Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    2001 330i
    The answers to FAQs:

Q: How much power does it make?
    A: None. The ECU isn't connected to the wiring harnesses yet, so the engine doesn't run. (See bottom right of image below)

Q: How much Nitrous you spraying?
    A: To start with a 25 Shot, but I don't have the solenoid plumbed into the intake yet. (See above picture)

Q: How much boost?
    A: It has a 4 psi WG spring, so whatever that nets.

Q: What will it run in the 1/4 mile?
    A: Slower than 11.49

Q: How much did this cost?
    A: Money - About the same as 2 new nicely optioned 3 series. Time - All of my free time for 5 years.

Q: Why did you do this?
    A: I don't have a rational explanation; I've always just wanted to build a fast car.

Q: When will it be on the road?
    A: Ask my wife. She has a secret list of jobs I have to do before I'm allowed to work on the car.

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Do you have any data comparing the M54 intake manifold to the M50? The m50 is more top end power, m54 is more low end torque based, but haven't seen any comparison dyno results in a boosted application (hoveringuy is about to try it in his NA e30 m54). Just curious if you plan to try both

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    Do you have any data comparing the M54 intake manifold to the M50? The m50 is more top end power, m54 is more low end torque based, but haven't seen any comparison dyno results in a boosted application (hoveringuy is about to try it in his NA e30 m54). Just curious if you plan to try both
    I don't have any data, and probably won't pursue it. I already have 2 intake manifold projects on the shelf in line for testing....

- - - Updated - - -

Something a few of you might find interesting:

In M1 Build, I've setup the Oil Pressure warning to have High and Low limits, based on engine RPM and Oil temperature. This will allow a safe "window" to be defined, that takes into account the oil temperature.

Most Oil Pressure alarms are static, whereby a set value is used regardless of the engine RPM and Oil temperature.

There is a similar alarm for fuel pressure, where differential fuel pressure is monitored that takes into account manifold pressure and fuel system pressure. For example if you set base fuel pressure at 50 PSI, and were running 20 PSI of boost, the ECU would look for 70 PSI in the fuel system. (Provided you were running a manifold referenced FPR)

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Just finished all 10 pages. WHOLE THING WAS/IS AMAZING! I think i'm most infatuated with all the wiring and sensors.

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Go to the local dealer for a maintenance, tell them there is a leak sound or something under the hood, and take a picture when they will open the hood !!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarfy View Post
    Go to the local dealer for a maintenance, tell them there is a leak sound or something under the hood, and take a picture when they will open the hood !!
    It's way to late for that....they know me from the previous project:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    Just finished all 10 pages. WHOLE THING WAS/IS AMAZING! I think i'm most infatuated with all the wiring and sensors.
    Thanks.

Interestingly enough, it's the electronics side that I'm the most excited about as well.

My Cars
    1999 328i -2000 323i
    Adam, I remember a while back you were messing with in cylinder pressure sensors, any plans to continue that? Is the motec capable of interpreting such data?

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Great work as usual Adam! Just curious if you've thought about using nut plates vs individual nuts? They're typically k-nut style lock nuts and make it a bit easier to install (dab of epoxy to hold in place) although you can't reuse them more than twice.

-Greg

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit38 View Post
    Adam, I remember a while back you were messing with in cylinder pressure sensors, any plans to continue that? Is the motec capable of interpreting such data?
    It's on my wish list. The Motec side of the project kind of blew up, so I've been both distracted....and broke.

The acquisition system for these type of sensors is very specific; I don't think Motec's input software is setup to handle it. The hardware can do it, but you need as a minimum, 1 data point per crank degree of rotation. At 7000 RPM, that's a 42,000hz sample rate. I know that for ignition timing, the CPS actually samples higher than that, but we're talking about a different kind of signal. Then there's the software side, which is also very specific. This is why the TFX system is employed, as a specific tool, and then I believe you can get outputs for peak cylinder pressure, but it won't be able to address the timing. Plex Tuning has also recently released a system, if anyone is in the market. Whatever system is employed, the pressure sensors are $1k each, minimum...so it takes a bit of commitment to do this. (You need 3 sensors to monitor 1 cylinder completely)

Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Great work as usual Adam! Just curious if you've thought about using nut plates vs individual nuts? They're typically k-nut style lock nuts and make it a bit easier to install (dab of epoxy to hold in place) although you can't reuse them more than twice.

