Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at getting back into a bimmer, need some input, 6 speed or SMG?

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    If you're really serious about this car be prepared to have a lump of money put on the side for major repairs. SMG is a big one, the rod bearings are another. Brakes at the dealer are $4k, parts alone for the brakes are $2k if you want to do it yourself.
    Also, only consider model years '08 thru '10. They had many improvements to the internal engine components as well as the interior and iDrive.
    The best source for all of this info is over on the other boards that was mentioned before. There isn't one single topic that hasn't been covered over there.
    Take your time and don't rush with one of these cars. I was looking for about a year before I bought my '08. It had 58k miles and now has 79k miles and I've been blessed so far with no issues. I've just done the usual fluid changes. The guy I bought it from was super anal with the car and all of the service requirements. He kept all records of everything he did.

That's the kind of car you need to find along with that type of owner. There are many horror stories of these cars, but it's mainly due to people looking for the cheapest M5 as opposed to the best M5 that they can get. I hope this helped.

M5board.com has it all for you.

My Cars
    E60 and E31
    My SMG clutch fried at around 95k. Either tranny you are better off to shift it yourself. Never driven 6mt therefore cannot comment. For SMG it is a blast to shift and forgiving to rev matching, handy on track. As a daily driver 6mt is probably less annoying as you don't have to cycle through all the gears to shift as in SMG manual mode. Not sure about final drive ratio top speed of 6mt but sure you can find at the other forum.

My Cars
    850Ci,V10M6,B7L,640,328,
    The SMG is a joy to drive in my opinion. But when mine was coming off of the original warranty my old service guy (I have since moved) that I really trusted with all of my BMWs told me to consider an extended warranty just for the SMG. They were having a "special" on them at the time in 2011 and I extended warranty but but service for 4 additional years out to 2015 and up to 75k miles. Now my M6 generally sits in the garage next to the other big coupe, an 850Ci, so the M only has 36k miles. But it just went into the shop due to an SMG failure warning coming up three times. Turned out to be the clutch sensor which ran $2200. This is about the third item I have had done under the warranty which ran a little under $4k so it has paid out.

I agree with the post above about finding the best cared for car. That is how it is with 8 series cars too. I was lucky to find mine where the original owner had the car serviced annually kept every receipt, never took it out in the rain even and babied and pampered it. So now it has 45k miles and looks new.

You can use an M5/6 as a daily driver but the maintenance and care will be a big expense. Plan for it, find a good to great independent service guy that knows what he is doing and you will be fine. But if you don't plan for it you will be hit with some huge bills for unique items.

My Cars
    e60 M5 | e46 M3 | e70 X5
    We have and SMG M3 and 6spd M5. I prefer the 6spd manual, too many components involved with SMG systems that have potential to go bad and end up being costly. Besides, the real question is - do you want to be in control yourself or do you want your car to do it for you? =)
    Current rides: e60 M5 6spd white/red, e46 M3 w/SMG white/red | Ex-cars: e39 528iA w/sprt pkg white/tan, e36 328i sedan black/grey, e30 318is 5spd red/black, e46 328ci w/sprt pkg black/tan, two other e39's

My Cars
    M3, GLK 350
    You buy one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gato View Post
    Having some racism in a country with this many black people is necessary.

Black people are always going to be a little bit lazy.

My Cars
    M3, GLK 350
    Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by gato View Post
    Having some racism in a country with this many black people is necessary.

Black people are always going to be a little bit lazy.

My Cars
    2007 E64 M6 Convertible
    I really enjoy the 6MT in my M6, definitely a weekend fun car. An MB AMG challenged me the other and I took him easily at P400. I was a qt low on oil and was afraid to switch over to P500.

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    88 M3,94 840Ci, 06 M6
    SMG! U almost get the best of both worlds: Auto & Man! But with the SMG u get Super car driving with the Paddles!

SMG!
    It's the Machine in Me!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    No smg, manual trans, far less complicated

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650I
    Get an 08 or newer (upgraded smg). For every car payment you make you need to match that same amount and put it into a car fund.

I just did front brake pads (just the pads) and they costed 300.00 (I did labor).

Rodbearings can go at anytime for 5k for so. Oil change will cost 150.00 just for the oil. One rotor is 450.00.

Nothing wrong with getting one, but know the potential issues. Rodbearings, throttle actuators, smg and vanos)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12