Thread: Classic Daily E46 M3 cammed LS3 Swap

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Beautiful car.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Beautiful car.
    Thaniel, can't thank you enough for your help with making the electronics work. Car is headed back to me today, really looking forward to driving her when she gets to me next week.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Happy I was able to help.

Looks like Jake has put together a great car for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thaniel

My Cars
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Happy I was able to help.

Looks like Jake has put together a great car for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thaniel
    Thaniel,

can you get all the systems on a canbus car to work without issue? For example, even later BMW's like E90 or E60.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC426 View Post
    Thaniel, can't thank you enough for your help with making the electronics work. Car is headed back to me today, really looking forward to driving her when she gets to me next week.
    Looks awesome! Enjoy!

Let me know if you're ever passing through the UES. I'm there when I'm not traveling or in FL. I'd like to check it out.

Tipsy

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Looks awesome! Enjoy!

Let me know if you're ever passing through the UES. I'm there when I'm not traveling or in FL. I'd like to check it out.

Tipsy
    Definitely. I will be garaging the car in NJ, but will bring it into the City once in a while.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC426 View Post
    Definitely. I will be garaging the car in NJ, but will bring it into the City once in a while.
    I know how that goes. I used to keep my dirt bikes in a buddy's garage in East Rutherford. I rode my street bike to FL last winter and gave up my parking spot in the city. When I tried to get my spot back before this summer, the garage manager (who I always generously tipped at the holidays) told me she gave my spot to a guy with nine cars who's paying $6K a month

Tipsy

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
    can you get all the systems on a canbus car to work without issue? For example, even later BMW's like E90 or E60.
    E90's and E60's use a different set of can bus messages. In should be possible but would take more work. I helped do a similar thing on an Audi EV that has totally different messages. If interested in Can stuff feel free to post in my can bus thread. Link is in my signature.

Thaniel

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Update - went today to get corner balanced and a track alignment. We put the car on the scales, and to our surprise it required zero adjustment - it was already well balanced. The car weighed in at 3555 lbs including driver (~170 lbs) and half a tank of gas. Interestingly, without the added weight of the driver the weight balance was slightly in favor of the rear (1671 lbs front/1714 lbs rear) - very close to 50:50.

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    How's the car running?

Tipsy

My Cars
    14 ATS, 2001 Cobra
    How much do you charge for e36 ls2 swaps?

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ImScaryGrr View Post
    Probably best off to reach him thru his site and put some specifics together

My Cars
    E30 M3
    the 325ix S54 that Jake did last year (or earlier this year, I forget) is up for sale...really trying to keep myself off of BaT to not bid on it
    Those Who Stay Will Be Champions

My Cars
    70 '02 / 85 557e
    Quote Originally Posted by ImScaryGrr View Post
    Yes best to email me. Too many options to really go over on a forum.
    jake@classicdaily.net

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoBLue View Post
    the 325ix S54 that Jake did last year (or earlier this year, I forget) is up for sale...really trying to keep myself off of BaT to not bid on it
    Your's will be done VERY soon. All the little odds and ends take so much time. The list is getting shorter by the day.
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily

My Cars
    E30 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeB View Post
    Yes best to email me. Too many options to really go over on a forum.
    jake@classicdaily.net

- - - Updated - - -

Your's will be done VERY soon. All the little odds and ends take so much time. The list is getting shorter by the day.
    But I need a winter beater
    Those Who Stay Will Be Champions

My Cars
    2000 Tundra TRD
    If this is ever for sale... I'm interested.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Very nicely executed swap. But I'm curious the motivations of the owner? The S54 is a pretty capable engine and makes a lot of the E46 M3 experience what it is. I get dumping LSx's into an E36 with it's "fake" M engine we got here in the US. But this isn't something you see often.

It's cool, but again, just curious.

My Cars
    70 '02 / 85 557e
    In one word.... TORQUE.

The LS that is in this car makes 469 ft/lbs of torque at 4400rpm.
    www.classicdaily.net
    1970 m42 swapped 2002
    1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    In one word.... TORQUE.

Yeah, the S54 isn't a toque monster. But it's an interesting car to pick if you're into torque. Tho the lines of the E46 M3 are undeniable. I think it was the best looking M3 they made. But I'm a little bias...

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Jake gave perfect one word description. TORQUE.

All NA bimmers lack torque badly... By doing this swap, the transformation of this car is amazing. Though it is not as drastic as on e36, but still worlds of difference. Also, on top of performance gains, you're loosing cost and complexity of maintaining S54. Now the part that cost $600 for s54 becomes $150 part available everywhere, which is quite a big deal especially if you use the car for the track as it was intended.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    Man seeing Jake's builds pop up make the want for an LSx E46 sedan come back something fierce...

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Jake gave perfect one word description. TORQUE.

All NA bimmers lack torque badly... By doing this swap, the transformation of this car is amazing. Though it is not as drastic as on e36, but still worlds of difference. Also, on top of performance gains, you're loosing cost and complexity of maintaining S54. Now the part that cost $600 for s54 becomes $150 part available everywhere, which is quite a big deal especially if you use the car for the track as it was intended.
    I can certainly see that. But (at least to me) the S54 is a major part of what makes the E46 M3 special. Sure it's wrung out to within an inch of its life, but that's part of what makes it an engineering work of art.

My Cars
    2005 Legacy
    An LSx motor is also very inexpensive ALL the way around compared to an S54. Not to mention the huge aftermarket support it enjoys. I love the e46 and the S54 but with a LS swap the e46 becomes the car it should be.

My Cars
    '88 635 CSi, '09 X5 4.8
    In one word.... TORQUE.

+1! S54 is a great motor, but the instant torque response on an LS at most any rpm is pretty addictive. The uniqueness of the V8 rumble turns heads at stop lights as well. You'd have to spend a lot of money to get that type of power and torque number from a BMW engine at least without torque lag, heat soak, etc.
    Shea Burns

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shockandAWD View Post
    An LSx motor is also very inexpensive ALL the way around compared to an S54. Not to mention the huge aftermarket support it enjoys. I love the e46 and the S54 but with a LS swap the e46 becomes the car it should be.
    To be fair "car it should be" is all relative. I'd say the opposite and that the S54 is the motor that suits the car's personality. On track the S54 is a pure joy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast