Thread: Change VIN in E39 M5 DME

My Cars
    89 Peugeot 505 SWX

Question Change VIN in E39 M5 DME

We are a workshop that maintains historic race cars and this M5 belongs to the owner of a body shop that does work for us. We obtained a used DME module because the original has a bad amp for one of the O2 inputs. We can't align the EWS and DME because the scan tool says the VIN's don't match. We got a cable and INPA with WINkfp and NCS Expert but can't see how to just change the VIN in the new (used) ECU. The two ECUs have matching numbers. We don't want to reprogram, just change the VIN if that's possible. We have searched the forums and found some instructions on recoding, but nothing on just changing the VIN, although it looks like some have done it. Can someone please give some basic instructions for doing so or just post a link if they already exist? Thanks so much for your help, Tim, Hudson Historics (We have a duplicate post in BMWcoders hoping to gather the maximum expert opinions)

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Send me an email/private message with your contact info.
    Also feel free to like my facebook page and message me there.

If you're lucky and are able to change the VIN, the vehicle still won't start as the EWS won't align until the DME is virginized.
    I can virginize your DME or do a complete clone of your old DME.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    89 Peugeot 505 SWX
    We ultimately sent the DME, EWS and a key to RPM Motorsports for reprogramming with the correct VIN and life is good. Thanks, Tim

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    It's pretty easy to do it yourself for whatever it's worth. Read out the EEPROMs using your preferred tool (I prefer to use a BDM interface). On the master side, clear everything from 0x4800 -> 0x5D11 and 0x5D50 to 0x7FFF. On the slave side, clear everything from 0x3FE4 -> 0x5d00 and 0x5D80 -> 0x7FFF. This will put the DME in a virgin state. At this point, flash it with WinKFP with your VIN, and sync EWS with INPA. DME will boot right up.

Alternatively if you don't care about the VIN matching or EWS working, you can just delete EWS. If you read the partial read (via galletto, MPPS, BMWFlash, etc), all you have to do is set 0x5A to any value other than 0. Engine will start right up

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    It's pretty easy to do it yourself for whatever it's worth. Read out the EEPROMs using your preferred tool (I prefer to use a BDM interface). On the master side, clear everything from 0x4800 -> 0x5D11 and 0x5D50 to 0x7FFF. On the slave side, clear everything from 0x3FE4 -> 0x5d00 and 0x5D80 -> 0x7FFF. This will put the DME in a virgin state. At this point, flash it with WinKFP with your VIN, and sync EWS with INPA. DME will boot right up.

Alternatively if you don't care about the VIN matching or EWS working, you can just delete EWS. If you read the partial read (via galletto, MPPS, BMWFlash, etc), all you have to do is set 0x5A to any value other than 0. Engine will start right up

Ive been digging for BDM pinouts for the ME7.2 can you shed any light on that subject. Only place I can google to is another forum with paid sub

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by zarboz View Post
    Ive been digging for BDM pinouts for the ME7.2 can you shed any light on that subject. Only place I can google to is another forum with paid sub

BDM? You can just do simple boot mode read and writes just like the MS42 and MS43.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S