Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Door Panel Top Rails

My Cars
    E36 323i Schwarz 2 , E3
    *my two cents.

The rails need to have the same curve that flyfishvt mentioned. And they need to have the same depth and thickness in order for the clips to latch in/onto the rails properly.

I was lucky enough to find uncracked replacement rails in a junk jards.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    All three pieces in the kit are identical.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    All three pieces in the kit are identical.
    but it's still three separate pieces. Not one solid straight piece. With three you can create a curve. Correct?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I don't have a curve at all on mine. The door doesn't have a curve. The door panel top edge doesn't have a curve. Why would the rail have a curve? The rail I have doesn't have a curve?

My Cars
    E36 323i Schwarz 2 , E3
    ( not my pic. )

pretty sure there is a curve in there i had te reglue both my panels from scratch and only intended to do it once, so i spent a decent amount of time studying and prepping them.
    there is even a little ridge in the outside so its evenly spaced out so the door panel "leather" sits flush with the rail.

i did not mean length wise but seen from the side of the rails.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    but it's still three separate pieces. Not one solid straight piece. With three you can create a curve. Correct?
    They attach to the card, and the card attaches to the door. Easy peasy. Somebody once posted "don't over think it".

My Cars
    96 318is
    My rail is still on the door, lol.😉 How should I get it off?uploadfromtaptalk1442440338921.jpg
    If it involves lowering the window I'm SOL cause my windows have been stuck up since day 1 haha. I saw some clips under the rail though. Does it just slide up and out or what? Scarey cause they're flimsy and brittle.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by travys View Post
    My rail is still on the door, lol. How should I get it off?uploadfromtaptalk1442440338921.jpg
    If it involves lowering the window I'm SOL cause my windows have been stuck up since day 1 haha. I saw some clips under the rail though. Does it just slide up and out or what? Scarey cause they're flimsy and brittle.
    It will crumble. NO problem there !!!!

My Cars
    96 318is
    ^This^ Lol.😉 Yea with my luck if it was made of steel there'd still be some issue. Sheesh!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    I don't have a curve at all on mine. The door doesn't have a curve. The door panel top edge doesn't have a curve. Why would the rail have a curve? The rail I have doesn't have a curve?
    Yes it does.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    So what? When the three pieces are properly installed, the panel snaps into place perfectly. I think that is what they are meant to do. And ....... they do.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    If you want the dimensions of the slot I can get you that. I have a spare panel I can measure. If you're looking to reproduce the original piece you'll run into some issues unless you have one in front of you. Towards the front there is a slight curve (look very close at a panel). All of the slots are not spaced evenly.
    I mentioned the curve because of this......

Quote Originally Posted by FuelCell250 View Post
    I'm not looking to copy this guy's part... I'm really just looking for the dimensions of the slot on the original BMW part so I can design and model a replacement.
    Nothing to do with the 3 piece replacement. Let's move on
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 09-16-2015 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    1997 318i, 1997 328i
    I would assume that this part is unobtanium from normal sources? Does anyone know the part number? I couldn't find it on RealOEM.
    Joel

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    NONE of the parts that make up a door card (the pockets or any of the plastic parts that were attached to the back of the door card) are available. That is why the three piece "kit" has value. I have now installed three sets. Great results.

My Cars
    1997 318i, 1997 328i
    Has anyone used these metal clips? They look like the accomplish the same task (although they probably put more stress on the door panel). I have no glue residue from plastic clips on mine, and I question whether there were any plastic clips there at all.
    Joel

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelCell250 View Post
    Has anyone used these metal clips? They look like the accomplish the same task (although they probably put more stress on the door panel). I have no glue residue from plastic clips on mine, and I question whether there were any plastic clips there at all.
    The clips are mounted on the door for the top rail. I haven't install my yet but I noticed there are some missing on my doors. I ordered a bunch of them to have it on hand when I do the door panel repair.

My Cars
    96 318is
    How much is the door rail set? Please pm me I'll probably need one for each side jobs st in case.

Btw I cant get the bottom of my drvrsside doorcard to connect. Maybe the doorcard is warped but longer clips might do it. I can take pics if anybodys interested in havin a looksee. Are there larger pins/clips I can use?
    Last edited by travys; 11-18-2015 at 08:53 PM.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    The "kit" is about $45 each.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Hi Guys

I haven't even notice this post. Last year was bumpy for me and sorry for any lack of communication.

I've shipped a LOT of these kits and I'm getting 100% satisfaction from customers.

These are injection molded. I made them thicker so they are more sturdy and that the peace sits upright on the clip.
    As for the price, someone said its steep. Mold it self was $6500 so you can see that its self has be recouped.

If anyone has idea for other parts that are hard to get please let me know. If there is enough people interested in the part to crowdfund the production I can make more parts with same quality.
    Go to fundthatpart.com and submit the part needed.

My Cars
    135is, 335i, 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by FundThatPart View Post
    Hi Guys

I haven't even notice this post. Last year was bumpy for me and sorry for any lack of communication.

I've shipped a LOT of these kits and I'm getting 100% satisfaction from customers.

These are injection molded. I made them thicker so they are more sturdy and that the peace sits upright on the clip.
    As for the price, someone said its steep. Mold it self was $6500 so you can see that its self has be recouped.

If anyone has idea for other parts that are hard to get please let me know. If there is enough people interested in the part to crowdfund the production I can make more parts with same quality.
    Go to fundthatpart.com and submit the part needed.
    It's been 9 days since you accepted my Paypal payment, and I have heard nothing from you, and no response to my email inquiries. Your website now requires authentication to access it.

I find your "100% customer satisfaction" claim doubtful, or at least in jeopardy. What's the deal?

My Cars
    1998 328is
    PM Send.

My Cars
    135is, 335i, 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by FundThatPart View Post
    PM Send.
    Thanks - please ship asap.

My Cars
    135is, 335i, 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by mystreba View Post
    It's been 9 days since you accepted my Paypal payment, and I have heard nothing from you, and no response to my email inquiries. Your website now requires authentication to access it.

I find your "100% customer satisfaction" claim doubtful, or at least in jeopardy. What's the deal?
    Just an update that the guys at Fundthatpart came through and resolved the issue. Sometimes things just get off track.

My Cars
    1996 BMW e36 318 is
    Still there 5 years later ? ☺️
    Hello, My name is Amine and I recently bought a 1996 e36 318 is coupe, and, as you would expect, I have exactly the same issue than you all, DOOR PANELS ! You really did a very good job guys I read all the posts, and I will go for the FundThatPart option.
    My question is that the two other black vertical parts (in which inserts the clips) are also broken/ old in my case. In attempt to have a no rattle door card, I would like to restore them as well.
    Have you ever done so ? Is there any aftermarket for these parts too like for the top one ? If not so, should I just glue them and if I do it will it be stable ? Thank you every one for what you have already helped me about

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneNeph View Post
    Still there 5 years later ? ☺️
    Hello, My name is Amine and I recently bought a 1996 e36 318 is coupe, and, as you would expect, I have exactly the same issue than you all, DOOR PANELS ! You really did a very good job guys I read all the posts, and I will go for the FundThatPart option.
    My question is that the two other black vertical parts (in which inserts the clips) are also broken/ old in my case. In attempt to have a no rattle door card, I would like to restore them as well.
    Have you ever done so ? Is there any aftermarket for these parts too like for the top one ? If not so, should I just glue them and if I do it will it be stable ? Thank you every one for what you have already helped me about

This depends on how well you do it. I glued mine with epoxy and it lasted as long as I owned the car, and I assume is still going strong. Get some clips (they look like those giant paper clips that hold an entire bundle of documents, but bigger) so you can apply your glue then use the clips to hold it together as the glue dries.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast