My Cars
    2004 E53 X5, 3.0 Diesel

2004 E53 - Rear Door Locking Issue

Hey Guys,

I have seen a few posts on here similar to the issues I am having but being old not sure if anyone has seen/Updated them any time recently, So thought I would reach out for help here.

The issue I am having is that my Rear Doors do not unlock, including the bottom side of my tail gate, the Lights on the tail gate and the Fuel release latch, The issue is now happening almost all the time but will occasionally work, the other strange thing is that sometimes when I have been driving for a while if I push the centre lock button it will unlock them all but only if I have been driving for some time and it is rare that it works.

I have checked the Fuses in the tail gate Fuse box and all okay along with also checking the ones in the top of the glove box also seem to be all okay, I have also tried to grease the locking mechanisims in the door to see if it was an issue with the contacts but nope no luck with this, Also checked to make sure that the child lock is not on and confirmed it is off.

Anyone that has had this issue and fixed it or heard about it please help me out, I am really keen on getting this sorted as I am worried it will be a on going issue specally if someone is in the back seat and an accident happens.

Thanks guys.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    This may not be much help...but the rear door lock actuators are controlled by the GM. And the e39 sedan & Touring had a common failure with locks, trunk/tailgate gate, and licence plate light isues dou to a wiring harness failure...wherethe wires would either totally break or chafe in the large loom that went from the trunk/tailgate intoo the body of the car.

If you were to pull the corrugated rubber boot back, many times you'd discover the damaged wires.

Just a thought.

(you can see the broken wire in the trunk/tailgate loom in the highlighted orange box in top pic below)

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4i

Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by DGC92 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have seen a few posts on here similar to the issues I am having but being old not sure if anyone has seen/Updated them any time recently, So thought I would reach out for help here.

The issue I am having is that my Rear Doors do not unlock, including the bottom side of my tail gate, the Lights on the tail gate and the Fuel release latch, The issue is now happening almost all the time but will occasionally work, the other strange thing is that sometimes when I have been driving for a while if I push the centre lock button it will unlock them all but only if I have been driving for some time and it is rare that it works.

I have checked the Fuses in the tail gate Fuse box and all okay along with also checking the ones in the top of the glove box also seem to be all okay, I have also tried to grease the locking mechanisims in the door to see if it was an issue with the contacts but nope no luck with this, Also checked to make sure that the child lock is not on and confirmed it is off.

Anyone that has had this issue and fixed it or heard about it please help me out, I am really keen on getting this sorted as I am worried it will be a on going issue specally if someone is in the back seat and an accident happens.

Thanks guys.

Hello. I am new to this blog, and now looking for help with my 2004 BMW X5 4.4i
    I am having the exact same issue that you mentioned. Please help if you ever figured out this issue.
    Thank you so much. 🙂

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Did you try doing as Qsilver7 mentioned above?
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner