Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38 audio upgrade

My Cars
    1998 Bmw 750il
    My car has "dsp" but only has 2 rear deck speakers or subwoofers. I was under the impression that it should have 4. Both of mine are blown (old age and p.o.) I want to replace them but was hoping the bav sound kit included them. Do I need to find 8 oms rear subs?

My Cars
    X5 & 540i Msport
    I would consider this as well but being in Canada the cost of getting them here is brutal

My Cars
    2000 740iL Aspen Silver
    I would consider participating in a group buy. But I can't imagine it being more than 10% off

My Cars
    2012 F10 550i
    For those of you who mentioned interest in the group buy, I did get authorization to do 20% off, as well as free shipping assuming we can get 10 interested parties. This means $400 shipped to your door. See the thread below for full details!

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2146155-E38-Bavsound-Stage-1-Speaker-Upgrade-Group-Buy&p=28137480#post28137480
    BAVSOUND | BMW Audio, Made Simple
    www.bavsound.com | 404-381-1800

My Cars
    BMW 750il
    Can anyone give me an update on there experience with bavsound the company and how there speakers sound in an e38?
    As well as some advice on what to replace the rear deck subs with and I would like to keep the factory box setup

My Cars
    BMW 750il
    Anyone?

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    You need to search around a bit to find some feedback on the Bavsound upgrade. I beleive the reviews are largely positive, but the difference befween the new speakers and your factory speakers is not enormous if your factory speakers are not shot with bad surrounds.

For the rear deck sub search "Monsoon upgrade" or find the "how I got deep bass from my factory enclosure" thread by dville. Basically get four VW Monsoon speakers from the junkyard for cheap and install them in the factory enclosure for a big difference in sound.

I still need to do this upgrade.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    BMW 750il
    Thanks

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Has anyone unplugged the 3/4" tweeters and just ran 1" and 5.25" component sets in their car? Do i really need the 3/4" speakers?

And yes, I know I'm being cheap lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    I refoamed my 4 door speakers surrounds (until I get some funds up for an upgrade etc.)... the refoam kit off ebay is like $30, I hammer my speakers and no problems with it .... you'll need the measurements from the speakers in the doors, if you do a complete refoam pull all 4 door speakers and get them all done at the same time or the glue can go bad.....

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by chemmech View Post
    I refoamed my 4 door speakers surrounds (until I get some funds up for an upgrade etc.)... the refoam kit off ebay is like $30, I hammer my speakers and no problems with it .... you'll need the measurements from the speakers in the doors, if you do a complete refoam pull all 4 door speakers and get them all done at the same time or the glue can go bad.....
    Mine are all deteriorated so I'm replacing everything but 3/4s in front. I'm just wondering if you really lose the highs by unplugging. If so, I'll order new ones too

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    3/4" is that the tweeters? depends factory amplifier has separate amplifiers (12 separate discrete amplified channels are in the dsp amplifier dsp unit total) for the woofers mids and highs up front if it's all factory unplugging the tweeters you will lose highs if it's the mids that are "3/4s in front" my guess is it may sound a bit like the rear seating areas but I believe the highs up front factory may not be exactly as high as the rears not sure though.....removing the mids up front (not recommended) but may sound a bit crisper up front is my guess.....

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    3/4" is that the tweeters? depends factory amplifier has separate amplifiers (12 separate discrete amplified channels are in the dsp amplifier dsp unit total) for the woofers mids and highs up front if it's all factory unplugging the tweeters you will lose highs if it's the mids that are "3/4s in front" my guess is it may sound a bit like the rear seating areas but I believe the highs up front factory may not be exactly as high as the rears not sure though.....removing the mids up front (not recommended) but may sound a bit crisper up front is my guess.....
    So the front doors on DSP have one 5.25" mid woofer and two tweeters (1" and .75"). Seems like one is for mid highs and other high highs. I guess I'll give it a go and see how it sounds

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    so uh the 0.750" driver is actually a tweeter huh ok then with that speaker unplugged there will be loss of treble definitely will need another one if that's the issue, with the 1" driver there will be a loss of coherency if the 1" mid range is unplugged in the the midrange freq. ..... in the front upper driver assembly the tweeter is the smallest driver / speaker.....

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    so uh the 0.750" driver is actually a tweeter huh ok then with that speaker unplugged there will be loss of treble definitely will need another one if that's the issue, with the 1" driver there will be a loss of coherency if the 1" mid range is unplugged in the the midrange freq. ..... in the front upper driver assembly the tweeter is the smallest driver / speaker.....
    Ahhh ok. I thought the 5.25" was midrange and those both high. I'll check the condition of 0.75". If it's shot, I'll leave for now and upgrade the rest then order.

These damn luxury cars have too many speakers! AND for some reason BMWs loves to use speaker material that crumbles with sun. Appreciate the help!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Talk about revival of an old thread... This is what I decided to go with and 3 years later, the speakers still work great and added an Alpine MRV-M500 amp with 12" sub (way overkill for the setup). These speakers are likely no longer available BUT, at least you can get the specs and find something close if needed to accomplish what I did.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...onsoon-thread)

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    how did you put the sub in the car? in the trunk facing thru the rear center armrest or rear shelf area, that's what's keeping me from putting a 12"subwoofer in the car not sure about the best way to get it installed....

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    how did you put the sub in the car? in the trunk facing thru the rear center armrest or rear shelf area, that's what's keeping me from putting a 12"subwoofer in the car not sure about the best way to get it installed....
    I have a ported box facing the trunk with an Alpine 12 and combined with the Alpine MRV-M500 mono amp, it is PLENTY loud. I don't blast my music with the windows down so everyone can hear... and even then I keep the remote gain set < 1/4 for balance but the sub really is overkill. the 250w amp would have been a better pick Since I have yet to listen to the sub with the gain at 1/2 or above as it drowns out the speakers very easily.

My Cars
    1997 740iL BMW 03862
    nice to hear about that placement can be covert with no mods etc. I might have to install some older stuff I still have..... rockford fosgate 200x2 run in mono just a 12" subwoofer with it ..... for freeway driving or out my area drives etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12