-Greg
    Greg,

I take this stuff apart a lot, so it needs to be something that's both easy to use, and can withstand a lot of cycles.

For this reason, I've moved away from using locking style nuts, and prefer to double nut things if I need to lock them in place (This is what I've done on the exhaust, with the V-band clamps)

As odd as this sounds, I've already got a V2 in my head for the entire electronics layout. You learn as you go...but I need to finish this one first and enjoy the car a bit.

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    It's on my wish list. The Motec side of the project kind of blew up, so I've been both distracted....and broke. The acquisition system for these type of sensors is very specific; I don't think Motec's input software is setup to handle it. The hardware can do it, but you need as a minimum, 1 data point per crank degree of rotation. At 7000 RPM, that's a 42,000hz sample rate. I know that for ignition timing, the CPS actually samples higher than that, but we're talking about a different kind of signal. Then there's the software side, which is also very specific. This is why the TFX system is employed, as a specific tool, and then I believe you can get outputs for peak cylinder pressure, but it won't be able to address the timing. Plex Tuning has also recently released a system, if anyone is in the market. Whatever system is employed, the pressure sensors are $1k each, minimum...so it takes a bit of commitment to do this. (You need 3 sensors to monitor 1 cylinder completely) Greg, I take this stuff apart a lot, so it needs to be something that's both easy to use, and can withstand a lot of cycles. For this reason, I've moved away from using locking style nuts, and prefer to double nut things if I need to lock them in place (This is what I've done on the exhaust, with the V-band clamps) As odd as this sounds, I've already got a V2 in my head for the entire electronics layout. You learn as you go...but I need to finish this one first and enjoy the car a bit.
    Lol, wow dude. You're the man!
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    It's on my wish list. The Motec side of the project kind of blew up, so I've been both distracted....and broke.

The acquisition system for these type of sensors is very specific; I don't think Motec's input software is setup to handle it. The hardware can do it, but you need as a minimum, 1 data point per crank degree of rotation. At 7000 RPM, that's a 42,000hz sample rate. I know that for ignition timing, the CPS actually samples higher than that, but we're talking about a different kind of signal. Then there's the software side, which is also very specific. This is why the TFX system is employed, as a specific tool, and then I believe you can get outputs for peak cylinder pressure, but it won't be able to address the timing. Plex Tuning has also recently released a system, if anyone is in the market. Whatever system is employed, the pressure sensors are $1k each, minimum...so it takes a bit of commitment to do this. (You need 3 sensors to monitor 1 cylinder completely)

Greg,

I take this stuff apart a lot, so it needs to be something that's both easy to use, and can withstand a lot of cycles.

For this reason, I've moved away from using locking style nuts, and prefer to double nut things if I need to lock them in place (This is what I've done on the exhaust, with the V-band clamps)

As odd as this sounds, I've already got a V2 in my head for the entire electronics layout. You learn as you go...but I need to finish this one first and enjoy the car a bit.
    Makes sense was just curious! Haha completely understand already moving on to V2 before you're even done with the first version.

My Cars
    E46 330iT E36 328i
    Adam, I am awe struck! I haven't been on the forum in a while and last night I stumbled across your new project car, between last night and today I have gone through all 10pages and I am simply blown away at the level of detail you have put into this build, it is so inspiring!
    I followed your coupe build some time back which brought me a tremendous amount of respect and inspiration, this new build however is on a whole new level! Take a bow sir!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330CI Clubsport
    Hi there,
    I was googling for any kind of info about m54b30 head exhaust porting and found your thread.
    I'm from Ukraine and own a 2003 e46 330 Clubsport
    http://bmw-club.lviv.ua/attachment.p...2&d=1375747316
    it started consuming engine oil ... almost a liter for 1000km, so I've decided to rebuild the engine.

I'll be installing kat-less exhaust and think of porting the head, since yes, there's quite a difference:
    http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Jack...9_IMG.jpg.html

I've seen the m54b30 head sliced but still I don't know how far I can go in the width(left and right). Could you plz share some info, or pictures.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by andriy330 View Post
    Hi there,
    I was googling for any kind of info about m54b30 head exhaust porting and found your thread.
    I'm from Ukraine and own a 2003 e46 330 Clubsport
    http://bmw-club.lviv.ua/attachment.p...2&d=1375747316
    it started consuming engine oil ... almost a liter for 1000km, so I've decided to rebuild the engine.

I'll be installing kat-less exhaust and think of porting the head, since yes, there's quite a difference:
    http://s40.photobucket.com/user/Jack...9_IMG.jpg.html

I've seen the m54b30 head sliced but still I don't know how far I can go in the width(left and right). Could you plz share some info, or pictures.

Thanks!
    I will answer your question the first place that you posted it.

The additional 3 posts were unnecessary, and aggravating.

My Cars
    94' 325ist bullseye s366
    The answers to FAQs:

Q: How much power does it make?
    A: None. The ECU isn't connected to the wiring harnesses yet, so the engine doesn't run. (See bottom right of image below)

Q: How much Nitrous you spraying?
    A: To start with a 25 Shot, but I don't have the solenoid plumbed into the intake yet. (See above picture)

Q: How much boost?
    A: It has a 4 psi WG spring, so whatever that nets.

Q: What will it run in the 1/4 mile?
    A: Slower than 11.49

Q: How much did this cost?
    A: Money - About the same as 2 new nicely optioned 3 series. Time - All of my free time for 5 years.

Q: Why did you do this?
    A: I don't have a rational explanation; I've always just wanted to build a fast car.

Q: When will it be on the road?
    A: Ask my wife. She has a secret list of jobs I have to do before I'm allowed to work on the car.

one question that hasn't been asked yet or maybe I've missed it. is there a reason why you went with the aluminum block instead of the iron block? I've heard there were multiple problems with aluminum blocks and their head studs getting ripped out by boost.
    Last edited by quan408; 07-18-2015 at 11:05 PM.
    ~BLKSPY-D s366 E36~ the first ever bottom mount s366 E36 in the U.S. since 2008

My Cars
    1999 328i -2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by quan408 View Post
    one question that hasn't been asked yet or maybe I've missed it. is there a reason why you went with the aluminum block instead of the iron block? I've heard there were multiple problems with aluminum blocks and their head studs getting ripped out by boost.
    Adam has many years, blood sweat and tears into the m54 engine. "Too much to turn back". The m54 is capable of higher output if done properly. I don't think he will have any problems with his power goals.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by quan408 View Post
    Where specifically have you read about these problems, I would be interested to learn more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit38 View Post
    Adam has many years, blood sweat and tears into the m54 engine. "Too much to turn back". The m54 is capable of higher output if done properly. I don't think he will have any problems with his power goals.
    As you are aware, I've got an engine project on the go since 2010 that makes my current engine look like a toy. Just have to find the time....

My Cars
    2000 BMW 316i
    Where did you send your transmission to, to have it rebuild and how much torque will it hold now?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarck View Post
    Where did you send your transmission to, to have it rebuild and how much torque will it hold now?
    IPT (Import Performance Transmission)

Verbally, over the phone, they told me it should be good for 600hp.

My Cars
    BMWs
    IPT (Import Performance Transmission)

Verbally, over the phone, they told me it should be good for 600hp.
    Do you find it troubling they rated a driveline component in HP capability and not torque?

My Cars
    e30
    Where specifically have you read about these problems, I would be interested to learn more about this?
    People just repeat this, but there is never any proof. It mostly comes from the oversimplification that aluminum=weak, steel=strong.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1999 328i -2000 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    People just repeat this, but there is never any proof. It mostly comes from the oversimplification that aluminum=weak, steel=strong.
    Or because they regularly pull the threads out of the block when overheated...

My Cars
    e30
    What does that have to do with strength during normal operation? Studs ripping out due to high in cylinder pressure and studs ripping out because the material properties have changed due to highly elevated temperatures are completely different failure modes and cannot be compared.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    97 328is 02 e46 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    What does that have to do with strength during normal operation? Studs ripping out due to high in cylinder pressure and studs ripping out because the material properties have changed due to highly elevated temperatures are completely different failure modes and cannot be compared.
    The fact is both scenarios happen. There Is more info on E46 fanatics it seems on the issue.

Sent from my SGH-I337M POS

Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast