Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Door Panel Top Rails

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck

Door Panel Top Rails

Good Evening Everyone,

I remember a couple of months ago that someone was looking into manufacturing a replacement piece for the top rail of the door panels in the E36. I'm sure you all know the piece I'm talking about its thin, plastic, and breaks when you look at it the wrong way. I recently rebuilt my door panels and had them re-upholstered. The only thing wrong with them is the are slack along the top of the door panel because they are not attached to anything. I want to get this taken care of because the squeaks and rattles it makes annoys me to no end. If anyone knows of the status of such a replacement piece or any other viable alternate solutions please respond. I'm sure there are others who are in the same situation.

Thanks

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    e21 x2 e34 m5 x2 e31 x2
    if someone can get me some detailed pictures of a good condition rail. i'll look into getting them made

most of my family is in the metal/engineering trade so it shouldn't be much of an issue i imagine...

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    The dimensions of the rail are the same for four or two door panels. Just two door sills are obvi longer. Use the same connecting pins to the same ledge on the door.

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Someone get this man some pictures. Unfortunately all of mine are in pieces, searching internet to try and find some pictures.

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    I will try to remember tomorrow with the car. I have the door panels off as well and if you end up coming up with something I would definitely take a bulk order. Thank you.

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    Please do. I'm sure there are many of us who would like a solution for this.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Thank you. I already forgot as I am just out of treatment session today again and trying to get enough energy to get to work again on the car. I will be there shortly and will remember this time to get those pic's. I have the door panel ready. I've been putting off starting the repair process but today is the day. Soundproofing is done so no more procrastinating. K just figured out how to add pics and ill have them up within the hour.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Sorry for the wait. I have taken some pics but they aren't that great due to lighting. Here they are and the piece in need of is the long black piece running along the top of the door card. I will get some better pics tomorrow with better light. And a new phone on that note . OK after all that now it tells me my pics are too big for each one. What the heck? This is the kinda stuff that makes me really want to give up on technology but none the less I'll try again tomorrow. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks I'm just not the tech savy type. I prefer motors and race gas!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Does anyone know if they're the same for coupes and sedans?

Estoril, sounds like you need to resize the pic before uploading it. Simply, right-click on the pic and click "Edit". It should open Paint, then in top left corner you find "Resize" option, click on it and then resize it to let's say 50%. Then you should be able to upload it

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    OK thank you very much. That was helpful. I am using my phone to take pictures and upload . Can I do that or do I need to load of them to my laptop? Thank you and I will try again today. I believe the door panels are a different size for coupes and sedans so I believe the top strip maybe a bit shorter for the sedan door panels then they are for the coupes but don't quote me on that per say. It could have the same size strip but panels are definitely a different size and shape in a way being the handles and such being there on a sedan.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    No problem I think it'd be easier for you to do it on the laptop. I don't know if you can resize pics on your phone. From what I know you can crop them, not sure on resizing.

Also, I can take one of my panels off and meaaure it and upload pics with my measurements. That way we could compare our panels to find out if they're different or not.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    @SVD115, message sent

Cmon guys, I wanna my door panels to fit nicely lol.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Working on door panels now. I'll see what I can do.

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    subscribed... definitely interested in seeing a solution, as I also have my panels off the car....

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    I sure would like to know as well.

My Cars
    96 328is, 540i/6 (sold)
    I think my passenger side is intact(e36 coupe) if that helps. My driver's side is in about 3 or 4 pieces but still holds the panel up, barely.

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    Nobody posted pics yet? I will get some this weekend... will report back.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Still can't load pics from phone. But the repair and regluing is going well. Will post details and tips shortly. Construction adhesive and some primer maybe is really all you need! Locktite new stuff in caulk tube at Home depot is definitely doing the trick. Sorry about the pics. I'll try again with laptop as soon as I can.

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    Cold day today.... Will be warmer tomorrow... Will take pics then..

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    In regards to that original post about the door panel pieces i was involved with that. It was the one with the two guys in the video i forget the name. They sent me some prototype pieces to test and i've been lagging on using them. The pieces they manufactured will work they just need a little fine tuning. It's partially my fault i was supposed to get ahold of them to talk about things but i've been lagging. Someone bump up that original thread so i can update with what i know. These guys are trying hard and the design will work it's just a matter of making sure they have a solid product if they're gonna sell them to make sure you guys are happy.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Bump! Heck yeah. That's a real move now. Some aftermarket door panel brackets. Can't believe I hadn't started or someone started selling these a long time ago. Keep us informed too for sure. People just need to be able to buy these and know where to go to do so . Thanks. Mine have been in good shape with one broken and just reglued and just finished thankfully and I've got them all redone and I will load photos for sure on the computer before extinction. Lol. I swear. Thanks for your help and putting that together. Get those brackets out there. And get you a cut off the top or really take a revolving commission and never look back. Lol

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    A friend of mine does a lot of work developing need gadgets that he prototypes, has produced in China, and sells here via Amazon, Walmart, etc. I have a left and right top rail for a coupe that he is going to look at. Given his access people in the US, he will look into the feasibility of small batch production.

So, instead of looking at what producing them will cost, I would like to get a feel for what people will pay for a pair of rails. So ...............

What are they worth to YOU? The reason I am asking is that it would be best to have a price range so as to not waste someones time. The people that may be able to produce them would know pretty quickly as to how viable it is.
    Last edited by snaponbob; 12-23-2014 at 08:42 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    It got too cold this week, and I haven't been working on my car at all, and that's why I haven't done/uploaded pics yet
    Whenever I feel more like doing this (not having garage sucks) I'll upload some pics

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    I have the pics, but other than showing the profile and shape of the clip area, I didnt know what else to take. Will upload once I get home.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    He needs all the measurements too

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast