Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggernaut View Post
    You need a MoTeC system exhaust. It's not a bad way to spend ten thousand dollars.
    If they made a kitchen sink, I'd buy that too. Really nice products.

Other Motec related items I haven't listed:

Motec LTC
    Motec UTC
    Motec GPS
    Racegrade TC8

Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    Umm.. wow
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rowleym View Post
    I had to log on just to say that you are F*CKING BONKERS. This is awesome, and I dream of something like this. Dude could buy a Ferrari and he builds an awesome 330 auto for a street car. Like nothing I've seen before.
    My wife thinks I'm nuts as well....

Ferrari? That would be silly because I'd tear it apart too. The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is much higher on an old BMW sitting on jack-stands for 4 years, than a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speed300 View Post
    Can't believe there aren't more replies -- I've been reading threads in here for 8 years, this is maybe the coolest/most thorough build I've ever seen. So awesome to see all the little details. The amount of data you will have on that car is incredible!
    Thanks.

Ironically, the 330Ci I built from 2006 to 2009 had a much more innovative chassis and powertrain, but it didn't have the "bling" of this project.

Data: Across the M150, E888, C125, TC8, TCU, and PDM15 there are 130 inputs, and 80 outputs. I'll be using most of them....

Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Holy hell... that's a pretty epic build! Just my kinda thread too... lots of pictures, pretty ones at that.
    It's been fun so far, both the build and the photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Deagle View Post
    So that makes my ignition coils whiz bang motorsport parts as well.
    I get your point, but you would be received better by being a little less OTT.

Do you have any positive observations?

Quote Originally Posted by beeasy View Post
    Simply amazing. Thank you for sharing!
    You're welcome.

I've left the best part of this whole adventure for last:

I'm sharing it with my son.

My Cars
    a m3 on a 7675
    Bravo !!! Can't wait till i can do the same with mine.
    World record holder for a m52 stock bottom end.
    9.41@153 c4 auto 28" et streets, e34 3.64 gearset 900+hp
    E36 chassis irs world record holder 8.49@162
    Th400, e85, 7685, m50 intake 26.6 lbs of boost

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    That kid will be a genius. College will be a brease. He will getting paid for doing other college kids homework while slaying all the hunnies on the side.

- - - Updated - - -

My boy is turning 2 next month.

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    :highfive

Always enjoy your builds and glad you can share it with someone special.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Your last build was one of my favorites, but I think you've definitely 1 up'd that one here! Initially I thought....ugh just a TT bolt on turbo kit, this can't be right (for your standards at least). Then the build took the amazing turn I expected!

I love your ingenuity and how thorough you are. I'm also glad you've remained loyal to reinventing the same chassis in different ways (considering most would've told you to start with an e46 m3 on this build and your last build). Your out to prove your point, and you're doing so marvelously. The attention to detail and your choice in parts is awesome, I can only dream to go this in depth into one of my builds one day!

My favorite part is that you're experiencing this journey with your son! While he may be a bit young to truly appreciate his father's abilities, I'm sure there will be future projects where he will be able to benefit further from your vast knowledge and skills.

Anyway, glad to see that you took on another build after the tragedy on track with your drag car. I'm glad you have taken the appropriate safety precautions on your "grocery getter," and I'm sure the final result will be nothing short of amazing.

A few questions for you:

With the paddle shifters, will the MoTec trans controller allow this set-up to out perform say an e46 m3 SMG?

Is E85 available to you? If so why did you chose methanol instead?

You listed 430wtq as your torque goal, what do you estimate the hp will be at? Also, based on that goal, is the nitrous just there for fun? Because, an m54b30 with a 3076 and methanol should easily help you achieve your goals, especially with a properly tuned MoTec setup.

Keep us update on the progress! Haven't been on here in a while, and you just gave me a new reason to check in more frequently!
    Last edited by e30polak; 11-22-2014 at 04:26 AM.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I realized in my previous posts I haven't talked anything about the fuel injectors, and how they are used by the M1 Series.

The M1 series uses flow modelling to control the Air/fuel mixture. This involves mapping the efficiency of the engine, the actual flow of the injectors, and also a fuel film model for the port walls. This is the open loop model, you can add closed loop with a Lambda sensor as well. So the first thing you need to do with any set of fuel injectors being used by M1 series, is get a characterization model. Motec will do this for free, you just have to send the injectors to them if they don't already have them in their database. I provided the Bosch part # to Motec, they didn't have it, and so I sent the injectors to Australia. Motec returned the injectors with a note saying they are the same as the 997 Turbo injectors, and that they had a characterization model for me. Being that this is Motec's data, I've cleared the characterization sheets of values, to share what it is that they provide:

So that's the excel version of the data, they also provide a file that can be loaded into M1 so you don't have to type all that stuff in. Here's what part of that looks like in M1 Tune:

So that's for just cylinder #3 @ 8 volts. There are values up to 15v as you can see, and you in theory could have a different injector type on all 6 cylinders, and the ECU would adapt the fuelling for that.

The fuel film modelling is pretty neat too:

Something else I haven't mentioned is the Licensing from Motec. I have an M1 Development license on my ECU, which allows custom firmware to be written in M1 Build, and then exported to the ECU. A Motec dealer with an M1 Development kit can then write features for you, and they can be uploaded to the ECU. To be clear, the M1 Development Kit license is completely separate from the ECU development license. You need both to be able to write custom features.

What kind of features can you write? Anything you can dream up. Here is an example:

For those that aren't following, it's a table to define the PWM frequency (Pulse frequency) of a nitrous solenoid based on manifold pressure and RPM. Just to clarify, this is not a duty cycle table, it is PWM frequency which is normally a fixed value in progressive nitrous control strategies. I can make this table as big as I want, and assign the axis to any input I want.

...an introduction to M1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    That kid will be a genius. College will be a brease. He will getting paid for doing other college kids homework while slaying all the hunnies on the side.

- - - Updated - - -

My boy is turning 2 next month.
    We'll have our hands full well before he gets to college.

Good luck with your "boost" addict.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimDoc View Post
    :highfive

Always enjoy your builds and glad you can share it with someone special.
    Very kind of you.

Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    Your last build was one of my favorites, but I think you've definitely 1 up'd that one here! Initially I thought....ugh just a TT bolt on turbo kit, this can't be right (for your standards at least). Then the build took the amazing turn I expected!

I love your ingenuity and how thorough you are. I'm also glad you've remained loyal to reinventing the same chassis in different ways (considering most would've told you to start with an e46 m3 on this build and your last build). Your out to prove your point, and you're doing so marvelously. The attention to detail and your choice in parts is awesome, I can only dream to go this in depth into one of my builds one day!

My favorite part is that you're experiencing this journey with your son! While he may be a bit young to truly appreciate his father's abilities, I'm sure there will be future projects where he will be able to benefit further from your vast knowledge and skills.

Anyway, glad to see that you took on another build after the tragedy on track with your drag car. I'm glad you have taken the appropriate safety precautions on your "grocery getter," and I'm sure the final result will be nothing short of amazing.

A few questions for you:

With the paddle shifters, will the MoTec trans controller allow this set-up to out perform say an e46 m3 SMG?

Is E85 available to you? If so why did you chose methanol instead?

You listed 430wtq as your torque goal, what do you estimate the hp will be at? Also, based on that goal, is the nitrous just there for fun? Because, an m54b30 with a 3076 and methanol should easily help you achieve your goals, especially with a properly tuned MoTec setup.

Keep us update on the progress! Haven't been on here in a while, and you just gave me a new reason to check in more frequently!
    Thanks for the encouraging comments.

The paddle shifters will be linked to both the Motec ECU and the PCS transmision controller. The idea is to use both a torque reduction strategy in the ECU and a clutch engagement strategy in the TCU to smooth out the shifts. I don't know how fast it will be, but the quality of the shifts will be based on accelerometer data more so than shift speed. I suspect this process will take quite a while to figure out. Also, I'm told that someone is writing an automatic transmission control module for M1 series, so if that shows up, I imagine I'll ditch the PCS TCU. For the moment, I've got no other option but to run both.

I don't have E85 anywhere close to me. The meth is more about pre-compressor injection than post IC cooling. While I have the nozzles plumbed in to inject after the IC, I don't have a flow control valve to feed them with. I'm using the HFS-6 stuff to feed the pre-compressor nozzle...which I suspect I'll run 100% water to initially.

430rwtq and about the same HP. (Probably about 450rwhp) The reason for this is that this is where I left off with the 330Ci drag car, and I was breaking stuff. So I upgraded what I had issues with, and I want to see how that works. Also, I don't know anyone that's run that level of power through this transmission...so I need to prove a few things before I set any further goals.

The nitrous is honestly just proof of concept. There is a bunch of stuff with regard to control strategy that I'm writing that I need to test. Whether I'm running a 50 shot or a 500 shot doesn't mater, the concepts are the same for both. It's a lot easier to recover from a mistake with a little shot as well, and the interaction with the turbo side also needs to be proven. Someday I'll have to post up the nitrous system I've designed for the "next" race car. It's fed by -6 AN line....

One thing that I haven't gotten into in much detail is the cylinder head on this engine. It is truly something special; the ports look nothing like any other BMW engine I've seen. I don't have anything to show for it yet, but everyone I mention Erland Cox's name to gives the thumbs up. I am very excited to see how efficient it is when setting up the VE tables in the Motec!

My Cars
    1990 329tis e30
    Very impressive, outstanding build.So much complexity and so much data collection for only like 450 hp at the wheels .With so much data collection this looks more like a research build for something even more epic in the future.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by George318 View Post
    With so much data collection this looks more like a research build for something even more epic in the future.
    It is.

And I've already started building it.

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    This is one of the most amazing projects i have seen in a very long time..... STUNNING in all possible way.. truly epic

SALUTE........
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    1998 e36
    No because 5hp19 is very poor with tiptronic, there is a full second delay for hydraulics to work their way.

Suneal is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    Z4M, Fiesta ST, E30
    I don't normally venture into this forum, but I was lucky enough to find this thread. Bravo, sir.

What's your background? More importantly, how does one go about acquiring a similar breadth of skills as yours? Impressive.

My Cars
    '86&'87 325e,'84 635CSi
    I love finding builds that make me pause iTunes and close the Facebook window so I am not disturbed while reading them. This is one of those builds; money + insane knowledge= epic builds.

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Amazing build! Excellent attention to detail.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    E46 330iT,2502tii,e30M3
    Very very interesting

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    just wanted to say that this is one of my favorite threads of all time. bravo on the motec and your well stratagized pressure sensors. i didnt read the last couple post, i gotta wait till the morning with a fresh set of eyes.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    '89 325is S52'd, E46 M3
    This is amazing. Love the attention to detail!

Your son is lucky!!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by B10 BITURBO View Post
    This is one of the most amazing projects i have seen in a very long time..... STUNNING in all possible way.. truly epic

SALUTE........
    Thanks.

You do some interesting projects yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    No because 5hp19 is very poor with tiptronic, there is a full second delay for hydraulics to work their way.
    I should be able to show this with data logs....will just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Suneal View Post
    I don't normally venture into this forum, but I was lucky enough to find this thread. Bravo, sir.

What's your background? More importantly, how does one go about acquiring a similar breadth of skills as yours? Impressive.
    I'm a project manager in a completely un-related field.

As far as the skills go, I'm just curious and like to try things out. If there's something I want to learn, I try to get close to those that do it well. In the case of the 330Ci, I wanted to build the chassis to a certain level, so I went to work for free for a professional road racing team to learn. I would travel to races, or down to their shop, some times from other continents, all to take part in a professional program on my own dime so that I could learn. It was a good investment of time and $$ in my opinion. On the drag racing side, I spent a lot of time at the race track, and also got involved with a Pro-Mod program. On the electronics side, I have a number of people that have helped me tremendously, most notably Neel Vasavada who has brought me into his Motec M1 Development program.

Quote Originally Posted by E30 F34R View Post
    I love finding builds that make me pause iTunes and close the Facebook window so I am not disturbed while reading them. This is one of those builds; money + insane knowledge= epic builds.
    I love finding those too. Currently, the F40 LM restoration is the best one I've seen. Going back a few years, I really enjoyed Chris Carlisi's FD build until tragedy struck. (That one really hit me hard) It made me focus more on "life".

Quote Originally Posted by atl530i View Post
    Amazing build! Excellent attention to detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by smoulton0204 View Post
    Very very interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    just wanted to say that this is one of my favorite threads of all time. bravo on the motec and your well stratagized pressure sensors. i didnt read the last couple post, i gotta wait till the morning with a fresh set of eyes.
    Thank you gents! Curiosity is leading me to interesting places.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    its becoming more clear to me as i read this thread that this project is more about development and concepts more then making power, which is what really tickles my fancy. im just begining to get into the more advanced features of my megasquirt. not on the same level as you or your motec, but i get it.

as far as the meth injection, and the lack of a flow control valve, im using an injector drive circuit to pusle width the meth injection pump in my car. it works great, even though ms lacks a couple features that id like to see in regards to the meth injection, like fuel trimming when meth is active.

maybe i skimmed right by it, but any intent on EGT data
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    many
    Man I need to win the lottery lol. nice to see you are still at it. Looks awesome.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dburt86 View Post
    as far as the meth injection, and the lack of a flow control valve, im using an injector drive circuit to pusle width the meth injection pump in my car. it works great, even though ms lacks a couple features that id like to see in regards to the meth injection, like fuel trimming when meth is active.

maybe i skimmed right by it, but any intent on EGT data
    Technically, I have a whole bunch of flow control valves! (Nitrous solenoids) However, I'm not motivated to get into writing the code for all this stuff (2 systems of W/A injection) when my car doesn't even run. Eventually it will happen. For now I'll just connect the HFS-6 valve on the pre-compressor nozzle.

I'm also not a big fan of varying fluid pressure to control volume output. In testing fuel distribution for direct port nitrous injection, I found that nozzles drip at lower pressures. I'm not saying they sprayed and dripped, I'm saying they simply dripped. To some extent you can play with this by using smaller jets which increases dispersion velocity, but I found that at certain points the drip was still there. The other thing I found was that with a big reservoir behind a smaller nozzle, (Fluid lines from pump to nozzles) there were delays in reducing flow. (The system would need to "bleed" down) On an engine gear-shift, the RPM drop would reduce the flow mass required, but the delivery system couldn't keep up and you'd get too much volume for a second or so. So my preference is to put a high pressure system behind a solenoid valve, and vary the flow by pulsing that valve as close to the nozzle as possible. The system latency is much better. Now...that's not to say I'm completely against running pumps with PWM signals! The A1000 fuel pump will be driven by one of the SSD channels; the idea being to run the pump just fast enough to keep a pressure target at lower engine loads, and then ramp it up as demand increases. I think it's a little ridiculous to circulate 1000hp of fuel while idling on the street.

There is an EGT sensor on the top of the WG tube. I have a 2nd one, but I'm a little reluctant to mount it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    Man I need to win the lottery lol. nice to see you are still at it. Looks awesome.
    Thanks Boris.

It will never be as fast as your project, but I'm having fun.

My Cars
    E92 M3
    You are the man Adam.

My Cars
    97 328is 02 e46 330xi
    Incredible build and attention to detail. That's sick man. One question though. Arnt you a little paranoid of some idiot pushing the external fire suppression button while your parked in a parking lot not around the car or is it ignition/key on linked?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by autowa View Post
    is it ignition/key on linked?
    That may not be the case, but he does have an arming button which I'm sure would have to be "armed" to allow a discharge to be activated by that button.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I always wondered when you were going to make a build thread over here, Adam.

The only reason I log onto E46F was to checkup on this build.
    I haven't posted on e46F since 2010.

Bravo!!!
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Technically, I have a whole bunch of flow control valves! (Nitrous solenoids) However, I'm not motivated to get into writing the code for all this stuff (2 systems of W/A injection) when my car doesn't even run. Eventually it will happen. For now I'll just connect the HFS-6 valve on the pre-compressor nozzle.

I'm also not a big fan of varying fluid pressure to control volume output. In testing fuel distribution for direct port nitrous injection, I found that nozzles drip at lower pressures. I'm not saying they sprayed and dripped, I'm saying they simply dripped. To some extent you can play with this by using smaller jets which increases dispersion velocity, but I found that at certain points the drip was still there. The other thing I found was that with a big reservoir behind a smaller nozzle, (Fluid lines from pump to nozzles) there were delays in reducing flow. (The system would need to "bleed" down) On an engine gear-shift, the RPM drop would reduce the flow mass required, but the delivery system couldn't keep up and you'd get too much volume for a second or so. So my preference is to put a high pressure system behind a solenoid valve, and vary the flow by pulsing that valve as close to the nozzle as possible. The system latency is much better. Now...that's not to say I'm completely against running pumps with PWM signals! The A1000 fuel pump will be driven by one of the SSD channels; the idea being to run the pump just fast enough to keep a pressure target at lower engine loads, and then ramp it up as demand increases. I think it's a little ridiculous to circulate 1000hp of fuel while idling on the street.

There is an EGT sensor on the top of the WG tube. I have a 2nd one, but I'm a little reluctant to mount it yet.

Thanks Boris.

It will never be as fast as your project, but I'm having fun.
    ive noticed this with my setup, the lower duty cycles will result in a drip. the only thing i found that helped was to reduce the size of the nozzle opening, but then you are limiting your overall flow rate.

i think your right about the solenoid closest to the nozzle will be your most effective setup.

loving it so far. keep it up

i would use proper punctuation but my shift buttons dont work, lmao
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast