Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1544

Thread: E46 330i Automatic - M54B30 Turbo

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Pink snowstorm in the shop:

Actually....I was cutting down the AKG "Turbo" mount to fit next to the GTX40 compressor inlet:

And of course the 210mm LSD arrived from Wanganstyle:

It now lives in an E46M3 rear subframe with AKG poly mounts in all locations:

I learned there are a few things you need to do in sequence when installing this diff in a non-M chassis....the hard way:

Some people will know what I'm talking about....

Next, I found that the driveshaft was about 1.25"-1.5" too long for the new diff, so I sent the front section off to be shortened and balanced:

My Cars
    2001 330i
    One thing that absolutely shocked me was how little effort was required to turn the input (or output) flange(s) on the diff from Wanganstyle. About midway through the build process, I requested that the ring and pinion, as well as bearing races had WPC treatment. ( http://www.wpctreatment.com ) This, along with use of quality bearings and precise assembly, has resulted in a "feel" by hand from the diff that I have never experienced before. Everything simply glides like it has zero friction.

I've had a number of previous 188mm diffs with REM polishing, and nothing compares to what this 210mm feels like.

The specs on the diff:

- 3.62 Ring and pinion
    - Cusco LSD with custom 1 way ramps for drag racing
    - New OEM rear cover, with upgraded Wanganstyle fastener package
    - WPC treated bearing races, ring and pinion.
    - Custom output stub shafts to mate with non-M half shafts (I have custom DSS half shafts)

After having the 188mm and 210mm sitting side by side....I think my rear end is not likely to be a problem for a very long time.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Which Cusco diff did you go with, the RS or MZ? The 1 way is actually pretty nice for even track driving, as it will have a higher preload than a stock type diff and way more friction plates.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Slowly...slowly coming back together.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Which Cusco diff did you go with, the RS or MZ? The 1 way is actually pretty nice for even track driving, as it will have a higher preload than a stock type diff and way more friction plates.
    I don't know the specific model, but it is spec'd to have an aggressive ramp for drag racing.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    The shortened driveshaft:

And modified center bearing:

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Any particular reason you shortened the front DS and not the rear DS? The rear DS being shorter would allow the stock center bearing to maintain position, and it'd raise the lower critical frequency of the longer rear DS.

I'm sure you've got your reasons, just curious what they are.

On the aluminum welding, don't forget the three C's - Clean, Clean, Clean!

My Cars
    TT RS
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Everything simply glides like it has zero friction.
    Are you using Motul for the diff as well?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Any particular reason you shortened the front DS and not the rear DS? The rear DS being shorter would allow the stock center bearing to maintain position, and it'd raise the lower critical frequency of the longer rear DS.

I'm sure you've got your reasons, just curious what they are.
    This was part of a mad dash to get the car to the race track on Sunday, and it was Wednesday morning. I took the part that I thought would be easiest to ship and work on, so that in theory I could get the driveshaft back on Friday. After I had shipped the shaft, and started bolting in the rear segment of the shaft, I realized that I had sent the wrong shaft....but I just went with it.

So my reason is: I'm a putz.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexQuattro View Post
    Are you using Motul for the diff as well?
    Not yet, for now I'm using Redline.

The diff was dry when I was doing my "spin" testing....so this isn't a function of oil.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Being a putz or too much beer dictated a lot of custom fab decisions on my S13. Feel you there

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I twisted my front in 2. Have not seen a rear twisted in 2. Don't know why. Maybe some physics thing. But if that is the norm in breakage, maybe shortening the front will make it stronger. But I twisted the splines connecting the 2 halves on the replacement shaft . . .

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Being a putz or too much beer dictated a lot of custom fab decisions on my S13. Feel you there
    I've never claimed to do professional work, I just try to have a professional mindset, but it's most often applied to awkward timelines.

#PutzIndustries

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I twisted my front in 2. Have not seen a rear twisted in 2. Don't know why. Maybe some physics thing. But if that is the norm in breakage, maybe shortening the front will make it stronger. But I twisted the splines connecting the 2 halves on the replacement shaft . . .
    As you can see in one of the pictures, I still have the driveshaft from the automatic transmission nightmare. That gives me a spare back section with a center bearing, and a front section that's too short. My plan is to send the front section over to the same shop to see if they can replace all of the OEM tubing with something stronger. That would give me a spare driveshaft to add to the pile:

- Spare clutch friction plates
    - Spare transmissions
    - *Spare driveshaft
    - Don't need a spare diff now.
    - Spare stock half shafts

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I'm interested in the math behind this calculator:

http://www.22rpd.com/boostcalc.php

Can anyone point me to the answers?

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I'm interested in the math behind this calculator:

http://www.22rpd.com/boostcalc.php

Can anyone point me to the answers?
    Some kind of goobermath - because it doesn't make any sense. E70 has roughly the same detonation resistance as E85, but it clearly puts them in different categories. E85 should also equal 116 leaded octane, but it gives the clear advantage to the 116.

Basically, it's garbage as far as I've seen when tuning...

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    High Preload is not desirable for circuit use. High preload = understeer for low speed hairpins.
    1 way is ideal for many many things, one of them is tight circuits.

The specifications I use are have internal spring settings of either hybrid or RS style but not avail off the shelf;
    In regards to aftermarket differentials one can't just order one and throw it in and expect it to be ideal; customization is even more important;

Cusco units have are mutiple ramps avail with 1, 1.5 and 2 way settings, mild (A), medium (b), and aggressive (c) all avail.
    preload springs are avail outer (hybrid type) or inner (rs type) of the center cluster stack and between 0-12 inner and 0-12 outer can be fitted;
    The combinations are pretty wide; MZ type is really ideal only for drifting.

The benefits of aftermarket differentials are mainly in smoothness of engagement/disengagement and the fact that they are new 2017 products vs a legacy unit.
    One does have to properly setup either but the modern aftermarket units have much more adjustability.

The number of plates and style of plates does not really matter if set properly to the application; cusco units have a LOT of plates and well designed oiling as well as WPC internal gears standard for durability and cooling.
    coated plates of a ZF style does not translate to plates of an OS/cusco type with steel plates.
    Last edited by wanganstyle; 10-12-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    A much higher preload than stock makes the car much more stable under braking and especially trail braking. You do need to setup the car with how the diff is setup, so I don't agree that a blanket "high preload is bad for circuit driving." I found the opposite to be true, as my car going from a helical (Quaife type) diff to a Cusco RS 1.5 way with 80% lockup became much more predictable under threshold braking and trail braking. It did pick up a tad of entry understeer, but a little setup change and driving style change helped alleviate a lot of that. The car gained about 1.5 sec/lap on a 1:55 lap with that diff, mainly in braking/trail braking areas and higher speed corners.

My Cars
    1998 M3 / 2000 S2000
    AERO and footwork..........

everything needs to be setup properly.

A much higher preload than stock makes the car much more stable under braking and especially trail braking. You do need to setup the car with how the diff is setup, so I don't agree that a blanket "high preload is bad for circuit driving." I found the opposite to be true, as my car going from a helical (Quaife type) diff to a Cusco RS 1.5 way with 80% lockup became much more predictable under threshold braking and trail braking. It did pick up a tad of entry understeer, but a little setup change and driving style change helped alleviate a lot of that. The car gained about 1.5 sec/lap on a 1:55 lap with that diff, mainly in braking/trail braking areas and higher speed corners.
    Wanganstyle Powertrain
    http://www.wanganstyle.com/

S54B32 E36 M3 DTA S100 Sedan Street car full swap:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I was given a really wide range of options when spec'ing the diff for my application. The input I provided that had the most influence on the setup was: Street car, drag race focused.

If I had asked for circuit racing, the diff hardware and setup would be different.

My choices might not suit other people, but if I'm happy with the result, that's all that counts in my book.

The fact that Wanganstyle took the time to visit my thread and provide even more background on my diff is a nice bonus!

My Cars
    Makes whoosh noises
    I must be the only one who loves the OE M-Diff...

1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
    I must be the only one who loves the OE M-Diff...
    Clearly, you don't have enough power...to make it an issue.

#2kwhp
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 10-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

#2kwhp
    Lol, Adam with the quick wit!

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Hands View Post
    Lol, Adam with the quick wit!
    I'm not a very good E-friend. Beware.

My Cars
    Makes whoosh noises

#2kwhp
    Sad-Memes-man-crying-front-of-computer.png

1000+RWHP, Lab22 Built Turbo S54 - BMW Half Mile Record Holder

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Considering putting in 11:1 pistons I have on the shelf....instead of running the 8.5:1 setup currently in the block. Would require a race fuel mix with pump fuel all the time....and 100% race fuel with nitrous at the track.

Thoughts?

I find the engine a little soggy off-boost, and it takes a bit to get it to spool. Looking for more response on the street....

And no, I don't have access to E85.
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 10-26-2017 at 12:50 AM.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Order drums of E85? Smaller exhaust housing?

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast