As I had a change of heart recently, and decided not to install a double-din head unit with rear view capability in my 850, rather to keep the MID, and install a CD43 with a Bluebus instead, I still wanted a rear view camera, and ideally a dashcam also.

The problem was, after ordering one that was advertised as having a BMW mount, I discovered that the mount was not correctly shaped to attach to the windscreen, and clear the headliner.

After spending some time on Amazon, I discovered an adapter that screws into the back of the type of camera-capable rear view mirror that would normally strap onto your existing rear view mirror, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085RNM1LF
I would discard the mount that came with it, but use the adapter plate.
51-i2V+rz+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
The mirror I chose was this, giving me a backup camera, and a front-facing dash cam. Model is VanTop H610, although there are many mirrors that share the same bolt pattern at the rear for the adapter. Simply remove the attached clips at the rear of the mirror and screw up the adapter plate instead.
vantop-action-camera-copy-of-vantop-h610-mirror-dash-cam-2-5k-hd-15232981368941_2048x (1).jpg
I then had a lucky find on eBay, and found an E90 style mirror bracket reproduction, that looked like it might screw to the adapter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254710045591

s-l1600.jpg

After waiting a few weeks for the E90 mirror bracket, the mirror adapter, and the mirror to arrive, I then spent some time today figuring out how to screw them together. The end goal was to have a bracket, that I could re-use to screw up to the latest and greatest camera mirror that may release over the next couple of years.

I had to use a couple of pieces of 1/8 ABS, and 4x machine screws/nuts to make a small plate to sit between the adapter and bracket, but this was otherwise plug and play. Still to do is to replace the nuts with black ones.

IMG_6213.jpg

The E90 reproduction bracket is accurate, and the OEM plastic trim clips around it as pictured. All that is left to do is to run the camera cable.

IMG_6214.jpg