Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: no power to fuel pump

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    I have a 93 BMW 325is with a no start issue. It cranks but will not start. It has no fuel and no spark. I also have no power to the fuse 18.
    In following the above thread, I jumped the Fuel pump relay pins 30 to 87 and got power to the fuse, and at the pump under the rear seat and subsequently fuel to the fuel rail.

Steps I've taken:
    1.Tested Crankshaft position sensor =520 ohms

2.Next went to DME;
    DME relay results:
    Pin 85 Pin 86
    Volts with ignition on 0V 12V
    Volts when cranking -0.08V 11.27V

3.I also checked the Fuseable link in the trunk, it looked fine. (The outside insulation was perfect)

I think my issue is DME related but need ideas to solve it! Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah you have a '93 so there's a good chance your DME has corrosion. You can try cleaning it, open up both sides, get a can of Deoxit 5%, spray it down liberally, scrub everything with an old toothbrush, repeat 3x. Let it 1000% dry out.

When things work properly the DME only energizes the fuel pump for 2 seconds.

Post pics of your DME before and after cleaning. Buy the Deoxit its far better than regular contact cleaner (Amazon, eBay, guitar store etc.)
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Yeah you have a '93 so there's a good chance your DME has corrosion. You can try cleaning it, open up both sides, get a can of Deoxit 5%, spray it down liberally, scrub everything with an old toothbrush, repeat 3x. Let it 1000% dry out.

When things work properly the DME only energizes the fuel pump for 2 seconds.

Post pics of your DME before and after cleaning. Buy the Deoxit its far better than regular contact cleaner (Amazon, eBay, guitar store etc.)
    I can give that a shot. However I did try a 'donor' red label 413 and got the 'same no' start condition. The car is currently parked in an outdoor storage space but I do disconnect the DME and leave it inside the car to prevent is from getting wet.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    IMG_0298.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0297.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedBMW View Post
    I can give that a shot. However I did try a 'donor' red label 413 and got the 'same no' start condition. The car is currently parked in an outdoor storage space but I do disconnect the DME and leave it inside the car to prevent is from getting wet.
    The one side I inspected showed no signs of water damage/ entry. The other side would require drilling out that white plastic 'insert' which I don't think I should do just yet incase I damage the dme board. However, I can revisit this step after further verifiable testing steps are carried out.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Unfortunately your pic doesn't have the focus or resolution to see if there is an issue.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    IMG_0299.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Unfortunately your pic doesn't have the focus or resolution to see if there is an issue.
    IMG_0297 (1).jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

My Cars
    1997 328i
    DME looks good, you should be able to squeeze and push the plastic plug out from that side. The board looks like its been coated by someone.

My Cars
    e36 328i

bmw e36 fuel pump issue

i got a e36, the fuel pump isnt getting any power/not turning on

black plug at fuel pump reading 0 volts

someone help

- - - Updated - - -

first post

My Cars
    e36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Avec View Post
    Just realized it said 'furnish' instead of "fuse". Autocorrect gone haywire.

The Fuel pump relay's hot side comes directly from the battery, then to the fuse, then to the pump. Check for voltage at the hot side of the relay. There must be voltage there, because other than a loose connection or freak wire break, it will be there. Then, jump the correct terminals on the relay and check for voltage at the fuse. Make sure to check both sides of the fuse. This will confirm the fuse is good. After that, check voltage at the pump. You should also the grounds.

The bentley manual has a good wiring diagram section. Find the PDF version and download it. Well worth it. I use the wiring diagram quite a bit.
    u still around? i have some fuel issues with my e36 right now

My Cars
    1997 328i
    wizkid, start a new thread and include all obersevations. use the search feature cause all these problems have be gone over, learn as much as you can.

My Cars
    e36 328i
    gotcha, it was my first post i was unsure on how to go about doing such haha thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234