Thread: Brake Pad Sensor Question HELP!!!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is

Brake Pad Sensor Question HELP!!!

Hey, my brake pad wear sensor was tripped the other day, now the light on my dash is illuminated. Does anyone know a way to turn the light off with out replacing the pads? Ive gone in under the driver side and snipped the wires leading from caliper (not the hydrolic sensor) with no luck. Does anyone have a way to do this, or atleast tell me how the mechanism works so i can devise my own way.
    Current: 1993 Dodge Stealth RT/TT

• MBC @ 14 PSI
    • 3" Downpipe
    • Front Pre-Cat Eliminated
    • Main Cat Eliminated

1992 BMW 325is. ****Totaled****

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    why don't you want to replace the pads? the sensor is there for a purpose

My Cars
    '95 M3
    The sensor is just a pair of wires. When the pads wear the sensor is rubbed against the rotor and wears, it causes an open in the circuit which triggers the light on your dash. Which is why when you cut the wires the light didn't turn off. The sensors cost $10 to replace give or take.

Again, why don't you want to replace the pads?

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Inside the wire you cut is two conductors. If you tie them together, the light will go out. But to repeat the previously asked questions, why don't you want to replace your pads? They're obviously worn. If you don't replace them, they will continue to wear and you'll eventually be rubbing metal-on-metal, which won't stop your car all that well.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    I have a feelling im gonna get yelled at. The reason I want to get the light to go out, is because 2 days from now im trading it in on a 325 and i need all the money i can get from it, i dont feel like spending a whack of money on a car im getting rid of. The weird thing is, after what i did before, the light now went out, but keeps coming back on some times when i brake, and goes off again for no reason, can anyone explain what is happening here?

• MBC @ 14 PSI
    • 3" Downpipe
    • Main Cat Eliminated

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    Its happened to me too. It came and went for a bit then stayed on. I didn't think that was possible, but I saw it with my own 2 eyes. If you know how to use a socket wrench and a c clamp and how to jack your car up, you can change the pads for cheap yourself and save the poor sucker you are trying to swindle the danger of not knowing his brakes are close to failing.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCape
    I have a feelling im gonna get yelled at. The reason I want to get the light to go out, is because 2 days from now im trading it in on a 325 and i need all the money i can get from it, i dont feel like spending a whack of money on a car im getting rid of.
    That's a sure-fire way to get yourself sued.

Imagine the next owner's shock when he tries to stop the car and discovers he can't. Then imagine that one of your friends or loved ones is the next owner of your car.

Suck it up. Spend the money on new pads and a new sensor before trading the car in.

My Cars
    bmw/volvo
    in that case, just tell the buyer that the brakes need to be changed. just leave it alone...the buyer will be happy to know that you're being honest
    2007 Odyssey EX-L RES (mods Birtax Regent & Roundabout)
    1994 Volvo 850 (mods Britax Marathon)

had
    1992 325i sold 10/1991 build 325i (Dinan chip, Eibach springs, 99 M3 muffler)
    1994 Accord EX-L sedan (stolen!)
    1972 Pontiac Grand Ville coupe (that's 455 cu in!)

not so secretly wants
    Ferrari 575 Maranello/599 GTB F1

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    Ya, well the buyer is the dealer, but im debating wether or not to leave it, but i dunno if i can afford the difference in trade in value. (all prices from here on are in CDN) i need to be able to get the 1992 325is within a difference of 6k, meaning i need to be able to get 4-5k trade in.

• MBC @ 14 PSI
    • 3" Downpipe
    • Main Cat Eliminated

My Cars
    1996 328i

Twist the wires and your will get yours in return!!!!

Atleast leave it as is with the light on if you aren't going to change the pads.

My Cars
    Nissan Altima Limited Ed
    did you cut the ground? If not that take the fuse out.

Thats what the last owner did....i found that a week ago when I changed the brakes and rotors. :

My Cars
    05 Mustang GT, 92 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by ExCape
    Ya, well the buyer is the dealer, but im debating wether or not to leave it, but i dunno if i can afford the difference in trade in value. (all prices from here on are in CDN) i need to be able to get the 1992 325is within a difference of 6k, meaning i need to be able to get 4-5k trade in.
    Well, if it's a dealer, he's not gonna give a damn if the light is on, but he might if you've tampered with sensors...

Buy a cheap-shit set of $20 pads and throw them on there....
    -Boondoggie