing and downpipe:

I'm going to have to run a 60 degree bend on the downpipe to clear the firewall:

Clearly, the exhaust is the next challenge on the install...I'm going to try to re-use what I have, by cutting and re-welding segments of pipe. The 4" inlet pipe to the turbo also does not clear the engine mount arm....so that will be next...

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Curious how the CAE compares to the AKG race shifter.
    The CAE is a MUCH more engineered product, with extremely high level of finish. For example, NOTHING is left un-anodized with the CAE shift system, and the AKG parts are left in a raw finish. There are also probably 30 individual pieces that make up the CAE shifter system, and only 7 for the AKG race shifter system.

Something really interesting you can do with the CAE shifter is install it at an angle to the driveline, so that the throws are more towards and away from your body, and the transmission will not "see" this. The shift knob also sits higher than the AKG one, sitting virtually at the side of my steering wheel, yet it doesn't have long travel. This is a achieved by moving the pivot point above the transmission tunnel sheetmetal, so that a longer arm is under the pivot point giving shorter throws. The CAE has a centering mechanism that helps locate the shifter into the 2-3 slot, but doesn't affect throw effort. (This can be adjusted to compensate for how you want to position the shifter) There are also adjustable shift stops for the 1-2 gate, 5 gate, and also Reverse gate. Lastly, there is a reverse lock-out mechanism that makes it impossible to miss-shift into reverse when downshifting from 2nd. The selector rod is fully adjustable, allowing you to place the shift knob within any point you want on the throw axis.
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 03-19-2017 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Lastly, there is a reverse lock-out mechanism that makes it impossible to miss-shift into reverse when downshifting from 2nd.
    Would this lockout also make it impossible to have difficulty getting from 3rd back into 2nd quickly in an autocross environment? I often struggle with this shift because of my tendency to pull a bit too hard to the left coming out of 3rd and catching the edge of the reverse gate instead of sliding into 2nd.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Would this lockout also make it impossible to have difficulty getting from 3rd back into 2nd quickly in an autocross environment? I often struggle with this shift because of my tendency to pull a bit too hard to the left coming out of 3rd and catching the edge of the reverse gate instead of sliding into 2nd.
    The centering mechanism would assist in this.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I'm torn about this CAE shifter. It surely allows you to bang gears, the 2-3 shift seems to be no issues. But on a street/drag car it doesn't seem right. 5th gear stop needs to be dialed in really precise or you can money shift into 3rd. I also think the base plate hole should be a bit bigger. But there are so many positives .
    That said, I don't think I wouldn't run one. But torn.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I'm torn about this CAE shifter. It surely allows you to bang gears, the 2-3 shift seems to be no issues. But on a street/drag car it doesn't seem right. 5th gear stop needs to be dialed in really precise or you can money shift into 3rd. I also think the base plate hole should be a bit bigger. But there are so many positives .
    That said, I don't think I wouldn't run one. But torn.
    Don't buy it.

Go drive someone's car that has it.

I really like this shifter, but at the moment I have a grand total of ZERO miles driving with it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Don't buy it.

Go drive someone's car that has it.

I really like this shifter, but at the moment I have a grand total of ZERO miles driving with it.
    He has one..

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post

He has one..
    Correct.

I'll be honest, I was struggling getting this car into the 10's , the 2-3 shift was killing me. So, I bought one, it did its job. On the 3rd run with the shifter I knocked a 10.80@137. I was totally stuck at 11.1-11.4. If your banging gears, there is no better shifter. But, in daily driving duties, IMO its not that desirable. Also, make sure that 5th gear stop screw is adjusted properly. As if its too tight it will put the shifter right into 3rd gear, but feel like your going into 5th.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    He has one..
    Obviously I didn't know this, and the way he wrote his comments, they could be interpreted either way.

Correct.

I'll be honest, I was struggling getting this car into the 10's , the 2-3 shift was killing me. So, I bought one, it did its job. On the 3rd run with the shifter I knocked a 10.80@137. I was totally stuck at 11.1-11.4. If your banging gears, there is no better shifter. But, in daily driving duties, IMO its not that desirable. Also, make sure that 5th gear stop screw is adjusted properly. As if its too tight it will put the shifter right into 3rd gear, but feel like your going into 5th.
    I had to set the stops up for everything. On the 330Ci, everyone who drove it had issues shifting from 2 -3. That was with fresh bushings, a UUC DSR, and SSK. Usually a missed shift from 2 - 3 ended with the 5th gear "bog". Shifting from 4 - 5 was a very deliberate action, which I missed regularly at the drag strip. The CAE feels much more accurate than my memory of the UUC product, and the shift from 4 - 5 is relatively effortless.

The rubber boot that came with mine doesn't stay seated against the facia plate. That's my only complaint to date; will probably use urethane to hold it in place.

The 330i is not aimed at being my DD, for that I have a Touareg TDI.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I agree with the rubber boot. In fact I discarded mine. The shifter is worlds better then the uuc or any shifter for that matter when it comes to speed shifting, hitting a number, or any type of racing. On the street (where mine is 99% of the time) its a little much. But I have kept it in there for the strip. I now have loads of confidence shifting 2-3. That's the killer shift that always slows me down.

My only complaint besides the rubber boot is I think the base plate could be hogged out a little. When installing you need to have it dead on. No room for error or you will hit the plate in either (R) or (5th). If that plate was 1/2" bigger in diameter, with a bigger boot this would be a breeze. Wouldn't effect a thing either.

Don't get me wrong, it's the best shifter on the market, by a long shot. But when you do drive the car on the street a lot, its a bit much. Take it away and your giving up precise shifts, and confidence but gaining comfort and being able to be a "lazy" driver.
    I can't bring myself to pull it, but hate it at times. Wouldn't want to hit the strip without it tho. That's for sure.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I really like my AKG shifter, but I have never tried a CAE or similar. The AKG is really nice for daily driving and racing, nice balance IMO.

My Cars
    97 328is 02 e46 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Curious how the CAE compares to the AKG race shifter.
    Greasy trucker compared to supermodel

My Cars
    e30
    Whats wrong with greasy truckers? He needs to pay for the shifter somehow...
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I think some of you are part of a community that I don't want to know about...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I think some of you are part of a community that I don't want to know about...
    The less you know.....

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    I can't believe the price of that CAE shifter. For that you guys could put that towards a better transmission.

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    I can't believe the price of that CAE shifter. For that you guys could put that towards a better transmission.
    It's no different from a good V-gate shifter for a drag racing transmission, or a sequential.

Some people choke on the price of Motec products as well, but lots of other people pay the premium with a smile.

My focus is on the driver experience....how you feel behind the wheel. If there is X product that makes that more enjoyable, I see value in it.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    This will be the last update with pictures for a little while.

I've cut up the old downpipe, clocked some sections, and moved others:

Installed:

The tacks you see are done with a MIG and stainless wire; this is the first time I've tried this.

The angle coming off of the turbine housing is steeper than it looks. I had to hog out a new 3" Vband ring to push the angle that I wanted. I haven't measured it, but it's probably in the area of 60 degrees.

The start of the WG pipe, which will be recirculated:

The plan for the rest of the WG pipe is to built it out down parallel with the downpipe. (With a flex tube section part way down) Then I'll use two 1.75" v-band sections from a Tial, to join to a 45 degree running back into the downpipe.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Anyone done an over-subframe charge pipe with the Steed Speed yet?

Thinking of re-doing everything connected to the compressor housing.

Changing the air inlet pipe to 3" will solve the motor mount interference issue with my current 4" piece.

Going over the subframe with the charge pipe would let me put back on the subframe brace, and possibly fit a proper front splitter to the car.

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    I'm running over subframe
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I

Fitting the Tial MVR:

I just found out mine is leaking at the wastegate and manifold, is going to be painful to work on it now that is installed in the car.
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Matutino View Post

I just found out mine is leaking at the wastegate and manifold, is going to be painful to work on it now that is installed in the car.
    If its on the car hog out the fire ring instead of the manifold . 1mm or notch it to mate with the divider.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2001 330i
    If its on the car hog out the fire ring instead of the manifold . 1mm or notch it to mate with the divider.
    Agreed.

If I were to do it again, I wouldn't touch the manifold, I'd just notch the fire ring (Valve seat for the WG).

Edit:

Talked to John about the CES Motor Mount so I can try fit my 4" intake onto the turbo. Between that an the WG pipe, those are the main hurdles to getting this thing back on the road. (And dyno)

The wiring is already in place for the 2 channels of exhaust manifold pressure, and the 6 EGT sensors will plug directly into the Racegrade TC8 that is already part of the electronics system.
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 04-08-2017 at 04:31 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Onward and upward! Watching with bated breath, my friend!

--Peter

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Obviously I didn't know this, and the way he wrote his comments, they could be interpreted either way.

I had to set the stops up for everything. On the 330Ci, everyone who drove it had issues shifting from 2 -3. That was with fresh bushings, a UUC DSR, and SSK. Usually a missed shift from 2 - 3 ended with the 5th gear "bog". Shifting from 4 - 5 was a very deliberate action, which I missed regularly at the drag strip. The CAE feels much more accurate than my memory of the UUC product, and the shift from 4 - 5 is relatively effortless.

The rubber boot that came with mine doesn't stay seated against the facia plate. That's my only complaint to date; will probably use urethane to hold it in place.

The 330i is not aimed at being my DD, for that I have a Touareg TDI.
    I have the same problem with the rubber boot on my M5. I like exhaust gases, so I just leave it be. Not really. I'll probably glue mine in place, too.

--Peter

Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536373853 ... LastLast