Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My New Project: LS/T56 swap into a 2003 E39 M5

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    That channel is a great channel on YT for learning Mig/Tig welding and other cool tricks.
    Yes sir, after watching a few hours his tips, I had the confidence to buy a tig welder and start tig welding
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I finished most of the welding for the passenger side header over the weekend but stopped shy of welding the tubes to the flange. I'd like make the tack welds while the header is installed on the engine. This is so that I can ensure it will fit exactly as intended after final welding. I'm reluctant to tack weld it off the car lest the tubes move and result in a compromised fit. I will plan to drop the engine and subframe so that I have ample room to make the tacks. I will wait to do so until the driver side header is done save for welding the tubes to the flange.

Primary tubes welded. I did redo the #2 tube since the last update.

On the car. It's taken A LOT of hours to get here but I'm very happy with the way it fits which makes all those hours worthwhile. Time to start on the driver's side.
    Last edited by Schitzo; 05-13-2016 at 10:36 AM.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Those might be the sexiest headers that I've seen.
    Keep going!!!!!!!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    How is it that you always seem to find the greatest fabrication content on YouTube Robert? Those guys are phenomenal!!!

I don't remember if we discussed it, but I have heard that you shouldn't use HF arc start on the car for the safety of all of the modules, and we know e39s have more than their fair share of those.... If you're running an AHP like me, it seems that you can just lift start it without ever changing any settings to do so. My only reservation on that statement is that I have had the 2015 and 2016 models of the AHP, and if yours is the 2014 one, I'm only guessing that it functions the same.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    Those might be the sexiest headers that I've seen.
    Keep going!!!!!!!
    Thanks. I do rather like how it turned out. Hope the driver side will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    How is it that you always seem to find the greatest fabrication content on YouTube Robert? Those guys are phenomenal!!!
    I have to entertain myself somehow and since I don't watch much TV, I need an alternative.

I don't remember if we discussed it, but I have heard that you shouldn't use HF arc start on the car for the safety of all of the modules, and we know e39s have more than their fair share of those.... If you're running an AHP like me, it seems that you can just lift start it without ever changing any settings to do so. My only reservation on that statement is that I have had the 2015 and 2016 models of the AHP, and if yours is the 2014 one, I'm only guessing that it functions the same.
    I have heard about that but never looked into it. Certainly seems plausible so I do try to avoid welding on the car as much as possible. My welder does have lift arc but have never tried it.
    Speaking of modules, I happen to have most of them off the car since I have been doing some coding and CAN-BUS on the work bench over the past year. I think the only module that is currently in the car is General Module.
    Last edited by Schitzo; 04-20-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Lift arc works GREAT on mine Robert! Shoot me an email or something if you need a bit more detail before you try it. It's simple as can be, but feels totally wrong the first time you try it.

My Cars
    2004 545i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Yes sir, after watching a few hours his tips, I had the confidence to buy a tig welder and start tig welding
    modular93fox - I see in your sig you swapped in an 8.8 cobra diff. Is this feasible in an e60 545i ?

Previous mustang gt owner here and tired of not being able to break the rear end loose

Sorry to hijack this thread. Feel free to pm me

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Same level of fabrication required in either chassis.. easy enough
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I have not worked on the car since my last update in mid April. Having finished the rear exhaust section and most of the passenger side header, I was feeling burned out; I guess two months of nothing but exhaust fab work finally caught with me. Rather than keep pushing, I decided to take a break from the garage and work on something different. Outside of cars, home theater stuff is my other hobby so I decided to focus on that while away from the garage. This house, and part of the reason we bought it, came with a dedicated movie theater built by the previous owners. All I needed to do was the AV stuff; no major construction was needed.

My previous home theater setup was a 5.1 system that I put together back in 2004; it is now dated so I decided to go with a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 setup. I watched Fifth Element and Mission Impossible Rogue Nation, both of which include an Atmos track, and was completely blown away at how much better the Atmos setup is compared to the 5.1. Next up I need to mount the projector. At 34 pounds, it needs a study mount. I bought a swivel base but will fabricate the pieces that join the swivel base to the projector and to the ceiling joists. Anyway, time to get back to the garage. First up, the driver side header.

As with the passenger side header, I started by installing parts that could potentially interfere with the header. One of those is the driver side knock sensor. The gen IV block I will be using has its knock sensor mount on the lower side of the block however, the LS1 that is currently on the car does not the have same knock sensor mount as the gen IV block. As such, I needed a way to mount the knock sensor to the LS1 block. I started by making this little bracket.

I then mounted it to one of the 10 mm holes on the side of the LS1 block.

I will be making a heat shield to protect the heater valve so I mocked that out of cardboard. I then mocked the header. That's it for now.

Build Thread

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Me thinks you need to go into business.
    I'm pretty pleased with the ceramic coating. The PS line and heater valves aren't really getting anywhere as hot as I thought they would.
    Keep up the good work.

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Save the theater for winter, summer is for cars and bbq!
    6 spd swap, M5 diff, M5 steering box, B&G springs, G.A.S. Monoballs, M5 rear chasis braces, Eibach rear swaybar, EBC red brk pads, EBC slotted rear rotors,
    StopTech frt rotors, StopTech brk hoses, aFe CAI, 4" MAF, M60 Manifold, N62 Throttle Body, DUDMD Stg 2+ w/ SAP & EWS Deletes,
    muffler delete w/ Magnaflow tips, 18x8/9 style 69, BMW lip spoiler, Hella G4 projectors, & 1.4 bar coolant cap.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Think you forgot the beer.

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Think you forgot the beer.
    Nope, beer has no season, year round enjoyment!
    6 spd swap, M5 diff, M5 steering box, B&G springs, G.A.S. Monoballs, M5 rear chasis braces, Eibach rear swaybar, EBC red brk pads, EBC slotted rear rotors,
    StopTech frt rotors, StopTech brk hoses, aFe CAI, 4" MAF, M60 Manifold, N62 Throttle Body, DUDMD Stg 2+ w/ SAP & EWS Deletes,
    muffler delete w/ Magnaflow tips, 18x8/9 style 69, BMW lip spoiler, Hella G4 projectors, & 1.4 bar coolant cap.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Me thinks you need to go into business.
    I'm pretty pleased with the ceramic coating. The PS line and heater valves aren't really getting anywhere as hot as I thought they would.
    Keep up the good work.
    Glad the ceramic coating is working well for you. I am still on the fence.
    GL with the move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Save the theater for winter, summer is for cars and bbq!
    The break was much needed for sanity's sake but not to worry, I am back in the garage.

Build Thread

My Cars
    2004 Volvo S60 (SOLD)
    Man, this is a great build!

Your work on the headers is simply outstanding.

I'm planning on building an LS E39 as well, but I'm poor haha

Planning on buying an engine (I don't even have tools, I'll start by getting an engine stand) and start building that, then get the car. This way I don't have to wait until I have money, I can do my build in parts. I got quoted around $416 for an Express Van engine with ECU and harness, no accessories, here in Mexico.

At my uncle's shop they MIG weld (the one where you weld with a stick, is it MIG) a lot. I tried learning but sucked at it, maybe I should stick with it (pun intended) to lower costs and fabricate my own stuff like you.

I really am impressed haha. How do you measured the tubing so headers are equal? Do you use cables?
    For a moment I thought you were going turbo. I hope you get your car completed soon and enjoy. So much hard work will pay off.
    BTW, nice AV setup in your home. It's a hobby of mine too. Any plans for the sound system in the M5?

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by sanpt7777 View Post
    Man, this is a great build!

Your work on the headers is simply outstanding.

At my uncle's shop they MIG weld (the one where you weld with a stick, is it MIG) a lot.
    Sounds like stick welding

I really am impressed haha. How do you measured the tubing so headers are equal? Do you use cables?
    They are not equal length but are within 1 inch of each other. I determined length based on the number of Iceengine blocks used on each tube. The blocks are roughly 1" long so the total number of blocks used per tube equates to the length of the tube.

For a moment I thought you were going turbo. I hope you get your car completed soon and enjoy. So much hard work will pay off.
    No turbo. I did however, consider going with a centrifugal supercharger. Even started drawing a bracket to hold the supercharger head. Ultimately, I decided on big cube N/A.
    BTW, nice AV setup in your home. It's a hobby of mine too. Any plans for the sound system in the M5?
    Sound system will remain stock (M-audio)

Build Thread

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Updates? Cant believe I have not clicked this amazing thread until now! Great work!
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    No updates. Between work and my wedding, I just haven't had time to work on the car in the past 3 weeks.

Build Thread

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    What....you need to get your priorities straightened out. (j/k)
    I've got the same issues with the new house in NM.
    i did make it all the way from MA to NM with only one CEL.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-22-2016 at 01:43 AM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Whoa, you guys are knocking out some major life accomplishments -- Congratulations!! Hope everything is going well for you both!

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    What....you need to get your priorities straightened out. (j/k)
    I've got the same issues with the new house in NM.
    i did make it all the way from MA to NM with only one CEL.
    I have been meaning to email to see how things were going with the move. Good to hear you made it out there.
    My priorities are now back in line.......see below.

Whoa, you guys are knocking out some major life accomplishments -- Congratulations!! Hope everything is going well for you both!
    Thanks Thad!

Got in the garage this weekend. Started working on the driver side header yesterday and made a lot of progress. Very happy with how much I got done. I am starting to see a tiny little light at the end of this tunnel .

Steering rod clearance. Plenty of room between the rod and tubes. However, I will add a heatshield to protect the steering rod U-joint like BMW does for right hand cars.

Build Thread

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That is some BEAUTIFUL fitup Robert!! You've been doing work.

My Cars
    '01 540i/6, '98 528i/5
    Glad to see you're back at it! Going to have to bring some gin down and watch you work some Friday night.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    not sure how i've missed this thread until now.
    fantastic build. the headers are art.
    got me feeling like a bum for not working on my own swap. i'm still porting my heads and haven't touched them in a month.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Glad to see you're back at it! Going to have to bring some gin down and watch you work some Friday night.
    I'll be working in the garage Friday so definitely stop by. I have plenty of the good stuff so just bring your palate.

Build Thread

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast