Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Project: LS/T56 swap into a 2003 E39 M5

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Thanks and I agree.

What makes TIG harder, at least for me, is that there are so many things that need to be right in order to make a sound weld. Arc length used, rod size, torch angle, welding amps, travel speed, material cleanliness, type of rod and tungsten used, welding mode (AC vs. DC), shielding gas flow, etc.

Jim I felt the same way having watched other people TIG but when I tried it myself for the very first time, I couldn't breath and weld at the same time lol! I also found it difficult coordinating dipping the rod and moving the torch. Half the time I ended up contaminating the tungsten with the rod

Definitely, pick up a welder and start laying beads. You'll enjoy it.

Btw, Mike's cluster shipped back yesterday. Let me know how things work out.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Excellent description of the myriad factors that make TIG a tough skill to tackle!

For me (old), and especially for my dad, it was extremely helpful to use 1.75 prescription cheater lenses. All of the sudden you aren't dipping the tungsten in the puddle any more, and everything becomes "possible" instead of extremely frustrating and nearly impossible. I believe this is likely true for everyone, even young guys, just so you can be closer to the puddle/arc, and see what you're doing as well as possible.

I started with some Walter White looking 1.75 reading glasses I got at Walmart or Menards or somewhere. They were awesome when welding, but needed to be taken off between welding passes when working on setting things up to weld.

Then I got a cheater lens insert for my sweet Lincoln helmet. They are very inexpensive, and work awesomely other than if you leave your helmet out in the cold garage during the winter. If you do, every time you go to weld the cheater and the inside of the main viewing window in the helmet fog up and it's impossible to see... Then it's time to press the Walter White reading glasses back into service. Lol
    Last edited by tptrsn; 06-18-2015 at 11:02 AM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks for the tips guys. I do have some 2.0 and maybe 2.25 cheaters.
    Hope to start practicing in a few day, everything should arrive by Sat.

Thanks for the cluster work, I'll let him know.

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    Any updates? Im loving this build!

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I do have updates just haven't had time to post them.

A/C
    I got quite a bit done on the A/C system. First was fabricating the A/C lines. I'm using the stock steel lines. I cut off the BMW hose ends and added a section of steel tubing that will tie the BMW line to the A/C fitting I had machined. I have yet to do the final welding.

Suction hose. Before final welding

Pressure hose

Next up was the AC pressure switch. I took the BMW pressure switch, cut off most of it until I was left with just the part that threads into the A/C line. I then welded the switch port that accepts the GM AC pressure switch. The A/C system is 90% done.

Gutted BMW switch and GM switch port

Welded

Installed

Cruise Control

I really want functional cruise control on this car so I went about figuring how to get it to work. When using an E38 ECU, the BCM receives the message from the cruise control switch and sends it to the ECU via CANBUS. The messages from the switch to the BCM are analog; the BCM sends 5V which goes through a resistor ladder within the switch then back to the BCM. It uses the change in voltage to determine which switch is pushed. The BCM also monitors the brake switch both in terms of on/off status and % pressed (the brake switch is a potentiometer). The E38 ECU monitors the clutch position switch (same part # as the brake switch) directly.

In order to get this to work, I purchased a used BCM out of a '13 Camaro SS, a cruise control switch from a 5th Gen Camaro, and brake pedal switch. I hooked them up on the bench and was able to get the BCM to send the cruise control messages over CANBUS. This was very encouraging. Initially, I will use the Camaro switch and BCM in the car and later on I hope to add code to Thaniel's module to have it send the cruise control messages instead of the BCM. I have not been successful in identifying what type of message the BMW cruise control switch sends so for now I will use the Camaro switch in the car.

More on the CC later.

bench setup. The fuse panel is from the 528i I parted out. It comes in handy for projects like this.
    Left to right: brake switch, cruise switch, Beaglebone Black for reading the CAN messages, protoboard that is mimicking the Camaro ignition switch modes, BCM.

Headers

Work continues on the exhaust albeit slowly. I spent most of last week mocking up the driver's side header. I'm using PVC bends; they work surprisingly well. I have the mock up done so it is time to start cutting and welding. More to come.

You know how you know it is taking you too long to finish your project? When your fabricated steel parts start developing surface rust!

Tube 7 proposed route

Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Plumbers pipe, great work. Tricky keeping the angles but that blue tape seems to be working well.
    Nice work, though interference headers would be cool. No where near enough room though.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Looks good. Are you going to have the PCV ceramic coated to deal with the heat?
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    You have been a busy BEE, build looking great especially the work you did on ac

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    looks great. some BBQ paint on the PVC should prevent them from melting parts around them.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    This line is the winner! Hahaha!!!

Schitzo, your skill set is either amazing, or it is becoming amazing! Have you always been an electronics genius?

Have you been able to make progress on the engine build, or just concentrating on this other stuff?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    some BBQ paint on the PVC should prevent them from melting parts around them.
    Haha, also good!

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Plumbers pipe, great work. Tricky keeping the angles but that blue tape seems to be working well.
    Nice work, though interference headers would be cool. No where near enough room though.
    Actually most of the joints fit into each other quite tightly so you can hold the angle you need. The only down side is you are limited to 45, 60, and 90 degree bends. The pipes are also bigger than the tubing I'll use; they are ~1.9" OD.
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    Of course I'll have them ceramic coated. Not only do they keep the engine bay temps down but the heat retention within the header is worth a few HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1NAWTY5 View Post
    You have been a busy BEE, build looking great especially the work you did on ac
    Thanks
    looks great. some BBQ paint on the PVC should prevent them from melting parts around them.

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    This line is the winner! Hahaha!!!

Schitzo, your skill set is either amazing, or it is becoming amazing! Have you always been an electronics genius?

Have you been able to make progress on the engine build, or just concentrating on this other stuff?
    Thanks
    Electrical genius? Far from it; I'm more of a tinkerer
    Edit: I missed the engine build question. No, I have not started on the build yet. I want to finish the fabrication stuff first then assemble the engine.
    Last edited by Schitzo; 07-28-2015 at 08:41 PM.

Build Thread

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    looking forward to more updates, I always really enjoy your detailed posts.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Thanks Norb. Glad you enjoy it. There is more to come.

Build Thread

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    If you're interested, get in touch with AKNovaman on LS1Tech. He's been working with someone to develop an E38 cruise control solution without the need for a BCM. I have an E40, so I didn't ask the particulars but the last time we spoke, I think he said they've just about got it squared away.

Tipsy

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Funny you should say that; I did in fact send him a PM when I was doing the initial research. I wanted to know if the BCM needed to have the same Vin as the ECU in order to function. He wasn't sure. My findings (on the work bench) suggest it will work even if there is a Vin mismatch. Of course, that remains to be seen on the actual car.

Build Thread

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Funny you should say that; I did in fact send him a PM when I was doing the initial research. I wanted to know if the BCM needed to have the same Vin as the ECU in order to function. He wasn't sure. My findings (on the work bench) suggest it will work even if there is a Vin mismatch. Of course, that remains to be seen on the actual car.
    I don't know when you corresponded with him about the BCM VIN, but the solution they've developed uses an Ardunio to send the signal.

Tipsy

My Cars
    '01 BMW 540i, '91 DSM

Agreed.

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Love this build!
    Interested to learn more about the oil temp gauge/tach warm up lights on the m5 cluster, do you have that documented somewhere that I missed?

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    Love this build!
    Interested to learn more about the oil temp gauge/tach warm up lights on the m5 cluster, do you have that documented somewhere that I missed?
    I don't believe I have documented it in this thread but the two thread below have all the info you would want to know on the oil temp gauge and warm up lights.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...old-threads%29
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ghlight=canbus

Build Thread

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Schitzo, hope that it schedule 40 plastic, it should last a few seconds longer.

If it's not proprietary what size stainless tubing are you going to be using?

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I haven't decided yet but it'll be either of the following (I don't have the lengths handy at the moment):

1.75" stepped to 1.88" for the primary tubes then stepped to dual 2.00" and finally to 3.00" at the collector exit.
    1.88" for the primary tubes then stepped to dual 2.00" and finally to 3.00" at the collector exit.

I'm leaning toward the latter. Them some fat pipes!!

How is Mike's car doing?

Build Thread

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    He's got the throttle cable it and connected after you told us about that hole to go thru.
    Custom driveshaft is in, the engine is running. He was going to work on the shift linkage next.
    I've been doing some work travel and was on vacation in CO all last week so I haven't spent much time on it in the last 3 weeks. My rear M bumper and exhaust didn't leave me much spare time.
    Hoping to get over there this week to do more electrical.
    He hooked up the alt using a resistor but that doesn't do any regulation so that needs to be looked into.
    Wish there were more hours in a day.
    My TIG is improving. Took the 40CF tank back to Airgas and swapped it for a 60. A bigger tank would be nice, but the 60 is easy to transport.

My Cars
    14 ATS, 2001 Cobra
    After this you guys can start on mine!

My Cars
    335ti 360ti x5-6.0tt

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    Hope Thanksgiving was good to everyone . Its been awhile since an update on your build
    Last edited by 1NAWTY5; 11-27-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast