Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 Coin Holder Replacement - Designs by Request

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is

E36 Coin Holder Replacement - Designs by Request

I have designed and started 3D printing replacement inserts for the coin holder on E36 cars. The following options are all available with FREE SHIPPING anywhere in the United States. You choose the color! Current options are Red, White (pictured), Blue, and Black. I will order more colors with sufficient demand.

1) Phone Mount (Includes iOttie One Touch Mount, $20 on Amazon!) - $40 with FREE SHIPPING. Choose Red, White (pictured), Blue, or Black.

This phone mount fits conveniently behind your shifter and can be adjusted 360 degrees with some tilt ability.

2) Ashtray Container - $40 with FREE SHIPPING. Choose Red, White (pictured), Blue, or Black.

This container replaces the factory ashtray with a large container (approximately 4.5" x 2.2" x 3.2" of storage space). This container maximizes the space available in your center console to give a large storage volume that is a significant improvement over the factory ashtray.

More pictures can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/Q27dA#0

3) Custom Insert that I will help you design, possibilities are endless! - $Price based on part. Choose Red, White, Blue, or Black.

For this insert, I will work with you (either by phone, email, or in person if you are close to College Park, MD) and we will design an insert to accomplish any goal you may have. The possibilities are endless!

Payments can be made using:
    PayPal - send payment to todd.draper@myactv.net
    Dwolla - send payment to paintball_player008@yahoo.com

Thanks for looking! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jesse
    Last edited by JD8; 11-27-2014 at 10:53 PM.

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    it would be cool to mold them to difference phones with a built in charger/hidden cord.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe LS1
    It would be cool if it moved the phone off to the passenger side a little to the right of the shifter. I had something like that in my CTS-V and it was excellent. I feel like it may get in the way if spirited driving were to occur.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Wow, this is cool. What I'd love to get is a replacement for my factory ash tray or cup holder that is just an open (and deep) bin for misc stuff. Kinda like your coin holder replacement, but larger. BMW made one, but they are basically unobtainable anymore. I bet if you made one of these, you'd sell a crap ton of them. I'd buy one for sure.

#2 on this diagram.

Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 11-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdshotM3 View Post
    it would be cool to mold them to difference phones with a built in charger/hidden cord.
    I could do that. Would you be less interested in a setup like that if you needed to do wiring to get the charging cord to power?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xbladr View Post
    It would be cool if it moved the phone off to the passenger side a little to the right of the shifter. I had something like that in my CTS-V and it was excellent. I feel like it may get in the way if spirited driving were to occur.
    Do you think it would get annoying for the passenger if it were moved over more? I'll make one where it is moved over and post within a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    Wow, this is cool. What I'd love to get is a replacement for my factory ash tray or cup holder that is just an open (and deep) bin for misc stuff. Kinda like your coin holder replacement, but larger. BMW made one, but they are basically unobtainable anymore. I bet if you made one of these, you'd sell a crap ton of them. I'd buy one for sure.

#2 on this diagram.

Done! This container is the same size as the the little compartment with a lid that comes from the factory (the piece highest up in your image). I can also make one that is the length of that container with a lid plus a cup holder. Let me know!

*Dimensions are in inches

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5

Quote Originally Posted by JD8 View Post
    Done! This container is the same size as the the little compartment with a lid that comes from the factory (the piece highest up in your image). I can also make one that is the length of that container with a lid plus a cup holder. Let me know!

*Dimensions are in inches
    A large size bin that could replace a cup holder and ashtray would be even better! Great idea.
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 11-06-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5

I just checked my car and I think that "large size" bin would require modifications to the console tray because of the two cross braces. You'd need to cut one, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

The front and center sections are the same size and fit the ash tray or cup holder and coin holder. The rear section is smaller and only fits the cup holder.

So if you wanted, you could also make a super mega sized bin that would replace the coin holder, cup holder, and ash tray and fill the front two sections. Or make one in the size you mentioned which would replace a cup holder and ash tray and fill the center section and rear section.

Decisions decisions

Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 11-06-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by JD8 View Post
    I could do that. Would you be less interested in a setup like that if you needed to do wiring to get the charging cord to power?
    Yes I would be less interested. However, I think you've got some really really cool here. If you could redesign the original cup holders to be deeper for the front sections of the console, that would be amazing.

coin holder replacement phone mount, two deep cup holders, and one big misc. items tray would be awesome.

My Cars
    98/M3/4, 05 M3 Vert
    Sub'd

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe LS1
    I think Coldshot hit the nail on the head. "coin holder replacement phone mount, two deep cup holders, and one big misc. items tray" That would be an absolutely perfect setup. I am going to be honest I care a little less about my passenger than I do about it getting in the way of my shifting all the time. Not to mention I drive solo most of the time.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Printer in action! In addition, I am working on several other setups now and will post CAD drawings when they are complete. Thanks for the continued support everyone, be sure to continue letting me know if you have any additional questions, suggestions, or ideas!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Ashtray replacement containers are shipping! I also added a Paypal payment option.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 750iL

I've been looking for an ashtray replacement for a long time. This is very intriguing
    Last edited by samuraidan; 11-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.

1998 M3 Alpine White
    1990 325i Alpine White
    1988 750iL Bronzit over Saddle Brown Racing Dynamics tribute
    1994 325iS NASA Spec3 build

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by samuraidan View Post
    I've been looking for an ashtray replacement for a long time. This is very intriguing
    PM'd

- - - Updated - - -

The ashtray container is now available as a large open container or with a smaller raised and divided portion as seen below.

If anyone has any other suggestions or changes they would like to see just let me know and I can make it happen. Also, I am currently working on a more functional cup holder.

Thanks,

Jesse

My Cars
    1999 ///m
    Subbed as well, let me see if I can come up with a vertical phone holder to go in place of the coin tray. Might be interested in the horizontal holder though

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    I'm having problems seeing all the pics but I would go for a phone holder, two bigger or functional cup holders and a large storage bin. Interested immediately as I'm putting my interior back together as we speak. Awesome stuff. Can't believe wait to see all the ideas. Maybe a whole new console and setup to reinvent things. So cool! Thanks for all your work and ingenuity. Awesome plug for sure.

My Cars
    95 s/cM3,93 332is turbo,96 chevy dually, 73 camaro
    I have a racelogic traction control digital controller installed in my ashtray now. Would be cool if you could make a housing for it to fit in in the ashtray spot. Do you think you could do that?

My Cars
    95 s/cM3,93 332is turbo,96 chevy dually, 73 camaro
    Bump?

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    Bump and yeah I'd like to know about availability on obtaining a holder or two in the near future

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy223 View Post
    Subbed as well, let me see if I can come up with a vertical phone holder to go in place of the coin tray. Might be interested in the horizontal holder though
    The holder shown in the images can actually be rotated to make the phone vertical. I am currently on vacation but will have a design for you by the 19th. I am also going to be doing a lot of updates to this thread with new items at that time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    I have a racelogic traction control digital controller installed in my ashtray now. Would be cool if you could make a housing for it to fit in in the ashtray spot. Do you think you could do that?
    I could definitely do that. However, in order to make the holder the correct size I would need to have the controller in front of me. This could definitely make things more difficult.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EstorilB View Post
    Bump and yeah I'd like to know about availability on obtaining a holder or two in the near future
    I am currently on vacation but will PM you as soon as I return and start printing again. I have taken several orders in the meantime though and am keeping track of everything that needs to be printed and sent out when I return. Feel free to send your payment through Paypal to todd.draper@myactv.net or through Dwolla to paintball_player008@yahoo.com. I will have all orders shipped by the 20th of January at the absolute latest (I return from vacation on the 18th).

If you would rather wait until then, I will PM you when I return!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    Bump?
    forrest, I apologize to you and everyone else who was waiting for a reply from me on this thread. I made a mistake and was not set up to receive updates on new posts. I fixed the problem and now will be responding much more quickly.

My Cars
    323iC & Z3
    JD - functional cup holder and phone holder sounds good.
    I would even like to see the printer in action.
    Would not be a bad drive to Hagerstown as I go up to Winchester quite frequently (weekends - no snow, etc.)
    PM when you get back from vacay.
    Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier!

'99 323iC auto . . . . . . . . . . . . . '99 Z3 2.3 auto
    '02 530i SP manual (sold). . . . . '99 R1200C manual of course (sold)
    '08 X5 3.0si auto (sold) . . . . . . . '98 528i manual (sold)
    '94 318iC manual (sold) . . . . . . .'00 Z-3 manual (sold)
    '00 323Ci manual (given to daughter- she traded it for an '08 328 'vert)
    BMWCCA # 168243

My Cars
    1999 ///m
    Sweet, looking forward to it.

My Cars
    E36 318is, E36 320ic
    Great work there OP, nice to see things like this being thought of

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy223 View Post
    Sweet, looking forward to it.
    In order to make a vertical phone holder the mount will need to replace both the front cupholder and the coin holder (or just the ashtray depending on your configuration). Otherwise either the arm rest will cover the phone when it's down or the shifter will hit the phone. This is what will have to happen unless you're ok with the arm rest covering a lot of the phone when it's folded down.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    I want! I want! I need! Ok well I'm telling myself that but really when do you think you'll have those ready. I'd like the phone holder as vertical design and a decent cupholder and a single main compartment as of now sounds good. I know some kind of boost controller mounts or brackets for the console or glovebox could become a popular item too possibly and shoot how about a cheaper choice for a go pro mounts and such. $$$!!! Can't wait. Put me down for those three in the console asap. Thanks for the awesome job and opportunity to really confidently hold our drinks securely at 90mph around an inside 90°. Lol! Funds awaiting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast