Thread: why is my car eating up SO much gas?

My Cars
    95 BMW 325is. STOCK.

why is my car eating up SO much gas?

i filled up my car yesteray at around 830.. i was basically empty so i filled it up full.

checked the range on the car and it said.. +360 miles.. so im thinking sweeeeeeeeeeeet. i love it when my car has gas. lol

i drive to go pick up my little brother and the range gradually goes down and is at about +345.. get to pick up my brother and it says +305 miles.. get home and it's at +300...

turn my car on today and i notice it had burned almost 1/4 a tank.. wtf? i just got gas yesterady at 830PM and now it's almost a whole half tank gone..

i dont drive my car that hard either. always go speed limit..

im SO confused..

gas is expensive.. i dont wanna have to go fill up again a day or two after i filled up cuz my car is at half tank or almost empty.

really making me mad.

what's wrong with my car? is there anything wrong? this happen to anyone else?

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5
    Do you have a MPG setting on the OBC/ Trip Computer?

What RPM are you at when you are on the highway? What RPM do you shift at normally?

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    Maybe your fuel sending unit is defective? Mine was and it had to be replaced. For my car, they had to cut a hole in the carpeting behind the seats to get to the unit. So now theres a large piece of carpet that opens up like a door when you put the seat all the way up. This might not be the case with you though. I'm not sure

My Cars
    95 BMW 325is. STOCK.
    i just dont see how it can go from +360 miles last night (granted it always is a high range when you first fill up then adapts to where you're driving like city or highway).. to as of right now.. 233 miles range..

the MPG says 19.8 MPG everytime.

when i'm on the highway.. i'd say.. going 65 at about 3000 rpm.

car's auto.. so i dont shift. lol

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5
    Ok, hmmm. I can tell you from my experience at the pump I usually get about 280 miles to go on the trip computer right after I fill up. That is when I have about a 21 MPG efficiency. If I fill up after a long highway trip the computer will show 340ish right after I fill up. It takes the most recent consumption and determines what how long the tank will last using with it.

Now I would doubt that you would get 350+ miles a tank with a 19.8 mpg consumption. 19.8 seems a little low, but you have an auto....

The best way to determine your consumption is to see how many miles you put on it before you fill up again (say at lease down to 1/8 tank.) I usually get about 250 and have about 30 miles left on the trip computer. Just drive like you normally do, and make a mental note of how many highway miles you put on.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5
    Oh, 1 quick question. Do you reset the average consumption and speed after a fill up?

I'd reset both of those and your trip odometer to gather more data.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    Did you change gas stations? I think defferent stations add more additives "fillers". I noticed my MPG varies 20-30 miles per tank depending on stations. just my 2 cents. btw my driving is the same every day. 120 miles all hwy everyday

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    it could be many reasons. if it keeps happening and the following itmes havent been replaced like they should, changing them out will improve your gas mileage significantly.

1. air filter
    2. spark plugs
    3. fuel filter
    4. O2 sensor(usually your Check Engine light will come on if it's bad)
    ... also try running some premium chevron w/ techron for a while ... maybe a full tank with some freeway driving over 3k rpms.

hope it helps.
    good luck.

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    also IIRC ... autos get better gas mileage on the freeway than manuals on the E36 because of the taller gears in the auto.

... anyhow don't expect to get more than ~320 miles on a full tank(significantly less if you drive around town with the A/C on).

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    could also be the injectors, how many miles does ur car have?

My Cars
    328IS, 97
    26 on highway and 23 for me with the same model.....yeah it's weird, just try changing filter/plugs like it has been mentioned eariler.

My Cars
    95 BMW 325is. STOCK.
    well it said 360 miles on the range.. that really surprised me.. never been that high. usually is about 320 most it ever was.. +340 after i filled up all the way.

car just hit 100,000 like 2-3 months ago.. has about 101,500 right now.

i checked the MPG and it said 19.8MPG.. does that normally change or generally stay the same? each time i've checked it is says 19.8.

only use amoco.. my dad's anal about what kind of gas we use. lol he only wants amoco premium in the cars. no clue why.

My Cars
    I'm betting your MPG reading is an average from a long time running, that has not been reset in a long time. And your "Miles til empty" reading is based on calculations from immediate readings.

I'd pay more attention to the fuel gauge and less to the computer for a while, and measure the mpg yourself and see if it adds up...

My Cars
    E36 325i
    You may have a gas leak? . . . do you smell gas when you fill it up?

I just noticed I have one. I filled up and a couple of days went by and I lost a 1/4 tank too. No puddles of gas on ground.

If so here's a DIY link: http://home.earthlink.net/~frankie66...uelsender.html

Hope it helps

My Cars
    03 M3 TiAg; 94 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence1
    also IIRC ... autos get better gas mileage on the freeway than manuals on the E36 because of the taller gears in the auto.

... anyhow don't expect to get more than ~320 miles on a full tank(significantly less if you drive around town with the A/C on).
    I get 400+ highway miles in one fill up....27-28 mpg

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    At least in my experience, the first quarter of the gas gauge in an E36 goes the fastest. In my car, that first quarter vanishes in like 30 miles, but the tank gives me at least 255 miles of nitrous-assisted blastin around town before it turns on the fuel light. So like the smart people said, just set your trip meter when you fill up, watch your gas gauge, and see what mileage you're actually gettin.
    The weak and the failures shall perish, and they shall be given every possible assistance.

325i auto.: 18" SSR GT1s/BFG KDW2s, NX wet kit with all the goodies, Cosmos CAI, Koni Sport suspension kit, H&R sway bars.

My Cars
    87 325is, 97 528i, S40
    The computer is not always right. Drive the car until the light comes on and put 10 gallons in drive until the light comes on again and do the math you get very accurate millage reading. Also take a look a your throttle body if it has some black gunk around it clean it out and that will help you out as well. also when was the last time you replaced the plugs. Always used 93+ in your car nothing less. Don't drive your car so nicely. As fo instance in my old m5 If I just putt around for a few days she runs horrible. Bmw's are made to run 5k + all day long. Ince a day run her through the gears just below redline and then run her softly. You will notice your car running better and eventhoug you hop on the gas the millage will go up. good luck.
    "I never realized how fast a slow car can be until I went to the track."
    *Eibach Springs 450/600
    *Custom 4 point cage
    *1993 Mazda RX-7 TT 4 piston calipers with floating rotors.
    *Turner chip
    *19# injectors
    *Miller MAF and 19# Chip
    *AEM dry flow filter with heatshield

1991 325is for sale (in parts)
    1988 BMW e28 M5 (Sold
    1997 BMW 528i
    2006 Volvo S40
    K&N Pannel Filter

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    just FYI, I have own 2 325's. all hwy I get 320 tops per tank. I have owned 2 318's. I get 420 tops per tank. my 528, I get 340 per tank all hwy. Mixed driving is about 20% less across the board

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by socalbimmer
    I get 400+ highway miles in one fill up....27-28 mpg
    i got very close to that (~380) but that was all freeway driving @ 75 MPH constantly ... and if i were to be doing 65ish the whole time i'm sure the 400+ miles on a full tank could be achieved...unfortunately many people nowadays drive over 65(me included) when on the freeway.

*btw ... when i said ~320 i was reffering to mixed driving.

My Cars
    Couple of Bimmers
    I made it from Sac to LA on one tank one time at a stead 72mph.

Anyway, like someone said, check the fuel filters and O2 sensor. Its not uncommon to see better gas mileage after a tuneup.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Mine too right now. I used shitty free gas @ work and all of the sudden, BAM! 360 miles on a tank. I am going to change the O2, plugs and fuel filter this weekend. Keep us all posted
    Got a new bimmer. 2006 e90. 330i. More to come. First big boy car.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    You don't get an expensive gas, guys, please stop complaining. It's around 2.50 US dollars a gallon here and most people don't make more than 800 USD a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    2016 M3 Manual
    ^ and what octane is that?

i'm guessing it's higher than the 91 we get in cali. i'm tired of people pointing to european gas prices and saying oh my... gas is so much cheaper in the US and all that crap.

it is cheaper for a reason ... i.e in cali the highest octane widely available is 91. in europe i think the lowest is 98 but i can't remember exactly.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Thank you all, I appreciate it taking the time to write your message thank you