Thread: DIS window reinitialize

My Cars
    2005 545

DIS window reinitialize

Has anyone done a window reinitialization with DIS that can guide me through the proceedure . Just recently got my software up running , and need a little step by step training . Any help would be great

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    what exactly are you trying to do?

For most bmw to initialize the one touch power windows you just hold the button for 15 seconds after the window has fully opened, then close the window and continue holding the button in the close position for another 15 seconds.

Edit: here is a full explanation for your car: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=2
    Last edited by legoman67; 11-17-2014 at 11:31 PM.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2005 545
    I have a rear driver side passenger window anti trap malfunction and done the 15 second hold down trick ,,and didn't work . Tried it numerous times. Thanks for the info , I have a PDF that is the same procedure ...
    I know a window reinitialization can be done in DIS ,, so want to give that a try. Want to know how its done first before giving it a shot .. Searched and searched but couldn't find anything on how to get it done . So thought maybe some one here would know how ....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H F; 11-19-2014 at 03:40 AM.

My Cars
    e39
    Did you try to find it in Service Functions? also deleting error won't get your problem solved if you have to fix something

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by legoman67 View Post
    what exactly are you trying to do?
    This. Clue us a little more as to why you need to do this just in case there is some other tidbit of information we might be missing.

Start the initialization process with the window already in the full down position.
    THEN...press and hold the button all the way down for 15 or so seconds.
    THEN...press and hold the button in the up position for 15 or so seconds after it is fully rolled up.
    THEN...release window button completely and see what happens.

Just figured I'd re-write the instructions a bit and see if that makes a difference, sometimes a different take on it helps, sometimes not.
    I do not know where in DIS this sort of thing would be found, sorry.

My Cars
    2005 545
    Quote Originally Posted by alberttm View Post
    Did you try to find it in Service Functions? also deleting error won't get your problem solved if you have to fix something
    I reset the error on BMWhat first and it didn't clear . Also reset memory in INPA and it didn't clear.
    I just got up and running with INPA,DIS,SSS/PROGMAN, Carsoft ,NCSExpert ...

It seems DIS is more user friendly and have seen youtube video's of the process but didn't show how exactly to perform the initialization ..

So trying to figure out how to use all this new stuff is a little time consuming, as it,s hard to find a how to step by step procedure ...

Ill try to look and find it the service functions .. Thanks for the tip

- - - Updated - - -

Im just learning how to navigate thru the program, Ive only had all the programs up and running a few days .
    I will find service functions and look in there .. Thanks for the tip ..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMullins View Post
    This. Clue us a little more as to why you need to do this just in case there is some other tidbit of information we might be missing.

Start the initialization process with the window already in the full down position.
    THEN...press and hold the button all the way down for 15 or so seconds.
    THEN...press and hold the button in the up position for 15 or so seconds after it is fully rolled up.
    THEN...release window button completely and see what happens.

Just figured I'd re-write the instructions a bit and see if that makes a difference, sometimes a different take on it helps, sometimes not.
    I do not know where in DIS this sort of thing would be found, sorry.
    Did exactly that ,, but no luck ... Thanks for the help . Once I figure it out Ill post up the process
    Last edited by H F; 11-19-2014 at 04:25 PM.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If there is an error that cannot be cleared and you have followed the usual reinitialisation procedure but the error remains, the problem is more than likely to be mechanical. I had this problem on an E36 a few years ago and it turned out to be related to a sticky door microswitch. Lubrication and repeated cycling of the door lock eventually freed up the problem and I was then able to reinitialise the switch using the normal procedure and successfully clear the error code (which has never caused a problem since). Replacement of the microswitch is not expensive but it is time-consuming as from memory it is located inside the pillar, adjacent to the door lock.

My Cars
    2005 545
    The micro switch huh ? I was afraid something like this might be the case or the motor . Thanks for the information David ... How did you figure it out ,, it was the switch .. I'm gonna get back into INPA and see if I can get something about this . Do you know what module to look into ?
    Last edited by H F; 11-19-2014 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    e39
    First find out what stands for door module, for E39 it's PM module in INPA found in Body-Central Body Eletronics ZKEIII...have a look at Body, I believe there you can find it, and for DIS I would suggest to have Rheingold instead of it, have the same functions and more, to learn how to work with the program just read ISTA/P manual it's about 130 pages there described in details...after having Rheingold I don't remember the last time I used DIS or INPA, but still INPA is good if you need a quick look at live data...NCS is for coding, have used only once, SSS Progman is useless, in my opinion, having NCS, WINkfp and Rheingold would be enough for almost any operation with a car, if you're not to change VIN, read EEPROMS etc., then you will need PA Soft...

- - - Updated - - -

and it's seems like you have a static error, which means you need to physically fix it, and only after repair done, the error will display Error curently not present..

My Cars
    2005 545
    Quote Originally Posted by alberttm View Post
    First find out what stands for door module, for E39 it's PM module in INPA found in Body-Central Body Eletronics ZKEIII...have a look at Body, I believe there you can find it, and for DIS I would suggest to have Rheingold instead of it, have the same functions and more, to learn how to work with the program just read ISTA/P manual it's about 130 pages there described in details...after having Rheingold I don't remember the last time I used DIS or INPA, but still INPA is good if you need a quick look at live data...NCS is for coding, have used only once, SSS Progman is useless, in my opinion, having NCS, WINkfp and Rheingold would be enough for almost any operation with a car, if you're not to change VIN, read EEPROMS etc., then you will need PA Soft...

- - - Updated - - -

and it's seems like you have a static error, which means you need to physically fix it, and only after repair done, the error will display Error curently not present..
    Ya ,, I was hoping I would luck out with a reinitialization and not have to fix anything . I will look into to the body modules thx for the help ..

I have NCS Expert, NCS dummy and Winkfp up and running .. Ill look into Rheingold ,, Ive seen it mentioned some where but don't know much about it ..

Rheingold is it part of the ISTA program ?
    Last edited by H F; 11-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    What was the error that BMWhat showed?
    I agree with others that you will need to address that error before the initialization will do any good.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    From memory the error showed up on the ZKE module of the E36. The microswitch detects the first initial movement of the door lock mechanism and sends power to the window motor to crack the window on opening and closing.
    Last edited by David Mc; 11-19-2014 at 06:57 PM.

My Cars
    2005 545
    What was the error that BMWhat showed?
    I agree with others that you will need to address that error before the initialization will do any good.
    Ya I agree too ,, but was hoping a simple reset would do it ...

You know here is what has me puzzled .. I start the car the error pops up on the Idrive . I previously before today I ran BMWhat and got three unrelated steering codes ,6140,6145,CE93 and cleared them ..

I ran BMWhat again and got no errors found , but idrive says anti trap ... Ran INPA same thing all modules clear ,,,had the same three error codes stored that BMWhat had in the AFS module... So Im like what now . Gonna play with DIS see what pops up. I need to get a battery charger so I don't have to keep my car running for an hour while play with the diagnostics ..

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    OK, there is another explanation - if the window glass is difficult to raise (normally due to either the plastic guides having failed, or more commonly due to friction between the glass and the rubber seals), the car will detect that the window motor is drawing too much current, which is the same condition that occurs when your fingers get trapped by closing the window on them. This will often show as a sporadic error, as the condition occurs infrequently. The cure is very simple, just smear some powdered graphite along the window tracks in the door, which will lube the window and after a few cycles, should free it up. Normally this condition occurs on passenger windows, which are cycled less frequently than the drivers' window. I have also encountered this problem which was very easily rectified as I have explained and never reoccurred. Shame I had to pull most of the door apart before I figured it out.

My Cars
    2005 545
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    OK, there is another explanation - if the window glass is difficult to raise (normally due to either the plastic guides having failed, or more commonly due to friction between the glass and the rubber seals), the car will detect that the window motor is drawing too much current, which is the same condition that occurs when your fingers get trapped by closing the window on them. This will often show as a sporadic error, as the condition occurs infrequently. The cure is very simple, just smear some powdered graphite along the window tracks in the door, which will lube the window and after a few cycles, should free it up. Normally this condition occurs on passenger windows, which are cycled less frequently than the drivers' window. I have also encountered this problem which was very easily rectified as I have explained and never reoccurred. Shame I had to pull most of the door apart before I figured it out.
    Great Idea!! .. You know ,, I rarely have people in the back seats and the two back windows don't go all the way down usually . The driver rear is the problem one .. I 'll go down to the hardware store and get some graphite and give this a try .. Thanks man!! great suggestion ,, hope that does the trick .. Ill report back .

My Cars
    2005 545
    O k ,, got this problem solved . Thanks to everyone who posted appreciate the help guys .. Still want to know how to do the procedure on DIS though . But here is the thread I found a procedure that solved my window issue . Post # 11
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=524603

So my steps, and from what I can tell the most complete list.

**** If you window goes up and down with anti trap disabled your motor and regulator are probably ok.

To reinitialize the window follow the list below.

Start the car. Period, no acc or on, just start it.

Go into idrive

Go to service settings

Check error control messages

Open the anti trap message and leave it on screen (this is how idrive knows to allow the reprogramming)

Go to disabled window/door

Sit inside of the car and close the door (listed in BMW tis and allows idrive to know it's ready for reprogram)

Lower the window all the way (5-6 clicks?)

Immediately after it is all the way down and after the last click press and hold the window one touch down (open)

Count to 20 (BMW says you have 15-25 seconds)

At 20 release the button and immediately pull up to one click close position.

*** if window only goes up an inch or two, this didn't work, and you need to restart the process. Worked like a charm on first try when these steps were followed.

If the window goes up completely (it should) then it will close and re open.

Keep holding the button to one touch close window position till the window stops moving completely.

Once complete open and close the window via one touch once. This will remove the exclamation in the dash gauge cluster

Go to idrive and back out of the message and then recheck control messages.

Issue resolved.

My Cars
    '99 323is, '00 323i 528i
    Cool. I'm not familiar with the iDrive stuff at all, so it's nice to learn these extra little steps that make the difference.

My Cars
    2005 545
    Cool. I'm not familiar with the iDrive stuff at all, so it's nice to learn these extra little steps that make the difference.
    I was really surprised when the window rolled up down then back up and the error cleared ,, after trying the switch hold down 1000 times really didn't think it was going to work. Opening the error on the I drive is the trick ! and made all the difference in my situation... Had this car now for 8 yrs ,, and to this day Im still learning it ...

Credit goes to Alpine550 from bimmerfest who made the post in 2011 ..
    Last edited by H F; 11-26-2014 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3; 09 E91
    Hi,
    I'm looking to get copy of Rheingold, but every torrent site I start to DL from has problems...not to mention all of the malware. Where is best place to get clean copy from?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330ci
    I have a '02 330ci the I replaced the passenger side window regulator and motor on. The auto works but after the window drops it catches the seal on the vertical rail when you open the door and has torn it. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to fix this.