Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Classic Daily E46 M3 cammed LS3 Swap

My Cars
    2005 Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    To be fair "car it should be" is all relative. I'd say the opposite and that the S54 is the motor that suits the car's personality. On track the S54 is a pure joy.
    I have no doubt that the S54 is a pure joy but your original point was to the "why" of it. An S54 out of wrecked (the heart aches to think of it) M3 is incredibly hard to find under $5000 that has been used for less than 100k miles/160k kilometers. An LS (5.3l derivative) can be had for under $500 from any salvage yard. There's a lot of engine updates that can be done for the $4500 difference that the S54 simply can and will not beat at that price point. As for being "pure" BMW? They already use GM transmissions, why not top it off with a supremely capable engine that, as you can see above, doesn't upset the balance of this supreme chassis. In other words. You have your preference and this guy had his.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by shockandAWD View Post
    I have no doubt that the S54 is a pure joy but your original point was to the "why" of it. An S54 out of wrecked (the heart aches to think of it) M3 is incredibly hard to find under $5000 that has been used for less than 100k miles/160k kilometers. An LS (5.3l derivative) can be had for under $500 from any salvage yard. There's a lot of engine updates that can be done for the $4500 difference that the S54 simply can and will not beat at that price point. As for being "pure" BMW? They already use GM transmissions, why not top it off with a supremely capable engine that, as you can see above, doesn't upset the balance of this supreme chassis. In other words. You have your preference and this guy had his.
    No doubt, I wasn't knocking it. Just having the discussion.

But yeah, S54's are expensive to buy...tho they are coming down, but they are still very expensive to run. Rod bearings, the VANOS, etc.

My Cars
    E46
    Can you point me the right direction I have an e46 ls1 t56 running already daily driver I see you made the Ac work that's fantastic man great work!!! I wana make my work if you Can help me out I'm not sure if it's the same bracket your using for ls3 for ls1 but I'm basically using the same car just 325ci
    My email is rollitthoo@gmail.com thanks again and thaniel is looking out for me also on the cluster that cluster looks super nice and that shifter set up great work man!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    Very nicely executed swap. But I'm curious the motivations of the owner? The S54 is a pretty capable engine and makes a lot of the E46 M3 experience what it is. I get dumping LSx's into an E36 with it's "fake" M engine we got here in the US. But this isn't something you see often.

It's cool, but again, just curious.
    I'm only catching up on this thread now. My motivations were a bit more complex for this car: I have always been a fan of V8 engines, and wanted a V8 powered lightweight, manual transmission coupe or sedan (with rear seats) with full interior, with awesome handling, whose weight I could drop to 3200 lbs without sacrificing too many creature comforts. That car does not exist for a reasonable price. Building it was the only way to go.

I ended up stroking the motor to a 416 with a nice sized camshaft, and the car makes about 510 rwhp/470 rwtq at peak on a Mustang dyno.
    2001 E46 M3
    416 LS3/T56 Magnum transmission/Cam Motion LLSR camshaft/Frankenstein heads/102mm TB/FAST LXR intake/Vorschlag 1.75" headers/2.5" Supersprint exhaust
    JRZ RS coilovers

My Cars
    1997 LS1 M3, 2004 330xi
    God that thing must move! Any videos

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Unfortunately not while driving. I will try to capture some footage my next time at the track.
    2001 E46 M3
    416 LS3/T56 Magnum transmission/Cam Motion LLSR camshaft/Frankenstein heads/102mm TB/FAST LXR intake/Vorschlag 1.75" headers/2.5" Supersprint exhaust
    JRZ RS coilovers

My Cars
    E46 330iT,2502tii,e30M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeB View Post
    It's actually already running.... I'll post the entire build as I update pictures and write it up but here is a video of the beast....

Nice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123